It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA scientist says he is 95% sure there is life on Mars!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
I don't think it is an unfounded belief.

All beliefs are unfounded. That's what makes them beliefs and not facts. Of course, you can hypothesize and try to extrapolate and theorize, but until you actually find hard, independently verifiable and agreed upon evidence leading to proof of life somewhere other than Earth -- of which there is absolutely none so far -- it's just all guesswork and fantasy.

Here's the rub, though, and it's an old, old rub. If E.T. life is so likely to exist, and potentially abundant, why haven't we found it yet? The more there is out there, the easier it should be to find, right? So where is it?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Originally posted by Char-Lee
Please look at what we call EXTREMOPHILES they may be NORMAL elsewhere.

Of course. But we still only have examples of them found on Earth. Nowhere else.

It is near impossible to find conditions where life does not grow.

You mean apart from everywhere else we look in space.

I would think the only ones not just waiting till they announce it are religious persons who believe the "heavens" were only created for man to gaze at in wonder.

They have found organic sugar molecules...

The discovery doesn't prove that life has developed elsewhere in the universe—but it implies that there is no reason it could not. It shows that the carbon-rich molecules that are the building blocks of life can be present even before planets have begun forming

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Giant bodies of water..

It's only the "largest and farthest reservoir of water ever detected in the universe," and it weighs in at 140 trillion times the amount in our oceans.

www.engadget.com...

Claims of life fossils from space still being argued by scientists.

The paper is very clear: a NASA scientist is claiming to have found aliens and he has written a paper titled "Fossils of Cyanobacteria in CI1 Carbonaceous Meteorites"

news.discovery.com...

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Using data collected by researchers at Ohio State University, astronomers have found vast quantities of pure alcohol in an interstellar cloud some 10,000 light years from Earth.

researchnews.osu.edu...

A characteristic feature of the Orion spectrum is the spectral richness: among the molecules that can be identified in this spectrum are water, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, methanol, dimethyl ether, hydrogen cyanide, sulphur oxide, sulphur dioxide and their isotope analogues. It is expected that new organic molecules will also be identified.

www.science20.com...
edit on 15-11-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
in fact the idea that mars might hosts microbiological life is not that new.
there were unexplained traces of formaldehyd in the athmosphere detect by orbiters.
unexplained, because there should be a source for it which is capable to produce it on a constant basis.
The viking landers had an experiment on board which tested specific things regarding microbiological life.

Now the trouble is: the results are debated, and till today scientists can not agree on what they actually found there. The experiments could be a false indication, or in fact microbiological life.

this ongoing debate is blocking affords to send up a new experiment up there detecting microbiological life, cause scientists want to have an undisputable evidence, in order not to get their good reputation damaged like it was the case for the team running the viking experiment.
the science community can not agree on a proper method to detect life. Sooo anyone who has the guts to risk his reputation, need to have good arguments to be onboard on a lander mission with his experiment.
unfortunatly noone is willing

so its not another cover-up, its about having the guts to develop an experiment and withstand the following debate about its accurancy.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparky8580
But I know for a fact, (fact, meaning my gut), that we are not alone.

That's the problem with many people.

Although your gut is a fact (I suppose), your "gut feelings" are as valid as anyone else's, until we have real facts and know the truth, we cannot really know.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quadrivium
I am pretty sure they are talking about micobial life. Don't get your hopes set on any kind of "intelligent" life.
But hey, microbial life is a good start
S&F, good find.
Quad
edit on 15-11-2012 by Quadrivium because: S&F

You are so wrong! It is my personal belief that the alien life on Mars are these fellas...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I would have to agree, otherwise its a giant guessing game, and would have no proof.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

they should explore the mars hole or the south polar regions

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ujosmurfy
I don't think it is an unfounded belief.

All beliefs are unfounded. That's what makes them beliefs and not facts. Of course, you can hypothesize and try to extrapolate and theorize, but until you actually find hard, independently verifiable and agreed upon evidence leading to proof of life somewhere other than Earth -- of which there is absolutely none so far -- it's just all guesswork and fantasy.

Here's the rub, though, and it's an old, old rub. If E.T. life is so likely to exist, and potentially abundant, why haven't we found it yet? The more there is out there, the easier it should be to find, right? So where is it?

Wrong tack, I said it is not an unfounded belief, full stop.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

The more there is out there, the easier it should be to find, right? So where is it?

That's like sticking a thimble in the ocean, pulling it up and finding no fish, then concluding there are no fish in the ocean.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Ahhhhhh! The Fermi Paradox:

The apparent size and age of the universe suggest that many technologically advanced extraterrestrial civilizations ought to exist. However, this hypothesis seems inconsistent with the lack of observational evidence to support it.

Or the short of it, Fermi's Question: "Where is everybody?"

There may be many answers to this question:

1) Intelligent Life is unique and is not as wide spread as we theorize (just look at our own history, all the lucky breaks we've had to make things "just right" so we could be here).

2) Intelligent Life may be quite common, but due to the vastness of space, physical travel maybe not very practical, and communications if limited to lightspeed could take a very long time to get here.

3) Intelligent Life might be common, but in our own area, we are actually more advanced than the rest, who may not have progressed to the use of radio or television signals (or they may have, but are so far away that it's going to be thousands of more years to reach us).

4) They may be all out there, but we are "off limits" (pick your favorite SciFi show as to why, like Star Trek's Prime Directive).

and this is one of my favorites:

5) They may be out there, but when you're planning a surprise invasion, you don't announce yourself.......

As was said before: just because we don't have any conclusive evidence (and no, sorry, UFOs are not conclusive, they are called "Unidentified" for a reason, we don't KNOW what those are), is not evidence that life out there doesn't exist.

I like the thimble and ocean example. Here's a couple of others:

Let's say some aliens landed in the Sahara Desert, and saw no life, and all samples show nothing. Would it be right to say: The Earth has no life. ?

Let's say you landed on Venus, and decided that since the temperature there is 900 deg F and the atmosphere so crushing that life as we know it can't exist, would it be correct to conclude: There must not be any life in the solar system. ?

I think it's out there. But I do tend to lean towards number one up there. All the things I've researched into our on evolution makes me wonder just how many other life forms out there were just as "lucky" as us to be able to evolve (and that they haven't destroyed themselves yet: nuclear war, genocide, chemical / biological warfare, or even climate change).

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
An amazing statement from Professor Joseph Miller, who's been working on NASA space projects for 30 years admits that there is a 95% probability of Life on Mars. They have found liquid water right now on Mars and this is the key for Life as we know it.
Is there an hidden war inside NASA and /or other Intel/Military Agencies to hide the truth?

The evidence is accumulating for some sort of active biology below the surface on Mars -- and other potential microbial hanitats elsewhere in the Solar System.

It's an exciting trend, and has been gathering strength for decades.

Nobody is hiding any 'truth', and if it's a surprise to you, perhaps you lurk too long in darkness.

BTW -- Where's this supposed finding of liquid water on Mars NOW?

Did you just misread some report, or did you find some story the rest of us hadn't?

I'd give the odds of the former at maybe 99 to 1, in favor.

Please clear this up.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by WoodSpirit
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

False. Dont think you know what I assume. People on this forum think NASA know about alien forests and highly evolved animals. When they hear life on mars they think OMG that really was a squirrel in that picture!!! Maybe you missed where Arken talked about NASA coming closer to "disclosure". What science considers life does not have a wider meaning than what I assume, sorry. In conclusion, life has not been found, this is evidence that dates back to 1979, not anything new, and there is no "disclosure".

Microbial life is life, noone said intelligent life, that's just what you made of it.

Furthermore the title clearly says "scientist is 95% sure there is life on Mars". All the other parts you have a problem with are assumptions you made yourself, buddy.

edit on 15-11-2012 by WoodSpirit because: (no reason given)

Reread the OP, it is not my fault you have poor reading comprehension. He believes this is one more step along the path of full disclosure Mars has advanced lifeforms. Otherwise explain what "disclosure" means, as the fact they are looking for life means they believe microbial life is possible, thus there is nothing to "disclose".

The title says NASA scientist, which is false. I made no assumptions. This is 30 year old information they are using. It was not just released, it was not hidden, it is well known.

ETA: OP said ...

Next step: Moss and Lichens

As I said, it is not my fault you lack comprehension skills, OP was not talking about microbial life.
edit on 15-11-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Thanks for posting!

"Revised (Curious Case of 64 (Mars Mystery)"
Search the mp3 within the quotation marks!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
They spend so much money trying to find life on other planets while they destroy life on our planet. Makes no sense whatsoever.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Bowie was sent from the stars to wake up the young ones.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Personally I think the world would be a much better and far more technologically advanced place if all our scientists were not so afraid of their reputations and were able to put forward their theories and experiments without fear of getting roasted.... They used to be able to do this when the world had much more enquiring minds but it seems that somewhere along the way our scientists have dropped the ball.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Religion will attempt to dissemble any suggestion of life beyond Earth's biome. For if life is found, mass book burnings will begin.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BeneathBaseStupidity

This is correct.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Infact if the bacteria can survive being in space, thats proof of aliens in itself. If bacteria can survive being in spave why wouldnt it already be there? Hmmmm?

You didn't read the link. The story here is that the drill bits "sterility" was contaminated by some worker who made a change but failed to notify the bio guys. So the "sterile" container with the drill bits is insidethe rover and only opened once it reaches the surface of Mars and they need to drill a rock. Besides, all landers are contained inside protective shielding of one form or another before they get to the surface. But you know that.

Dis-info? The dis-info is that Mars has or ever had life on it. But you go on believing that, and cough up billions ands billions as they keep going back to turn over one more rock looking for it. Haven't found any in over thirty years. Maybe tomorrow...

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

Originally posted by Arken
An amazing statement from Professor Joseph Miller, who's been working on NASA space projects for 30 years admits that there is a 95% probability of Life on Mars. They have found liquid water right now on Mars and this is the key for Life as we know it.
Is there an hidden war inside NASA and /or other Intel/Military Agencies to hide the truth?

The evidence is accumulating for some sort of active biology below the surface on Mars -- and other potential microbial hanitats elsewhere in the Solar System.

It's an exciting trend, and has been gathering strength for decades.

Nobody is hiding any 'truth', and if it's a surprise to you, perhaps you lurk too long in darkness.

BTW -- Where's this supposed finding of liquid water on Mars NOW?

Did you just misread some report, or did you find some story the rest of us hadn't?

I'd give the odds of the former at maybe 99 to 1, in favor.

Please clear this up.

Your excessive self esteem, as usual, Jimmy.

Dr. Ken Edgett, NASA Senior Research Scientist announcement at 1.18 mark in NASA 2006 conference.

Video in the Opening Post.

"Today we are talking about LIQUID WATER that is present on Mars right now..."

Who is Ken Edgett: www.msss.com...
edit on 16-11-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join