It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA scientist says he is 95% sure there is life on Mars!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Thank you for your contribution.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
With NASA's tests and by NASA's conditions, how do we know there is life on THIS planet? Hmmm?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quadrivium
I am pretty sure they are talking about micobial life. Don't get your hopes set on any kind of "intelligent" life.
But hey, microbial life is a good start
S&F, good find.
Quad
edit on 15-11-2012 by Quadrivium because: S&F

Life...is life...no matter how small.
What makes me wonder is the 5% he is unsure of.
However, 95% sure coming from NASA...that's pretty amazing if you ask me,
Ohh, the possible wonders to behold in my lifetime.
I'm honored to witness these things.
How many other generations of humans can say that they peered into the center of our own galaxy and say the dawn of time itself (the big bang).?
Cherish these moments in scientific discovery...who know how long we'll be around, or if some cataclysmic event stunts further discoveries.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'd just like to state...

Being familiar with academics: no amount of threats or bribery would keep them quiet if they found alien life.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This is fascinating indeed. I just want to say that if some of you believe microbial life isn't smart, then how do you explain a virus? A virus is microbial and it hijacks a living persons cells and tricks them into believing they are good and not bad just to survive in that host. That is intelligent if you ask me

S&F

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unconditionaltruth
This is fascinating indeed. I just want to say that if some of you believe microbial life isn't smart, then how do you explain a virus? A virus is microbial and it hijacks a living persons cells and tricks them into believing they are good and not bad just to survive in that host. That is intelligent if you ask me

S&F

Smart and sharp like a razor.
Stars.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heresy

Being familiar with academics: no amount of threats or bribery would keep them quiet if they found alien life.

Quite right. This is one of the academics I work with: Methane and hydrogen could be key to life on Mars

The privilege is mine.
edit on 15-11-2012 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Scientists tend to be a cautious bunch at the best of times.

The fact that one of the original 3 Viking experiments showed proof of life on Mars is still highly significant. If you are sending a multi billion dollar rocket to find Life on Mars and you only had room for 3 experiments, you would ensure that a) the experiments would prove conclusively of life and b) you would ensure no contamination. Electronics may have come on in leaps and bounds over 30 years but I believe sterilisation techniques are more or less the same.

I have stated here before I that I expect life on Mars, simply through cross contamination from Earth (we are finding bacteria deeper in the Ocean, higher and even in pressurised water at over 100C (thermophiles). These extremophiles were first discovered in the 1980s and 1990s and so is still a relatively new brand of biochemistry.

And yes I agree that bacterial life on Mars is hugely significant.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Yah, life is scattered all over Mars. From earth. We took it there in the form of microbes that litter the surface from all the mechanical junk we threw there.

Here's but one example. When they drill and "find" microbes the mud slinging can begin...

www.wired.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
Scientists against scientists.... hmmm: suspicious and pesky....

Suspicious? Why, would be more "natural" if it was (or is it if it were) scientists against plumbers?

In the Pdf. research published there are proofs of the tests, and protocols and data utilized in perfect line with the Biological evidence.

That data is (probably, I haven't read it) the same as the one presented 30 years ago.

"Your" scientists claim that they are inconclusive...... Why? Where are the proof of this?

Where are their scientific publications on this?

Look for it, this has been public for more than 30 years.

Also, if that PDF has real proof, why is he only 95% sure?

PS: I notice that you haven't answered my first question, where can I see evidence that "They have found liquid water right now on Mars"?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
Yah, life is scattered all over Mars. From earth. We took it there in the form of microbes that litter the surface from all the mechanical junk we threw there.

Here's but one example. When they drill and "find" microbes the mud slinging can begin...

www.wired.co.uk...

First of all, i have believed from the beginning that that is disinfo for when they do find life.

Infact if the bacteria can survive being in space, thats proof of aliens in itself. If bacteria can survive being in spave why wouldnt it already be there? Hmmmm? We already know theres bacteria in low earth orbit. What keeps it from flying off into space via near very near misses by meteors and asteroids?

Sick of the disinfo already

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Oh, you young and please claiming to be wise. You should know that there is always intelligent life else where.
But we do not even remotely consider it intelligent. Shepleople please wake up, consider that we live in a world that is built on lies. Would it be so hard to believe that we are the only creatures in creation, in the so called "13.5 Billion year old Universe?" I ask you why do you have a hard time believing, in all that time there hasn't been another "creature," "race," life form that has taken to the stars or gone extinct.

I ask you, do you believe in all the Scifi movies we watch, all the Crazy conspiracies out there, all videos, the stories, you think that its all come from our mind without help? Hidden, in plain sight, right in front of our very eyes. All the clues you need to understand, to see, if one could so far and believe, that we are not alone in this vast and changing universe.

Said best by Tommy Lee Jones in MIB:
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

The reason why our world doesn't know that there is intelligent life else where in this vast and changing universe is pretty much summed up in that quote. People are stupid, panicky, and dangerous. They don't like change. Its the same way with science, if it doesn't fit our understanding than its false and should be discarded.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The post should be, "Is there any intelligent life at NASA" ?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

One aspect that I would like to be alive to see, is how things are resolved in regards to copyrights and intellectual properties (patents). If "they" are found to be technological superior and have good documentations, I will laugh my ass off and in high probability see those that state that today's law keeps us from performing faster innovation cycles vindicated...

edit on 15-11-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntoxicatingMadness
If there is life on Mars, than that basically means there must be intelligent life out there. Come on two planets that can potentially host life, even if it's microbial should automatically mean there is intelligent life somewhere. I doubt that two celestial bodies in the entire universe are the only ones capable of life ^_^

It's fine if you want to believe that, but as with any unfounded belief based on limited or non-existent data there's no logical reason to do so. Two stray planets with life, relatively near each other, possibly contaminating each other? That doesn't automatically mean that life is anywhere else. No reason to assume anything of the sort.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heresy

Well they sure have stayed quiet about what the shiny objects were or do you think the rover is still staring at them with the camera and has done no tests?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sparky8580

People in my opinion even fail to understand how intelligent other life forms are on THIS planet from large to the very smallest we underestimate them all.

I am very sure there is life on ALL the planets in our solar system, each capable of surviving on what is available there.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

If there is life on Mars, than that basically means there must be intelligent life out there. Come on two planets that can potentially host life, even if it's microbial should automatically mean there is intelligent life somewhere. I doubt that two celestial bodies in the entire universe are the only ones capable of life ^_^

It's fine if you want to believe that, but as with any unfounded belief based on limited or non-existent data there's no logical reason to do so. Two stray planets with life, relatively near each other, possibly contaminating each other? That doesn't automatically mean that life is anywhere else. No reason to assume anything of the sort.

All you have to do is look at the capabilities of life.

Please look at what we call EXTREMOPHILES they may be NORMAL elsewhere.

But the new microbe, for now called “Strain 121,” thrives at 121 °C and can even survive for two hours at 130 °C.

www.genomenewsnetwork.org...

They can live without oxygen, eat acid, eat stone and produce acid they can live in space they can be dried out or frozen and revived after many many years or even centuries.

n one set of experiments, they used gas guns to simulate the enormous temperatures and powerful shock waves that amino acids in comets would experience on upon entering Earth's atmosphere. The gas guns, devices that weigh thousands of pounds, hit objects with high-pressure blasts of gas moving at supersonic speeds. They shot the gas at capsules filled with amino acids, water and other materials. The amino acids did not break down due to the heat and shock of the simulated crash. Indeed, they began forming the so-called "peptide bonds" that link amino acids together into proteins. The pressure from the impact of the crash apparently offset the intense heat and also supplied the energy needed to create the peptides, she explained. In other experiments, Blank's team used sophisticated computer models to simulate conditions as comets collided with Earth.

www.sciencedaily.com...

It is near impossible to find conditions where life does not grow.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

I don't think it is an unfounded belief. The sciences are coming together more and more and there is a consensus now on what constitutes the ability to support life, but more so intelligent life aka, the 'Goldilocks' zone. But the 'Goldilocks' zone is just for starters, it is only a place of ideal conditions, it also needs to be stable and long term for evolution to take place, at least as we understand it in the here and now, and as we still evolve in our persona as being 'intelligent life' As for any life forms to exist elsewhere, there can be no doubt about that, the extremophiles here on Earth are an excellent example, it is not who you are it is what you are.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
Please look at what we call EXTREMOPHILES they may be NORMAL elsewhere.

Of course. But we still only have examples of them found on Earth. Nowhere else.

It is near impossible to find conditions where life does not grow.

You mean apart from everywhere else we look in space.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join