It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twas the night before firearm deer season

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
So within 3 hours I'm going to be sitting in the woods, high powered rifle in hand, waiting for Bambi's father to make an appearance. Since I'm in northern Michigan I'll also more than likely be freezing my tail off. At least the frigid temperatures should provide enough of a system shock to keep me awake when combined with the massive quantities of coffee I am, and will be, guzzling throughout the day.

I decided to skip the usual pre-game ritual of getting sloppy drunk and sitting around the campfire sharing lies with my friends in the hopes of being bright eyed and bushy tailed enough to not follow my usual routine of falling asleep at the worst possible moment.

And I can't sleep lol.

Like a kid on Christmas Eve, I was unable to shut down the anticipation and excitement coursing through my brain. So here I sit. On ATS in the wee hours of the morning when I should be asleep.

Anybody else as totally geeked out as me for the impending barrage of gunfire that signals the halfway point of November?

Lesson learned, next year I'm going back to the time honored ritual of bonding over beers with buddies and falling asleep in a dilapidated camper with the smell of another man's stinking feet whisking me away to dreamland.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

I'm going back to the time honored ritual of bonding over beers with buddies and falling asleep in a dilapidated camper with the smell of another man's stinking feet whisking me away to dreamland.

Ahhh poetry.

I've never been deer hunting and don't know anyone who goes. I would really like to. I get tempted when I see them walking up the creek 15 yards off my porch, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to take a deer with a Glock and no permit.

I hope you have fun. Take pictures. I like pictures.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I could see you out there hunting deer with a Glock. Make sure to hold it sideways for the kill shot.

I've never been either I have a friend that goes a lot and he has some interesting stories to tell always. He brought this giant wild pig head home a few months back. That was interesting to see on his front porch.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Yeah I think the DNR frowns upon that pretty much everywhere, licenses and regulations and such.

You should give it a try sometime though, getting to shoot a deer is just a small part of the experience. It's relaxing to just sit there and watch nature going about it's business like you weren't even there. It's cool seeing bobcats and coyotes walk by completely silently just doing their thing. Watching the world wake up around you with the first rays of the morning sun.

If I should happen to luck out and get one and successfully drag it the mile and a half back to my parking spot without dropping dead from a massive coronary, I'll definitely post some pictures.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Doe a deer...I have had no luck yet,and believe me for being across the river....sometimes I give in and buy off the reserves...good luck and bag that 12 pointer that swam your way

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Break a leg brother. Been bow hunting here in NY for a month and a half now. Our rifle season starts saturday. Haven't had any fortune yet, hoping my rifle season picks up a bit.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
My brother in law shot a nice ten point this morning here in southeast Michigan. I will be going out this afternoon to have at it again. I have been hunting hard with my bow for the last month and a half but I hurniated a disk in my back the other day so I have to take it easy. Guess I will pick up the old shotgun and have at it. I really prefer my bow but I just need some meat in the freezer. Plus my big buck is still out there somewhere. I imagine I won't see him again until December. Good luck to you.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Well no luck through firearm season, going to have to continue sitting in a tree freezing my butt off. I need to find an old Native American medicine man to bless my bow. Hope you all have done better than me to this point.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

That sucks about the back, I did the same thing two years ago and still have occasional days when I want to amputate it from the waist up.

Did the ole trusty 12 gauge come through for you?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by QuestionsEverything

No luck yet. Haven't been out in a few weeks though. I hope to spend all weekend out either with my muzzleloader or my trusty bow. Now that the weather is turning cold again I should be able to drop a few no problem. I ussually see 100+ deer a night this time of year. And by now the big boys who survived the rut will be back out and about in the daylight.

top topics

join