It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For The Love Of Your Gods, Stop Throwing Their Books At Everything!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight

Originally posted by Cuervo
reply to post by EnochWasRight

I'm not entirely convinced you have read the whole OP. I did not say it is wrong to quote from you favorite holy book. I said to not throw them. To not stick your fingers in your ears and say "lalalalala" while you insist that people take your scripture as an authority over the conversation.

When discussing Christianity with a Christian, I will discuss it with Christian terms using the Christian holy book. I will not pull out the Vedas and tell you the Jahweh didn't create the world because it was obviously Brahma. I will not pull out another religion's holy book and insist that it is right and yours is wrong especially when it is not provable.

I guess an even bigger pet peeve is when the conversation is not about any religion in particular but about the nature of God/Goddess or just spirituality in general. This is when I most often see zealots assuming that everybody is talking about their god and their religion.

Like you assume here? I never quoted scripture to you in reply to this OP. Your answer here assumes too much. I quoted a Sufi and a Supreme Court Justice.

I wasn't saying you did that. I was reiterating my point. I've seen plenty of your posts and you are not one of the offenders I'm talking about. I do, however, think you aren't quite getting what I'm saying.

You are one of the posters that I see often keeping things on-topic and use scripture in context. My beef is with people who throw their scripture without offering any commentary or explanation but simply hide behind a verse as if it answered a question.

Using scripture of holy books in context (as you often do) is not only innocent but completely necessary to the discussion.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I'll go back and read it again. Sounds like I misunderstood.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Originally posted by maes2
but I think it needs that I throw my book !!!

There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in Taghut (crossing the limits) and believes in Allah (God) has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And Allah (God) is Hearing and Knowing. -Quran 2:256

That's great. For you. And for anybody talking about Islam.
However, if you and a person of another faith were debating on who's godling is the real godling (something you hould never do), verses like that are not going to change anybody's minds.
I don't think many people fully understood what I was saying. Quote whatever you want and, if it's relevant, it will be a boon to the learning process of the people involved. However, if you are using your holy books to "prove" or "disprove" the unprovable, you are not helping anything and nobody will be persuaded by your words.

Right. but I think we all have wisdom to think and analyze what has offered to us. such opinion sharings can help us to truths and it can help us to get near and know that how much we all have in common. may be it is better to spread tolerance and wisdom then even any truth from a mouth of anyone is welcomed, I am myself against sticking to books without any thinking. our wisdom is the best prophets. however we humans have many ideas in common even far more than what we think !

new topics

<< 1   >>

join