It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have Atheists Given Up Here?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Why are Atheists so obsessed with God?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I thought the same thing if you read up above, i corrected my mistake because he was actually right,
atheism is the disbelief of god, agnosticism is the claim that there is no god flat out, so what your
saying would be the reverse, atheists are the ones you would have to dislike, but again that's all
a definition argument, the actual argument is the same for both atheists and agnostics, they still have not shown us solid proof of any gods existence.

the only reason i noticed my mistake and corrected it is this: atheism is the counter to theism,
IE theists believe that there is a god, the opposite of that would be an atheist, they do not believe in
a god, but again that's not equal footing, there is a claim being made by one side, that side
has a burden of proof to back up the claim. one side believes something without evidence while
the other simple points out they don't believe because of the lack of evidence.

I find it ironic that most of the disagreements theists and atheists have are of this nature allot of the
time, they try to nitpick words in order to make it seem as though we share equal burden of proof,
the problem there again is we make no claim, we simply ask that they provide evidence to support
said claim and since they cannot we must end up being an atheist as we reject a belief system that
is not based on reason and evidence.

Itisnowagain: to rspond to your question of why do we care per say, we care because
there has been a concerted effort over the years to define laws based on religion,
allot of these laws are immoral and just plain flat out insane, we worry that without
action on our part to defend morality as actual morality and not oppression in the form
of gods command, the world will fall back into the clutches of religion, we have come
a very long way since the days of being thrown in jail simply for point out the fact
that the earth revolves around the sun not the other way around. we want our
children to have the ability to point out facts and truth and not be persecuted because
someone else says god is right with no evidence or facts to back it up.
edit on 15-11-2012 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Call me pedantic if you want...even semantically pedantic if you wanna get poetic.

But deciding to not believe in something until there is evidence is not cowardice,,,it's
intelligence.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by jiggerj

Why are Atheists so obsessed with God?

I think they just wish there could be some other way than for them to swallow there pride and humble themselves. So they'll fervently do anything to try and believe into existence there lie, and anything that remotely challenges that such as Christianity, must be brutally attacked at all cost!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Well there could be a number of things going on

1 – ATS is not what it once was and many of the real sceptics have moved on, and so have a lot of others if I am reading the site stats correctly
www.abovetopsecret.com...

2 – it might be me but it looks like many of the interesting religious posters don’t post much anymore ether and the religious types that do post are just the highly ignorable “Scripture Kiddy’s” as someone called them to day

3 – It gets boring repeating the same thing constantly – playing wackamole with the religious gets old, fast – if I have to read another clueless christian post about what an atheist is one more time I think I will throw up

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

LOL I noticed a few recent threads of religious fanatics with no Atheists arguing their point. Have we given up? Are these zealots too far gone to be saved from looking foolish?

Well, maybe they finally realized that arguing for something that they do not believe at first place, is not logical. Maybe they just became more tolerant concerning other persons beliefs. You on the other hand however, it seems you are looking for a fight. In fact i do not think that you are an atheist. It seems to me you are a simple "God-hater", that always wants to belittle other persons for their faith.

Peace

edit on 15-11-2012 by Seed76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

So why can't you do that without the God BS? I do.

When it says to do unto others, God is also one of the others.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I spend enough time trying to convince my daughter her imaginary friend isn't really i don't have time to save all these people too.

Sad part i can't decided which one is worse to argue with. You can't just erase years of brain washing in one thread, beside they just disregard any logic you add to the equation and have nothing to counter argue with, just childlike stubbornness.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadQuacker
I spend enough time trying to convince my daughter her imaginary friend isn't really i don't have time to save all these people too.

Sad part i can't decided which one is worse to argue with. You can't just erase years of brain washing in one thread, beside they just disregard any logic you add to the equation and have nothing to counter argue with, just childlike stubbornness.

If your daughter has a friend which you believe is imaginary why can't you allow her that? How can you be so sure that the friend is not real.
Maybe she needs a friend and not a dismissive one.

Why argue and force your opinion on others? Arguing is childlike too.
Compassion allows all.
edit on 15-11-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Atheists are just as pushy and annoying as any religious fanatic. Want proof? This thread is exhibit A.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by swan001

I do not see how your OP is not offensive for this christian community.

What "Christian community"? The forum is about religion, faith, and theology. It isn't the "Christians Only" forum.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight
reply to post by SpearMint

So why can't you do that without the God BS? I do.

When it says to do unto others, God is also one of the others.

But a fictional character can't prove himself real, that's meaningless. Religion has no advantage as far as values, kindness and whatever else goes. You can live a life of logic and still be as "good" as any Christian. Fairy tales don't have to come in to it.
edit on 15-11-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Def Youth
Atheists are just as pushy and annoying as any religious fanatic. Want proof? This thread is exhibit A.

That's like saying all religious people are religious fanatics.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by rival

Call me pedantic if you want...even semantically pedantic if you wanna get poetic.

But deciding to not believe in something until there is evidence is not cowardice,,,it's
intelligence.

Not Believing is neither cowardice nor intelligence. For once evidence is presented there is no need for belief anymore. It is simply either true or false. Believing in something however, is bravery in the true sense of the word. One stakes their entire existence on a fundamental belief.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

We just don't have any real atheists. The atheists here still believe in some creator, or spirituality, or pervading thread connecting all life. We don't have any hardcore atheists that believe life is an accident, and everything is explainable.

So, without any hardcore atheists, we are left with just spiritual folks, fed up with religions, identifying themselves as atheists, but believing similarly enough to everyone else.

Once you take Muhammed and Jesus out of the mix, and stop personifying God as some grey-bearded man sitting on a cloud, then the discussions get pretty mundane and boring. Most of us can agree that without those ridiculous and fanatical elements, the rest of spirituality is natural and important, and even sensical rather than non-sensical.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Only time we going to response if the posed question does make sense.

Religious fanatics are a dieing breed.

proof? go ask the entire High school/College of 2012 of their belief in god. You will find more skeptics than believers.

Looking for a better world in the future. Where people will have ONE LESS reason to hate and kill each other.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkhorserider

We just don't have any real atheists. The atheists here still believe in some creator, or spirituality, or pervading thread connecting all life. We don't have any hardcore atheists that believe life is an accident, and everything is explainable.

You're right, you'd have to search hard and long to find atheists that believe life or the origins of life here on earth was an accident. Most accept the current scientific view that life in this universe is an inevitability, due to the rich chemistry found throughout the cosmos.

An Atheist rejects the claims made by theists, nothing more nothing less.

A-theist

I personally also do believe that there is an explanation for everything, and that magic/supernatural/spiritual/psychic powers don't exist and aren't required for those explanations.

The fact that it's 2012 and people actually believe in things such as Gods and ghosts is utterly beyond me and if I'm honest, it completely fascinates me.

Xenomorphs on the other hand..........they're real

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by jiggerj

How come Jesus can't eat Skittles?

......Wait for it.....................

Because they fall through his hands.

Ja, well, i USED to laugh at that joke.

But, i grew up.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
It seems that despite the choice of atheism, people are still being merely religious. To switch one ideal (God) for another (no God), and to fight for that ideal is not being any different than any of our theistic brothers and sisters.

It's weird how we don't believe there is a such thing as a God yet we like to argue over it anyways. And we feel we must justify our convictions by making others feel stupid for believing differently. That's religion for you.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Ding ding ding. As I always say, are you trying to convince me, or convince yourself?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join