It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey New Yorkers...how is that gold working out for ya?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The only issue I have with Gold/silver investment is that this (and other) governments have made a precedence of outlawing the private ownership of gold. So imagine a scenerio where you have 30% of your investment become illegal and your only recourse is to "sell" it back to the government fot fiat money just prior to 300% inflation. SO now instead of having $30,000 in "assests protection" you have $100 in beans.
Its happened before.

Rather have three years of food and ammo
Seems thats what our government is doing

I think we all need to do a little more studying of history and less guessing at the future. I really don't want to end up like pre-nazi Germany

Just a thought

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
You are right about a few things. If an emergency of an armageddon type doom and gloom were to take place on this earth than yes I imagine gold would have little to no value to most survivors. Food, water, weapons and sanity are what would be needed in that type of scenario. I believe it would be an every man for himself and bartering with gold would most likely not help one much, initially anyhow.

However I find it odd that every town, at least in NY has at least one "sell your gold for cash" scam store willing and trying with all their might to snatch your gold for pennies of what it is actually worth. Why? I've wondered for awhile what businessman or men are actually behind it and why they are so concerned with stockpiling gold and taking it out of the hands of everyday folks. If it's such a good time to sell your gold than why are central banks hoarding it like crazy?

Now gold does have uses other uses : in dentistry they are used to make crowns, gold can be made into thread, gold is used in many electronics, gold has been used for centuries for it's suppossed medicinal purposes. See links
www.purestcolloids.com...
www.meridianinstitute.com...

Maybe not so practical if an asteroid hits and you and your family are running for your lives but still it's not useless. And maybe you just might be able to barter your gold with those who were already well prepared and know gold for it's many uses and will be willing to make a trade.

Gold was the first monetary system used on the planet. Gold sets the value for all other types of money. When all else fails and the world sets itself up to rebuild gold will be used once again.

I think i'll continue to hold onto my gold, thanks!

edit on 18-3-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Economic collapse? Hey, what is the MOST IMPORTANT THING!?!? Staying alive, right? And how do you stay alive? Breathing is #1, drinking is #2, and eating is #3...so what do you use the money for? Let us see...buying air ...not yet...buying water and food....yep...So take your economic theories and shove them firmly in file 13...that file is circular in shape...

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Nobody is a fool for investing in gold. They still have their investment do they not? Not sure what you are trying to drive at saying that they cannot use it to get food, water, or other things. I have not seen a single article or case of someone refusing to trade goods or services for gold.

I'm sure the OP means in a real SHTF event. Gold will ONLY be valuable once society stabilizes somewhat after a SHTF. In the initial chaos and survival time, it isn't going to be worth a thing to anyone. If everything had gone to crap, I know I sure wouldn't take gold in exchange for ammo, food, or herbs. Pretty and shiny (and soft) metal has no attraction for me if I'm more worried about surviving. Only when there is an organized society, does gold then regain value, and it sure won't have the purchasing power relative to what you paid for it before the SHTF....

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

There were reports of sex traded for gasoline. I'm sure silver was traded too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join