It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey New Yorkers...how is that gold working out for ya?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I've said this time and time again, buying gold is not the answer! You can't eat it or put it in your car or generator, can't drink it or use it to purify your water or feed your kids.
Pretty much in a situation X it is worthless and you won't be able to trade it for squat.

Ask Sandy victims if they would prefer gasoline/food/water or it's value in gold and see what they say.

For those of you hording gold, take some advise and trade it for things that are actually important in a crisis.

www.daveramsey.com...

thoughts?

edit on 14-11-2012 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart
I've said this time and time again, buying gold is not the answer! You can't eat it or put it in your car or generator, can't drink it or use it to purify your water or feed your kids.
Pretty much in a situation X it is worthless and you won't be able to trade it for squat.

Ask Sandy victims if they would prefer gasoline/food/water or it's value in gold and see what they say.

For those of you hording gold, take some advise and trade it for things that are actually important in a crisis.

www.daveramsey.com...

thoughts?

Well, it all depends on the crisis, but in this particular case you are right. All of the above is important. Gold is good for wealth preservation, and will be what the new world economy is backed by once the world fiat currencies collapse, so get as much as you can. Even at $1730 an ounce, it is a bargain. A good prepper will have food, water, junk silver (pre 1965 quarters, dimes, and halves) alternative power source (preferably solar) and numerous other items. The premise of your thread is ridiculous, because no one buys gold or silver to prepare for a hurriacane, they buy it to protect themselves from economic collapse.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Gold is mostly used as a means to ensure you have something that maintains value in an unstable market. Nobody is a fool for investing in gold. They still have their investment do they not? Not sure what you are trying to drive at saying that they cannot use it to get food, water, or other things. I have not seen a single article or case of someone refusing to trade goods or services for gold.

Gold stores indefinitely, and all of the things that you listed are all perishable items, so having all of your wealth invested in perishable items would not only be foolish, but it would be down right stupid. While I do recommend having a food storage sufficient to maintain you and your family for a comfortable amount of time, I also suggest investing in at least one precious or semi precious metal to barter with.
edit on 11/14/2012 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

unfortunity gold has always been valuable, and always will be due to it quality s that set it apart from other elements. I think there is a underlying value for gold that goes way back before are known history as well. I agree that survival stuff is more valuable in survival situations, but most of it is consumable, and gold just always is.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Well then enjoy your paper.

If you stockpiled gold you probably also had the sense of mind to stockpile food, gas, and water as well. I'd like to see the guy who owns only gold and nothing else. Maybe a rapper with a grill that's the only person I can think of who wouod do that.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Well gold is WAY more valuable than paper money for sure BUT..

I have been investing in things that, if I can carry them or hang on to them in a SHTF scenario, should be WAY more valuable..

Knives / Guns / Ammo / H2O Purification Systems / Compasses ETC

I started collecting all the survival gear I can get my hands on about a year ago..

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Gold isn't for a hurricane. It's for long term wealth protection.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by therealdemoboy

Gold isn't for a hurricane. It's for long term wealth protection.

If only we could predict where hurricanes are going to -oh wait...

How many of those suffering through Sandy's aftermath traded in their gold for supplies?
What if they didn't actually have the gold but just certificates?
Poor bastards...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The only ones installing fear about the need to hoard or collect Gold are the ones selling it...

Just like the only ones crying and screaming about your guns being taken away are gun dealers.

Think about it for a minute...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

funny you posted this because your computer has a very small amount of gold components in it. Without it your message is lost lol

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy

funny you posted this because your computer has a very small amount of gold components in it. Without it your message is lost lol

Thread is not about what electronics have microscopic amounts of gold. The thread is about people stashing gold for "tough times ahead" and not being able to use it to save their own lives when the actual SHTF happens.

When your survival depends on what you grow and kill, all the gold in the world will not help you.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy

Thread is not about what electronics have microscopic amounts of gold. The thread is about people stashing gold for "tough times ahead" and not being able to use it to save their own lives when the actual SHTF happens.

When your survival depends on what you grow and kill, all the gold in the world will not help you.

But you're missing the point. People aren't saving gold for 'tough times ahead' they are saving it for 'tough ECONOMIC times ahead.'

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

www.daveramsey.com...

thoughts?

Why not do both?

Have the proper preparations in place but also put any excess capital into precious metals???

Prepare yourself (and probably in this order) with:

FOOD & WATER
SHELTER
A GENERATOR
FUEL
GUNS
AMMO
SILVER
GOLD

Don't get on your high horse and say that gold and silver are no good to you in a SHTF scenario because it will be more useful for barter than paper dollars. The paper dollars can be used to wipe your arse and that's about it.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
The only ones installing fear about the need to hoard or collect Gold are the ones selling it...

Just like the only ones crying and screaming about your guns being taken away are gun dealers.

i am thinking about it and someone like you said the same damn thing to me in the late 90s when i could have bought at 268 an ounce and again in 05 when it hit 530 an ounce, i listened to them then and i'm poorer for it. keep your financial advice to yourself next time.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Hey Thunderheart, the basic survival mode you are describing here could last our entire lifetime and our kids lifetime. If however it only lasts 6 months then gold is so incredibly valuable after basic survival that you will be punished for your wealth preservation advice. Where do you put you money after already hoarding years of survival goods?
edit on 14-11-2012 by inthewinterdark because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
if you can trade the gold to have an electrician install a transfer switch in your house to hook up a genertor, your doing just fine with it

but sandy taught us a lesson

energy (fuel) rules

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Geez, move this crap to chit chat.. since when is a threads scoffing at New Yorkers in this tragedy a survival topic??

Yeah OP, they all bought gold and not food.. and THATS why they are hungry, homeless, and financially devastated. Geez, the brilliance of some here is sometimes staggering...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I think everyone is making valid points here. Beans bullets and bandaids? Yes. Gold and silver to hedge against inflation and recoup when a new economy or currency is established? Definitely, who wants to start out broke right?
The thing i don't hear anyone talking about is having other valuable commodities that would be worth their weight in gold when SHTF. I'm talking about salt honey coffee sugar tobacco alcohol hard candy etc. Having enough of these items for yourself is one thing but i suggest having more than enough of them because these items have the ability to be traded out or in some cases leveraged against people with addictions and weak constitutions.

With these items in posession you not only gain an upper hand by being able to hold on to those precious metals but you also become a valued trade point for a lot of people and probably an appreciated and well protected member of a community. Being able to do favors for people and having then indebted to you will never go out of style.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

Originally posted by abeverage

i am thinking about it and someone like you said the same damn thing to me in the late 90s when i could have bought at 268 an ounce and again in 05 when it hit 530 an ounce, i listened to them then and i'm poorer for it. keep your financial advice to yourself next time.

Ok, yes but that is not investment advice only hoarding advice. I did something similar when gold was around $500 oh well...buy low sell high!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I would assume more silver was traded than gold. but good point nonetheless.

"Gold Silver and Brass... all three can save your @$$"
edit on 16-11-2012 by therealdemoboy because: added my little ditty

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join