It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something MAJOR is happening: Vast amounts of methane leaking from Australia's biggest coal seam

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24
reply to post by loam

"vast amounts of methane gas... leaking undetected"...

...says the news article.

*facepalm*

haha, i noticed that too. I think they mean something like, "previously undetected" or "unmonitored."

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Very interesting - Condamine suffered the most direct and massive devastation last year with the floods. Could there be a co-relation here in that the water table has now fractured the methane pockets.

S&F bumped for exposure ( I work in the oil & gas sector in West Aus)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpalk
Has anyone heard of the clathrate gun hypothesis?

But that has to do with methane hydrates, also called methane clathrates, on the continental slopes. This is methane coming out of a coal seam it seems.

Methane hydrates are methane molecules trapped in a kind of ice slurry that forms on the continental slopes at a certain pressure and temperature. They are pretty unstable and if you disturb them the methane will bubble off. There are more methane hydrates than all fossil fuels on Earth it has been said.

The clathrate gun hypothesis if i recall correctly says that if a sizable portion of the hydrates got destabilized and went into the atmosphere the greenhouse effect could heat the seas up enough to cause more hydrates to destabilize and increase the greenhouse effect in a chain reaction where eventually all the methane that was down there is now in the atmosphere.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 14-11-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
sooo..

why is this a major ordeal?

are people dying? Will they?

How many ppm is damaging?

7?

b

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rollsthepaul

Can't they capture the gas and use it, Methane can be used as a fuel, burn it.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I'm actually starting to consider that this may be on par with the Paleocene/Eocene Thermal Maximum. Either way, yeah, our children are in for some very deep water.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
From a Scripture point of view. We are looking at a pole shift at about 18 months after the start of the Great Tribulation. Before it starts, animals effected from a change of EMF effects kill people fly into buildings, try to destroy ships at sea and etc. It is noted Rev. 6:8. Such would cause all the earths volcanos to go off. The crust would rise or sink. With dust blows and high winds. That would include Yellowstone and La Palma. The dust would cause sky darkness and a drop in temp. With lightning and static electric charges in the air. A massive wall a water from La Palma would hit the U.S. east coast. Not just 100 feet but on top of aggravated seas. The interesting part of all this is the noted falling of a star called wormwood. As no death is noted on impact but by toxic water. That sounds like the swiss elps. **That it could also be the cause of a space body**. That the earth would release massive amount of gases that could be set to flame in some areas by lightning strikes. All this is years off not Dec. 21, 2012. years later like 8-9 years as a war must happen and the Jesus temple will be built. .

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
This is distressing to me as I received impressions of methane related disaster this year.

So it is true!!

Methane/Undersea Volcanoes/Water Injection and Megaquakes? Very Huge/Deep 7.7M Earthquake in Sea of Okhotsk (Between Russia and Japan). LA Times says USGS deleted a 5.1 quake from the CA list today.
Posted on August 13, 2012

Even NASA Preaches the Long-Term Evils of CO2 Overload, While Everyone in Authority IGNORES THE DANGER OF Potentially INTENTIONAL METHANE OUTGASSING by irresponsible oil companies!
Posted on April 7, 2012

Methane Displacing Oil in Many Ways! Would Isaac Newton Have Approved of Stone Age BP Carbon Sequestration Techniques? Repeat after me: “For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction”.
Posted on March 27, 2012

Chasing the Dragon: Bill Nye the Unqualified: Man Who Failed to Explain or Assist BP Gulf Cleanup Tackles Concept of GOD — Stephen Hawking can keep a place in Hell nice and toasty for him, lol. He Hates God too.
Posted on August 28, 2012

Red, White and WHO? I can’t believe Dick Cheney even dares to open his mouth!!! Check out Nuclearnuttery’s BAE article (3rd from top) and scratch your heads with me!! ALSO: Revisiting the Chardon School Shooting, same day as BP Macondo Trial started…
Posted on July 29, 2012

BP [Macondo!] Trial Start Date Coincident with Chardon Ohio High School Shooting. DID YOU KNOW that COLUMBINE SHOOTING WAS SAME DATE AS MACONDO EXPLOSION? April 20th, Hitler’s Birthday! Also, Columbine Shooter Harris was on medications proven to lower impulse control. Remember Xanax Chimp?
Do doctors get a drug company kickback for “off label” psychiatric prescriptions? THIS SHOULD BE BANNED!
Posted on February 28, 2012

BP in Court over Macondo Tomorrow [Monday] – CNN. Question: Did BP Foul Up Nabucco Project? Also: Looking at AGENT ORANGE, because Corexit is similar — its purpose is removing the “fingerprints” of an oil spill to protect the responsible company from EPA prosecution.
Posted on February 26, 2012

(HEY CNN RETARDS — PLEASE READ THIS — YOU NEED HELP) From the Gulf of Mexico to the Shores of Norway, Millions of Fish and Other Animals Fleeing into the Shallows to Escape the Worsening Anoxic Event Generated by the BP Corexit-Oil Cocktail. Have We Been Foisted With the “Ocean Enrichment Extinction Scenario”, by which the Ice Caps May Diminish and the Ocean Life Will Perish? Did BP Rupture a MUD VOLCANO whose outgassing destabilized the NEW MADRID ZONE? You Billionaires Really Need a NEW CHAOS THEORIST BECAUSE YOUR # IS SCALING OUT OF CONTROL.
Posted on January 15, 2012

How Much Quake Does It Take to Trigger a Lateral Blast from an Elevated Active Volcano? Was Nisqually 2001 a MegaQuake Precursor? Also — Looking at the “Clathrate Gun Hypothesis” (for #s and giggles). How Do Developed Nations Plan to Fight Eco-Terror and Corporate Resistance to Fuel Alternatives?
Posted on January 6, 2012

ETC.!!!!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by KhufuKeplerTriangle
Stephen Hawking can keep a place in Hell nice and toasty for him, lol. He Hates God too.!

Sorry to pick this one out but Stephen Hawking has said “The whole history of science has been the gradual realization that events do not happen in an arbitrary manner, but that they reflect a certain underlying order, which may or may not be divinely inspired.”

It seems he takes a more cautious and objective approach on the possibility of a creator than most people

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
clearly this is just the methane from the poop of the beings living in the center of the earth, in Agartha.

Do i get a.'. gold star?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lagrimas
Do i get a gold star?

No
edit on 15-11-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I'm a bit confused by what the excitement is actually over here. I read the whole article twice to make sure I didn't miss anything...and this seems to sum it up as well as anything from it?

"These results provide strong evidence for significant, but still unquantified, greenhouse gas emissions in the Tara region," the submission says. "Our results demonstrate the need for baseline studies before the development of gas fields. We suspect that depressurisation (fracking, groundwater pumping) of the coal seams during gas extraction changes the soil structure (i.e., cracks, fissures) that enhance the release of greenhouse gases such as methane and carbon dioxide."

The findings were welcomed by opponents of large-scale coal seam gas drilling, including the Lock The Gate group which wants a moratorium on drilling until comprehensive tests are done.
(op link)

Oh, and ppm to be dangerous is:

Source

They're saying 6.89 here with 2. being the norm outside? Well... I'd be more interested if the argument wasn't about the need to figure out what was normal to begin with....especially while implying this isn't actually normal?

I mean, the article goes on to pretty well say the drilling is about to expand and a critical issue is about to be decided when this is just suddenly brought to the forefront? I'm kinda wondering why there isn't a history of readings already or is this an area just being explored for the first time in major drilling?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
The company I work for is one of the front runners in well technology for these gas fields.

There's a lot of engineers and managers watching these news reports with very worried looks on their faces.

Here's an article that did the email rounds today:

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Maybe # like this always happens and we only notice it because we're just searching for them now?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Australia current gets an enourmous amount of electricity from coal, about 40% of our electricity is black coal and 25% is brown coal. Of course, in Victoria the figure is about 80% brown coal. Brown coal power stations are rather inefficient which is why some of the most inefficient power stations are in Australia. At least, the coal is relatively free of impurities (heavy metals, sulphur), it's dirt cheap (fuel and maintenance of Loy Yang B is something like 2.5 c/kwh), and is located fairly close to population centres.

Of course, we have a carbon tax coming up so I highly doubt much new coal will be built. About 15% of our electricity generation is natural gas. Scaleable renewables (knowing hydro cannot scale in Australia) are intermittent and unreliable so they are not a complete solution, unless demand management, large scale storage, or an overbuild of generation resources (i.e. build enough so that "the wind is always blowing somewhere"). Hence, they usually need some form of "backup" to firm them. Natural Gas does this well, so in reality more renewables and a coal phaseout will likely increase natural gas usage or at the very, very, least, require natural gas as a "bridge fuel" until renewables get good enough to stand on their own (if they ever can).

The best we can hope for is an approximate stagnation of electricity demand, which would require that per capita electricity consumption would decrease, but population is rising...

Obviously these findings need more research, but at the moment I think natural gas in the absence of the obvious alternative, a necessary evil.

But, a little thought exercise - if we can't use fracking to get the natural gas (or at least, scale it up significantly), we cannot use coal since carbon tax, renewables are not complete solution, and we cannot reduce demand. What does that leave? What do we do? I honestly think the answer is obvious.

edit on 15/11/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Markafeller
From a Scripture point of view. We are looking at a pole shift at about 18 months after the start of the Great Tribulation. Before it starts, animals effected from a change of EMF effects kill people fly into buildings, try to destroy ships at sea and etc. It is noted Rev. 6:8. Such would cause all the earths volcanos to go off. The crust would rise or sink. With dust blows and high winds. That would include Yellowstone and La Palma. The dust would cause sky darkness and a drop in temp. With lightning and static electric charges in the air. A massive wall a water from La Palma would hit the U.S. east coast. Not just 100 feet but on top of aggravated seas. The interesting part of all this is the noted falling of a star called wormwood. As no death is noted on impact but by toxic water. That sounds like the swiss elps. **That it could also be the cause of a space body**. That the earth would release massive amount of gases that could be set to flame in some areas by lightning strikes. All this is years off not Dec. 21, 2012. years later like 8-9 years as a war must happen and the Jesus temple will be built. .

Ummm? Can you please point out 'in Scripture' where you found this detailed discription?
Then you could move this sub-thread to the 'Fantasy & Science Fiction' or the 'Conspiracies in Religions' forums.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lagrimas
clearly this is just the methane from the poop of the beings living in the center of the earth, in Agartha.

Do i get a.'. gold star?

Yah! I starred ya!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by rollsthepaul

Some gas leakage from mining operation = MAYAN 2012 OMG!#$#!@

Happens all the time.
edit on 15-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Why blame it on the Chinese??? It is pure GREED by the frackers and nothing else. Like they give a hoot about the Chinese.....pfffft!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Am I the only one that feels like something big is happening to our planet that has yet to be fully identified?

Nope. My spidey senses are tingling - but I am oddly at peace about it all.

S&F of course.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join