It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You want to see your ego? You're all idiots, pathetic, useless, scumbags, waste of humans

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

So the big revelation here is, be aware of your reaction to things people are saying and you're on the road to
wisdom.

hmmm...

Not the most interesting thread in the world.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus

You want to see your ego? You're all idiots, pathetic, useless, scumbags, waste of humans,

You're an [SNIP]. Be aware of the minds reaction.

You're an Idiot. Be aware of the minds reaction.

You're pathetic, useless, scumbags, waste of humans. Be aware of the minds reaction.

All those reactions are of the Ego.

What does this say about my ego if the things you said there made me laugh!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

You want to see your ego? You're all idiots, pathetic, useless, scumbags, waste of humans,

You're pathetic, useless, scumbags, waste of humans. Be aware of the minds reaction.

To think people are falling over in agreement with this. I honestly don't think that it's wrong for a person to have their feelings hurt by such language, it is a natural reaction and it happens to be there for a reason, with wisdom comes sorrow.
For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief. Ecc.1:18

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wonders

To think people are falling over in agreement with this. I honestly don't think that it's wrong for a person to have their feelings hurt by such language, it is a natural reaction and it happens to be there for a reason, with wisdom comes sorrow.
For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief. Ecc.1:18

Why are you replying to me?

I said it made me LAUGH... and you're talking about hurt feelings and sorrow.... lol

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wonders

Why are you replying to me?

I said it made me LAUGH... and you're talking about hurt feelings and sorrow.... lol

Oh I'm not trying to preach you to, just convey my beliefs to any reading this in the context of when children get verbally abused I don't see how they'd get to validate their emotions if they are told that their emotions don't matter.
It takes a person who doesn't really believe that their "victim" will be badly hurt emotionally to tell them such things as the OP would like us to absorb and reflect.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

An eye see's everything but itself. Anything that an Eye see's, is not the eye.

Unless you look in a mirror.

Good post though. Made some good points.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT

An eye see's everything but itself. Anything that an Eye see's, is not the eye.

So too, Awareness can be, and should be aware of everything, including itself. Anything that Awareness is aware of, is not Awareness.

This is the beginning of wisdom, of ego death, of Enlightenment.

That's deep...like a kiddie pool. Been reading some Eggtart Tolle, eh? So, tell me: What is the sound of one hand clapping?

edit on 14-11-2012 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

It depends on what it is clapping in and on
but in anycase it is a clapping sound

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

You are going WAAAAAAAY off the deep end and projecting ideas into this thread that NO ONE and I mean NO ONE even REMOTLEY said or even eluded to.

"feelings don't matter" REALLY???
Is that what you took away from this?
Is that what you honestly believe the OP is trying to promote?

I would sit here and try to break it down for you but something tells me you are going to take my words and twist them into something even MORE rediculous than you did with the OP.

This mindset that the OP is referring to, detatching yourself from your EGO isn't for everyone.
ALOT of people believe they are one and the same. You = your ego.
You= your emotions.

If this is your thinking then this thread most definately is not for you and any attempt whatsoever to explain it will only fall on deaf ears.

If you believe in "Right" and "Wrong"
If you beleive in "GooD' and "EEEEEVIL" or "BAD"
Then you are not going to be able to make heads nor tails of this way of thinking.

If YOU get offended when someone calls you a fat ass then you are not going to get much out of a thread about ego.

If you are able to understand that YOU are not a fat ass but the bio suit that you are wearing IS then you may get something out of this thread.

If you are able to separate YOU from your bio suit,
If you are able to separate YOU from your Emotions
If you are able to separate YOU from your Name, clothes, car, family, friends, job title, bank account, awards won, time served, and every other title,designation,label, and box that this world uses to define the REAL you then you obviously understand what we are talking about here so feel free to jump on in.

I honestly don't think that it's wrong for a person to have their feelings hurt by such language,

Who in the WORLD said anything about it being "wrong" to have your feeling hurt?
You are in good company.
There have been several people in this thread who have totally made up words that were never spoken.
The great thing about communication online is that there is a record of the entire conversation which can prove such.

it is a natural reaction

Yes, as is screaming and running when you see a bear in the woods, which will.............GET YOU KILLED!!!

There is a reason we don't cry, and slap, and hit, someone who throws sand at us in the sandbox anymore.
Hopefully (most of us) have learned to control their "natural reactions" by now.

Prisons are full of people who couldn't control their "natural reaction"
This world is the way it is because of "natural reactions"
Fear is a "natural reaction" and it has been used to control humanity for long enough now.
It is time we conqured our "natural reactions" and make them serve us rather than US serving THEM.

If none of this makes any sense to you and you feel inclined to chalk it up as some "New Age hocus Pocus" then you are going to have to take it up with Socrates,Plato,Jung, and a host of other "New Age Hippies".
Don't take it up with me, I didn't invent nor create nor discover this new age mumbo jumbo.

If you don't "get it" you weren't meant to just yet.
edit on 16-11-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by dominicus

So the big revelation here is, be aware of your reaction to things people are saying and you're on the road to
wisdom.

hmmm...

Not the most interesting thread in the world.

Oh but it is... one of the better threads on ATS I think... but you know what they say about casting pearls before swine.
...and you almost had it right. It's not about being aware of your reactions but realizing that the only thing you have complete control over is how you react.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Would like to add the thought that Ego does not need elimination just understanding and love. It is part of everything which is nothing and as such trying to rid oneself of it is a futile as trying to not be. What is enough is the understanding that you have a choice to observe, react or act , nothing is that serious unless you decide it is, and what people call ego is just the sense of self that points out events and their probable outcomes in relation to your total experience. Ego likes to believe it is correct all the time because that is it's purpose and only job. To calculate probability and predict future events based on previous events. When we blindly follow ego's impulses we are forgetting that Ego can only grow wiser as we over ride it and give it more data to take into account. Those who never question the ego do not grow because ego makes sure the same event repeats itself to validate it's beliefs/theories.

Ego then becomes a self fulfilling prophesy loop rather than your wise counsel.

just thoughts love, light and balance all

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmD1

Ohhhh damn! I am going to have to read that about ten more times.
Copied and saved to my hard drive.
That was some good shiz right there.

I am going to chew on that for a while.

It makes all kinds of sense.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I do not appreciate you insulting me and calling me a waste as you don't know who I am. It's amazing how one sees the splinter in another person's eye, yet completely ignores the log stuck in their skull. There are two eyes! The mental internal eye which prevents you from being yourself, and the eye that seeks world government and that wolves follow. Knowledge is power. This is why there's an ongoing effort to distract us from using our minds. The mind is pretty much limitless. The ego should not be killed. It should instead be used in constructive ways. Too much ego is the problem, not the ego itself. Without the ego, you'll want nothing. With nothing, your basic needs aren't met, and you'll die of thirst. Do you want to die of thirst? Think about it. What we need are people who ambitiously floods the world with peace and love at all cost. Then, even when you are alone, you'll be in a state of pure euphoria and ecstasy. We'll all be united and true knowledge and energetic peace, connectedness, and togetherness will reign. We'll make it through the obstacles together and realize that memories are relative and reality is not only universal, but multiversal. The ego cannot see itself, for if it does, it'll fade or disappear.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

Unless you look in a mirror.

The reflection is not the same as the actual. So a mirror doesn't cut it either. We didn't send Armstrong to the reflection of the moon seen in the ocean.

There is definitely a deeper aspect to all of this, one that is rarely investigated by most, as one can see by the replies. What is it that is aware of the ego, if one is not the ego?

The assumptions and projections in the replies are all great and show true colors

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The ego is not just the petty reactions of the mind. The Ego is everything you see, touch and hear. The ego is the translator of all forms, sounds, feelings and concepts. And ultimately, the Ego is the one that experiences the entire spectrum of life.The only way to get rid of your ego, is to die.

Down the path of so called 'enlightenment' one might be lucky enough to realize the impossibility of silencing the mind, thoughts and of getting rid of the Ego. Part of enlightenment is to realize this, not by being told, or by reading it in forums, books or beliefs, but through introspection.

edit on 17-11-2012 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2012 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Visitor2012
The ego is not just the petty reactions of the mind. The Ego is everything you see, touch and hear. The ego is the translator of all forms, sounds, feelings and concepts. And ultimately, the Ego is the one that experiences the entire spectrum of life.The only way to get rid of your ego, is to die.

This is entirely wrong. The "Ego" is an artifact of a disturbed mind. When one realizes that, the Ego starts fading away. And funny you mentioned "forms". It always brings to mind the Heart Sutra:

Avalokita, The Holy Lord and Bodhisattva, was moving in the deep course of the Wisdom which has gone beyond. He looked down from on high, He beheld but five heaps, and he saw that in their own-being they were empty.

Here, Sariputra, form is emptiness and the very emptiness is form; emptiness does not differ from form, form does not differ from emptiness; whatever is form, that is emptiness, whatever is emptiness, that is form, the same is true of feelings, perceptions, impulses and consciousness.

Here, Sariputra, all dharmas are marked with emptiness; they are not produced or stopped, not defiled or immaculate, not deficient or complete.

Therefore, Sariputra, in emptiness there is no form, nor feeling, nor perception, nor impulse, nor consciousness; No eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, mind; No forms, sounds, smells, tastes, touchables or objects of mind; No sight-organ element, and so forth, until we come to: No mind-consciousness element; There is no ignorance, no extinction of ignorance, and so forth, until we come to: there is no decay and death, no extinction of decay and death. There is no suffering, no origination, no stopping, no path. There is no cognition, no attainment and non-attainment.

Therefore, Sariputra, it is because of his non-attainment that a Bodhisattva, through having relied on the Perfection of Wisdom, dwells without thought-coverings. In the absence of thought-coverings he has not been made to tremble, he has overcome what can upset, and in the end he attains to Nirvana.

edit on 17-11-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

"This is entirely wrong. The "Ego" is an artifact of a disturbed mind. When one realizes that, the Ego starts fading away."

Am I to understand that you are one of the people who has "realized" this? If so, has your ego faded away? Nope, still there. in fact, Has any human being ever succeeded in enlightening himself by resolving pointless concepts within his mind? No. Instead, millions of people fool themselves into a false sense of enlightenment by misinterpreting words of wisdom that was meant to be Koan's instead of statements of truth.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Am I to understand that you are one of the people who has "realized" this? If so, has your ego faded away? Nope, still there.

It's an illusion that you chose to espouse.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Care to explain your reasoning in that statement?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Am I to understand that you are one of the people who has "realized" this? If so, has your ego faded away? Nope, still there.

It's an illusion that you chose to espouse.

Can you expand on your response?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
EGO WARS!!!

Gotta love it.

I'm right DAMNIT!!!!
YOU'RE WRONG!!!!

GOD, WHY CAN'T YOU ADMIT HOW WRONG YOU ARE?!?!?!

Don't you see how RIGHT I am?!?!?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join