It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You want to see your ego? You're all idiots, pathetic, useless, scumbags, waste of humans

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
You're an [SNIP]. Be aware of the minds reaction.

You're an Idiot. Be aware of the minds reaction.

You're pathetic, useless, scumbags, waste of humans. Be aware of the minds reaction.

All those reactions are of the Ego. It is the Ego at play. Usually you are not aware of the Ego and are wrapped up in the self defense mechanisms and reactions to things. Being Aware of the Ego's reactions is one of the first steps to Wisdom.

On the Flip side we can take all the Positives too. You're hot, intelligent, the greatest ATS poster there is, a beacon of mankind, the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now be Aware of all of the Ego's reactions.

An eye see's everything but itself. Anything that an Eye see's, is not the eye.

So too, Awareness can be, and should be aware of everything, including itself. Anything that Awareness is aware of, is not Awareness.

This is the beginning of wisdom, of ego death, of Enlightenment.

Do a self inventory on yourself, and notice how you've gone most of your life wrapped up in the Ego, instead of Aware of it and having mastery over it.
edit on 15-11-2012 by Gemwolf because: Removed censor circumvention

When I saw the title of this thread the first thought that came to my mind was: Verbal abuse.
Somehow I don't think this is the sort of material one would explain to a child, am I wrong?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
My only reaction was apathy. Was that my ego, too?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
You're an [SNIP]. Be aware of the minds reaction.

You're an Idiot. Be aware of the minds reaction.

Have known that for some time now

No reaction upstairs

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
nice thread! your ego is the 'devil'!
lose your ego and you get to meet god!
your thread is flawed though,because you used your ego to write it! your judging people!
i'm not christian/jewish, but bare with me please.
the book of revelations in the new testament says 144000 will make it to heaven.(12000 from each tribe of isreal)
out of 7 billion people on this earth,this number seems small.
but every day of my life,and meeting and interacting with many other humans,this number seems more and more likely! most humans are autobots,and have no real meaning in the grand scale of things.
god forbid (don't mind the pun!) that a human has an important input into the human condition! those folks are far and few between!
you sound like a frustrated teacher that can't find any students that are worthy.
well,the old saying goes 'the teacher finds the student'.
i've been a teacher for 30 years. i have 1 pupil a year. its a thankless job.
but finding someone who is willing to lose their ego is payment enough.
144000!
there are many teachers whom you can study (budda,the christ,krishna...etc.)
may your path be smooth,and without turmoil!
peace

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I had no reaction inside, so I was a bit lost on what you were trying to access.

But I had to play with it a bit- imagine someone I cared about saying these things to me, imagine someone I admired sayign that to me; or someone I refered to as an authority/leader, or someone who was part of a group I wished to be part of , like a wrok team or something... Then I could imagine that there would be the familiar positive or negative chemical reactions in me.

That is what you call the ego? The survival instincts? The built in guiding system for increasing our chances of survival through social ties and groupings?

I always find it interesting to see the different ways people determine their ego!

Some say it is the part of us that strives for survival of the body, some claim it is the part of us that strives for survival of the mind. No matter what, it shows which part they consider is their "bad" part and which part they value as the "good" one.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Fantastic!!! I love it. Thanks

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The Samurai Warrior and the Zen Master

I'm going to tell you a story about a Samurai warrior and a Zen Master.
The warrior was big and strong and had won many battles. The Zen
Master was a rather small old man with merry eyes, and was well-known
far and wide as being one of the wisest and kindest men in the land.
One day, the Samurai warrior went to the Zen master for instruction.
“Please,” the huge man asked, “teach me about heaven and hell.”
The master scowled at the swordsman, then broke into mocking laughter.
“Me, teach you about heaven and hell? I wouldn't waste a moment trying
to instruct the brain of an overweight ignoramous like you! How dare you
ask me for such a lofty insight?”
Well, upon hearing these words, the Samurai grew furious. No one could
insult him like this and get away with it. Enraged, his face flushed and he
drew his sword to chop off the teacher's head. Just as he was about to
strike, the master raised his hand and calmly said “That, sir, is hell.”
Upon hearing this, the samurai suddenly realized the profound lesson the
master had just taught him – that we make our own hell by indulging in
anger and resentment. The warrior was so grateful for this teaching that
he dropped his sword and fell to his knees in front of the Master, bowing
in humility and gratitude. When he looked up, the old man was smiling.
“And that, sir,” the teacher noted, “is Heaven.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

whatever you consider to be your 'self' whether its the good self or bad self ultimately is not really who you are. Your body, your mind, your personality, your life story- these things are fine and good but not really who you are. So when you believe that you are the temporary person, thats an erroneous belief and actually covers up the deepest essence which is your real self which never changes or dies. the body is constantly changing, the mind is constantly changing, your personality, your life situation is always changing so what is it in you that has always remained the same? thats your real self as opposed to the false self which is just your minds erroneous identification with things that arent really you. So when someone insults your body or mind or personality or your car or whatever the mind has lumped together and said this is me this is who i am the mind gets disturbed it gets angry, upset, sad whatever. And then theres the other side of the coin when someone compliments your mind-made identity and you feel good you feel puffed up. But this is all false because that which was insulted or complimented isnt really you. the person might as well be insulting or complimenting a chair... whats it to you? your not the chair. so the whole self-identity is a silly misunderstanding and when its gone theres nothing but peace and love and understanding.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

How refreshing to see some true wisdom on ats, however, it would have helped if you specify how this translates through to real life and clouds the judgement of so many of ats's so called 'intellectuals', thats something i would like to make a thread about, but being non-attached to the ego, if someone else did it i wouldnt care, only that the information is out there.

Om Shanti friend! =D

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by simplyLOVE

How refreshing to see some true wisdom on ats, however, it would have helped if you specify how this translates through to real life and clouds the judgement of so many of ats's so called 'intellectuals', thats something i would like to make a thread about, but being non-attached to the ego, if someone else did it i wouldnt care, only that the information is out there.

Om Shanti friend! =D

Isn't your comment ego based............LOL! If you really believed in the concept of an ego based ideology of mankind, you wouldn't have commented at all.

This must have made the ego in you spring alive! FAKER!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

'If one feels that certain inherent aspects of humanity are distasteful, unsightly and macabre, one need only adopt a philosophy where he/she is one of the special individuals that is able to "rise above" the other human riff-raff.'

There is the philosophy of overcoming ego and then theres the actual egoless state. The true spiritual teachers taught from the egoless state and the teachings came from that. Of course throughout history there have always been those who are still very much trapped in there mind made self which is what the ego is and then they try to come up with some kind of philosophy which may have a lot of truth in it but it can never be truly pure because of the state out of which it came If you consider your self to be one of the special individuals then that is just another mental identification which is what the ego is so you trade one identification for another- "i used to be a sinner now im a saint" ...both are false. The true philosophy is very simple: all mental identifications are false(not true). At some point a person comes to recognize this- that all my identifications my entire identity is not who i really am. And so the work of looking for, recognizing and then dropping each and every identification begins. and when everything that can be dropped is dropped that which remains is simply a formless being. That was there before any kind of form existed and will remain after all forms have dissolved. Now if you look really carefully at the distasteful, unsightly and maccabre aspects of humanity and trace these back to their root in the human mind youll find that they come from the fact that so many humans are walking around with this mind made self that ultimately is false and in order to survive has to create some pretty insane structures in society in order to thrive. It gets angry when questioned and so you get the man who takes another human-beings life because they disagree with the particular definitions that ego has come up with and identified with. Dont agree with my opinions and beliefs? Well since my opinions and beliefs are a part of my sense of self youve just threatened my life. If you ever get just a glimpse of the egoless state you realize that everything that is negative in you is completely gone and theres nothing left but peace. But your definitely right to say that a lot of egos are walking around saying "im more spiritual than you. Ive overcome my ego and you havent. im just on a higher level than you" But that doesnt mean that there isnt a genuine truth to all this new age mumbo jumbo.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
#SNIP#

Why should they, simply because you are showing your ego?

edit on 15-11-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/15/2012 by yeahright because: Staff edit to remove quote of deleted post.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by emeris

Well I disagree. You can say I am not my little toe, but I will say my little toe is a part of me!
Same goes with physical form, personality, etc.. These are extensions of I.

I do not have the reactions of positive and negative to criticism or compliment because they say anything about who I am,

I have those reactions because they are reactions to feedback on my current status vis-a-vis a protective herd, partner, leader, or supporter, who I see as a possible re-enforcement for my chance of survival.

These instincts have a purpose and serve me well, at least to this extention of I, which is part of this reality.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I'm not bothered much by name calling, It's been my experience that the person saying it might as well be talking to a mirror.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

I got another label to add to your signature: egotistical. :0

But anyway. Only way to kill the ego is to die. I mean .... really ..... die.

As in, get hit by a speeding train and billions and trillions of your cells breaking apart.

A person who thinks they can overcome the ego is scary.

It's like the people who think they can do no wrong.

Nobody overcomes the ego. Whatever it's, we're all tainted by it.
edit on 15-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by violet
Of course an eye can't look at its own self, but it could look into a mirror. It could also have impaired vision and. It might not be seeing things clearly.

I found you're post to be very egotistical

How anyone could possibly come to that conclusion is beyond me. Sounds like your sense of self is feeling threatened by the fact that someone else knows something that you don't, making you feel pretty stupid.

It's ok, it happens to the best of us.
There are going to be others in life who will know more than you,be more than you, be better looking than you, be better at something you have practiced so hard all your life at, be smarter than you, and be more successful than you. What really sucks is when they KNOW it too.

Remember, it isn't bragging if it's true.
Actually, tht isn't necessarily true either.
It isn't bragging as long as your ego isn't being fed in the process of revealing your triumphs.
If it is just a matter of fact then who am I to say whether or not it is egotistical?
Who are you?

Occasionally you will come into contact with one of these people.
If being in their presence makes you feel threatened then you are going to have a rough way to go.
My hunch is that there are ALOT of them out there in your life.

Only a person with an overflated ego could convince themselves they have found true wisdom.

Who said anything about finding true wisdom?
The only thing I read was someone who has learned the first step to wisdom.
Following your line of thinking, looking up your vacation destination on mapquest and pulling out of the driveway, is the same as arriving there. Your family must be so confused.

Wisdom is something you figure out on your own, usually after you've lived a few years.

I take it you know the OP personally since I never saw ANY indication as to how old the op is.
He could very well be 100 years old as far as I can tell.
Again, you come across VERY defensive and full of irrational projections which seem to be based on your own insecurities rather than facts.

This isn't some hidden secret you've stumbled upon and has absolutely nothing to do with ego.

ugggh, this is getting tiring.

AGAIN, who said anything about 'hidden secrets'?
This again is something you have pulled out of thin air as a way to discredit the OP which has absolutely NO basis in fact or reality. No one said ANYTHING about "hidden secrets" but you inject it into the discourse so you can belittle the op because of the way he/she has made you feel (ego) because of their thread.

Thanks for the advice but I will pass on using it, or any other ideas from that philosophy.

It wasn't meant for you anyway, this isn't something you are going to be ready for, for quite some time if I had to venture a guess.
edit on 15-11-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Truely amazing how many people have TOTALLY missed the point of the thread but then, maybe THAT was the point of the thread,

I see a few people who's EGOS RULE them and they are out of control. This thread has brough them out and exposed them for the rest of us to see.

It really is quite funny.
A thread about EGO has brought out some of the WORST of the WORST.
Look at the behavior of some of these people and how threatened they feel by this thread.

Point proven.
THis thread has become even more interesting than I expected.

Carry on everyone.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join