It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You want to see your ego? You're all idiots, pathetic, useless, scumbags, waste of humans

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Bravo to you good sir.
I have been preaching this message for years now.
If you or anyone else interested in the ego have not already done so I recommend reading "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle.

It will crack your mind wide open and should give you a nudge in the right direction to finding out just who in the hell you are and even better....who in the hell you are NOT! if you haven't already discovered this.
Right now you may be thinking ...."who the hell does he think HE is, Like he knows everything and I don't even know myself, like he is some sort of spiritual guru and we are just simpletons"

This is your ego defending itself from a percieved attack against itself NOT YOU!!!
See, it is a very tricky little bastard which needs to die if humanity is ever to live in peace.

You are not the emotions that bubble up when someone calls you an A-HOLE! You are the observer OF those feelings and you are also the one who chooses to take those feelings generated by the ego and make them your own.

If I called you a lesbian would you get defensive?
Probably not unless you are a lesbian or think you might be one.
Why?
Because that is not a word nor idea that you have attached yourself to, through your ego.
i.e. It isn't true. You aren't a lesbian so why get defensive?
Upon hearning that word, your ego has no reaction either way.

Well, what happens when you refuse to attach your ego to ANY word, description,definition,label, or anything that that could be used to manipulate your feelings?

Then, people can say what they want to and it will truely not affect you one way or the other because you have not allowed your ego to attach it'self to these words.

That is when the wise old addage that we all learned on the playground finally makes a new kind of sense.

"Sticks and Stones may breakk my bones............."
edit on 14-11-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

That was a terrific post. I read that book, too.

As I said earlier, people are so distracted these days, they don't have time to think about things like ego, because they still might be really from the boss yelling at them today at work, somebody knocking a meal they cooked, somebody flipping them off in traffic.

I grew up in a very abusive household, with parents who knew how susceptible people are to their ego's, and they took advantage of that crushing us nearly daily with the negative affects on ego.

I said earlier, that I am so very much aware of it, that I use it to the positive side after all my experiences, because I learned from two master manipulating parents.

In order to even recognize ego, people need to also be really honest about it with themselves recognizing it on both ends of the spectrum.

A good way to do this also, when you feel the effects of ego, is to sit down and learn exactly what is was that affected you. I spent 19 months in a domestic violence program, and we had to do worksheets called fundamental problem solvers whereby you had to be completely honest about a situation that happened to you, good or bad, and trace it all the way back to it's roots. 9 times out of 10 what you thought might have been something that say upset you, wasn't really what it was at all. It's the way your ego took it!

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Great thread, star and flag

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
Kill your ego. See how far it will get you. Without it, one is without a soul. Besides, how does one kill a part of himself without affecting the whole?

Why not use the ego? It is indeed a part of us and completely unique to whomever it belongs.

I took as being aware to master it and use it instead of it controlling you, not killing it ...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Professing a path to mastery over the human ego is a form of prideful egotism in itself.

In my opinion, many of the philosophies that embrace ascension above the bounds of humanity are a pointless attempt to detach from one's own humanity. It stems from an inherent, unconscious dislike of the weaknesses of humanity and therefore, an inbred dislike of oneself.

If one feels that certain inherent aspects of humanity are distasteful, unsightly and macabre, one need only adopt a philosophy where he/she is one of the special individuals that is able to "rise above" the other human riff-raff. This satisfies the need to be distant from that which is ugly within the self, and soothes the unavoidably voracious ego with an illusion of enlightenment.

This line of thought, to me, is a meaningless mentally masturbatory exercise.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

I spent about a year in the same program you did and I learned alot from it too.
Sounds like we both learned the same things. Good for you.

What used to piss me off now seems so silly because I have realized what was really going on.
My sense of self was being challenged, or so I percieved.
Once that happens, all bets were off.
It has been not only changing how I respond to a percieved threat but also re-evaluating what I consider to be a threat in the first place.

Ego, as far as I have been able to tell, starts soon after being born.
When your parents start saying your name.
Well, really it isn't YOURS yet since you haven't declared ownership of it yet.

Once that baby starts responding to it though, look out. Ego has been born.
He has taken that sound (the babies name) and incorporated into his understanding of himself.
He has declared ownership of it.
Once that happens, it is all downhill from there.

As Echart Tolle understands, I also don't believe ego MUST be a "BAD" thing but it certainly needs to be first recognised for what it truely is and then.....REIGNED IN!

Now that he has taken ownership of the sound of his name, he will now be forever bound to it whenever someone calls it out. He will ALWAYS react to someone making that sound.

But, ask yourself, is your name.....YOU???
Or is it a sound which you have agreed to let represent YOU?
What happens when you stop ownership of that sound?

So, I am not Chris, therefore I don't give two squirts of piss what anyone says about him.
I am all that is,was, and ever shall be.
I am infinite consciousness having a finite experience.
I no longer identify with my name but I still agree to let it represent me while I am here.
Nothing has changed but my relationship to that sound.

Don't get me started about my online persona.
That is a trip, how wrapped up people get in their digital egos.

Again, people create an avatar and an online name which they agree to let represent them while they are here.
And just as predictably, they let their egos rule and DOMINATE them and the person in control of it is a thousand miles away on a laptop in a cofee shop or more likely in their parents basement.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by InTheFlesh1980
Professing a path to mastery over the human ego is a form of prideful egotism in itself.

Must have missed where anyone did that.

Then I would suggest you stay locked into your ego right where you are since it seems to suit you well.
As for me, I shall continue to explore.
edit on 14-11-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

No one did that. Let's substitute the word "pursuing" instead of "professing". Hopefully, this substitution will alleviate the offense taken, yet sustain the nature of the pontification.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

Hopefully, this substitution will alleviate the offense taken,

Again, must have missed that one too.

Offense is an emotion I am unfamiliar with.
I can't imagine what anyone could do or say which would trigger me to get offended.
This ties directly in with the discussion we are trying to have though.
The EGO gets offended and then YOU take ownership of that feeling.

No offense here, on my part at least.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
your well worded post drove me into a period of deep, deep thought.

When I emerged I realized something.

I am an enigma wrapped in bacon

There, I said it.

The ego has spoken

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Then I would suggest you stay locked into your ego right where you are since it seems to suit you well.
reply to post by Screwed

he was just supplying the necessary balance to all the people praising the op

edit on 14-11-2012 by aynock because: filled out

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
At first, I thought: "This is the worst case of 'projection' I've seen in a while." I will admit feeling anger well up within me.

I am constantly "checking" myself in an attempt to control my ego. The word is... control. I think the ego is a worthy asset as long as it's not used as a vehicle for petty thought and actions.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

Who said anything about professing a path? Professing anything can be prideful. On top of that, when I recall my childhood, there was awe, wonder, and awareness .....there was no ego, division, separation, until later.

In my opinion, many of the philosophies that embrace ascension above the bounds of humanity are a pointless attempt to detach from one's own humanity. It stems from an inherent, unconscious dislike of the weaknesses of humanity and therefore, an inbred dislike of oneself.

Perhaps this inherent dislike is all an ego trip, considering we are not inherently the ego anyway.

On top of that, humanity is weak and limited, considering Scientists are now figuring out how to manipulate genes for several hundred year life spans, for increasing usage of the braid from 3-5% to much higher rates, for stemming off all disease and generating a super immune system. Seems there are definite limits in place that are malleable.

If one feels that certain inherent aspects of humanity are distasteful, unsightly and macabre, one need only adopt a philosophy where he/she is one of the special individuals that is able to "rise above" the other human riff-raff.

Perhaps you don't yet realize that all of the world's ills, wars, rapes, pillage, greed, murders, molestations, and the rest of the distasteful, unsightly, and macabre stuff we see is all a result of Ego (the divisions, choices, self justifications, bias bubbles, nationalism) ...all learned ...things that were not there as children.

This satisfies the need to be distant from that which is ugly within the self, and soothes the unavoidably voracious ego with an illusion of enlightenment.

So you would rather embrace and fulfill that which is ugly within the self? I know I'm not my ego because I am aware of it. I remember when it was not there as a Child.

This line of response, to me, is a meaningless ego self defense mechanism that the real you is not aware of.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
An eye see's everything but itself. Anything that an Eye see's, is not the eye.

So too, Awareness can be, and should be aware of everything, including itself. Anything that Awareness is aware of, is not Awareness.

This is the beginning of wisdom, of ego death, of Enlightenment.

That's deep...like a kiddie pool. Been reading some Eggtart Tolle, eh? So, tell me: What is the sound of one hand clapping?

edit on 14-11-2012 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Someone has been watching Oprah

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Quit Koaning around

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
As much as I do like myself, I wouldn't mind shedding my identity someday. Separatism is wearisome. Alas, having some measure of a shell is required in order to function and have experiences. Otherwise, we all might as well be one massive, personality-less observer with many physical bodies. (Wait...)

edit on 14-11-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
You're an A**hole. Be aware of the minds reaction.

You're an Idiot. Be aware of the minds reaction.

You're pathetic, useless, scumbags, waste of humans. Be aware of the minds reaction.

If I have no reaction, what does that mean?

The ego can never die, but it can be suppressed and trained. It is impossible to rid oneself of the ego because the ego is essentially the idea of the "I;" ego is identity.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I think some posters Egos in here are being revealed as you call them a-holes.

They say- "you are an ahole"...my response... "you should go before your ego gets punched in the face".

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I think it is wrong to assume that if someone reacts to insults then they are dominated by their ego. Sometimes people react for a reason, on purpose.

"Anybody can become angry - that is easy. But to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy." -Aristotle

edit on 14-11-2012 by illuminated0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I actually laughed....does that make me the greatest master ever?

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join