It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denise Helms, California Woman, Fired After Calling Obama N-Word, Hoping He's Assassinated (VIDEO)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkKnight76

No. I didn't mean to imply anything to you personally. It was just a question as per the legal/technicality of the situation before/during/after the election for a presidential candidate and its security.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

As to the matter at hand, the President is the President, and Americans have an alarming propensity for shooting them.
What? That happened twice since inception, I would hardly call it an alarming propensity.
Well...start with the four successful assassinations: Abraham Lincoln, James A. Garfield, William McKinley and John F. Kennedy...then hit the list of attempts - presidential assassination attempts and plots

I think you get my point.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I was wrong.

edit on 14-11-2012 by lucidclouds because: Wrongness

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

boohooo cry me a river build a bridge and get over it

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Yeah someone pointed out how wrong I was.

I only remembered Kenedy and Lincoln.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Maybe she was being used as an example. Her words can be viewed as potentially having the ability stir or incite race violence.

Unfortunate but people should know how and what to say in public.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

lol,Now i see why the real white people voted for obama,i guess they are tired of the same old racist theme and amusment in the USA thats been going on like forever.So glad America has changed...so glad the republicans wont ever get back in office.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma
Maybe she was being used as an example. Her words can be viewed as potentially having the ability stir or incite race violence.

Of that I have NO DOUBT!

Originally posted by Jaellma

Unfortunate but people should know how and what to say in public.

Agreed! She was just stupid enough to keep it going...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

Yes Freedom of Speech, but there is no freedom from the consequences of that speech.
You can say whatever you like but get ready for an ass kicking for saying it.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

boohooo cry me a river build a bridge and get over it
Interesting take on the subject. The thread is about whether or not there is accountability for ignorant and offensive posts on social media. Your position is remarkably transparent. Many thanks for your contribution, it certainly adds context.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Originally posted by hp1229
Why the double standards? After all there were countless threads and name calling during the election and debates for Romney. I wonder what the secret service did so far about the Romney threats on twitter.

As I said in the other thread about this subject a few days ago, it's not a double standard for the Secret Service to investigate the allegation made against this young woman.

It is a Class-D felony to threaten the life of the President. They are required by law and the virtue of their very job to investigate any and all claims related to such if notified of them.

Romney is NOT the President of the United States.

Although they are required to protect a major Presidential candidate 120 days before the general election, they aren't required to continue to protect them afterwards. That can end after just a few days.

Currently their primary duty is to the President of the United States not Romney.

He can notify the authorities if he feels he has been threatened and they can investigate and see if it amounts to a real threat.

The same thing happened to citizens who were reported as having threatened George Bush Jr.
There was even a few High School students questioned by the Secret Service over alleged threats to Bush.

Teen questioned for online Bush threats

SACRAMENTO — Upset by the war in Iraq, Julia Wilson vented her frustrations with President Bush last spring on her Web page on MySpace.com. She posted a picture of the president, scrawled "Kill Bush" across the top and drew a dagger stabbing his outstretched hand. - USA TODAY

Or...

Secret Service confiscates anti-Bush drawings by 15-year-old at Prosser High

On Friday, the boy was questioned by the Secret Service after his art teacher turned in sketches by the boy featuring President Bush. In one, Bush's head was on a stake. In another, he was dressed as the devil, firing off rockets. The caption on one sketch read, "End the War -- on errorism." - SeattlePI

We REALLY do have short memories.

Originally posted by resoe26
eeeek. Girl is quite brave!

I'd say she's more stupid than brave.

It doesn't take courage to threaten someone online or make racist statements about them.
In fact it is quite cowardly and trollish.

She foolishly put her job in jeopardy by making an offensive public statement because unless she is in Montana or has a union contract her employment is AT-WILL.

Meaning she can be fired for conduct outside of her job that her employers feel reflect poorly on them in the eyes of the community. If she feels this is unjust she can plead her case to the National Labor Relations Board but I don't believe she has a case at all.

As I posted in that other thread:

Can You Be Fired for What You Post on Facebook?

You might think the First Amendment decides the legal issue here, but it doesn’t. The Constitution protects free speech from government interference. In the private sector, however, courts have made management discretion the rule. Employees who don’t work for the government and aren’t in a union can be fired or punished for almost anything they say, wherever they say it. Business groups say companies need the authority to put the best person in the job and to shuffle as they deem necessary. - SLATE.com

Free speech can have consequences.
Things you publicly post online doesn't just float into a black hole of anonymity...it can go right back to you.

You can be fired for how you behave on the various social media out there and it isn't always unjustified.

Don't let the results of the election turn you into an irresponsible child throwing a public online tantrum.

- Lee
edit on 14-11-2012 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
this thread reminds me of what i heard on the radio today...

a woman in arizona voted for rommney...her husband didn't vote at all...she got so mad thinking that his vote was wasted and obama was elected and it was his fault....she ran him down with her car. He is in serious condition...she is in jail....what is wrong with people??

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

actually it has happened four times. lincoln, garfield. mckinley and kennedy.

as to her firing? well that's just free market capitalism at work. she put her opinion in a public forum where people see her face. then when people see her at her work, then people will associate that place with her views. cold stone has every right to not have an employee on their payroll who might give the business a bad name. considering on how many republican/conservative/racist business owners are out there, she should have no problem finding a job.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

a woman in arizona voted for rommney...her husband didn't vote at all...she got so mad thinking that his vote was wasted and obama was elected and it was his fault....she ran him down with her car. He is in serious condition...she is in jail....what is wrong with people??
reply to post by research100

Those crazy republicans are at it again.
Well, I guess she won't be able to vote in the next presidential election. I guess the shoe is now on the other foot. Her not voting in the next presidential election will probably cause a democrat to win the White House in 2016.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

calling someone the n word is an opinion? no its racist garbage. next time she will come up with a logical diatribe without using death threats or racist name calling. thank you.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by blackthorne

Yeah, I displayed some ignorance with that one didn't I?

I am glad others edumacated me on that error, I really only remembered Kenedy and Lincoln

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

Whether it's racist or not, it is still obviously her opinion of obama. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

so her opinion is that obama is an n-word? i would not give her opinion one miligram of thought if thats how she sums up he feelings towards another person. plus any non minority who thinks using the n-word is ok because "they i.e minorities and wanna be rapper kids" use the term, i challenge you to go down martin luther king drive in any major city and call an african american that word so you can see just how acceptable that word is.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

Oh please son, I done called people that evil word in BX, and they called me the same thing back. Im really scurred up in hea

And yeah, I assume it is her opinion, why else would she say it?

The only people that ever batted an eye at it was old racist black guys. No one in my generation gave a crap.
edit on Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:12:12 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by research100

Especially considering Arizona went Red.
His vote wasn't going to be the tie-breaker or anything when her State went for Romney regardless.

- Lee

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join