It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WATCH LIVE 10am ET: Should the UN control the Internet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
"The World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT-12) will convene in Dubai on December 3, 2012, to discuss expanding the role of the International Telecommunications Union — an agency of the United Nations — in regulating various aspects of the Internet, including standard setting, regulation of broadband providers, cybersecurity, and speech."

Live video stream at source link:

Source

The conference’s US delegation, led by Ambassador Terry Kramer, is united by its desire to maintain the current framework, which is based in large measure on multi-stakeholder organizations. Join Ambassador Kramer, other members of the US delegation, and a panel of distinguished experts from the government and Internet industry as they discuss the key issues at hand and outline the US position in advance of the upcoming conference.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I hope the internet does not fall into the hands of those who currently occupy the UN. However, a globally based and connected internet is something I believe should happen. We need to face it, we are still at a fledgling stage when it comes to the cyber frontier. It can be used to do great things and should be looked at on a global scale to serve the people.

Notice that I do not support the UN.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

The UN should be disbanded!

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
United Nations
Now there's an oxymoron if i've ever heard one

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Not what you'd expect from the presentation. The American is arguing for keeping the internet pure, and avoiding governmental interference at all costs. He also warned that, while the ITU likely needs some minor tweaks, he advises extreme caution in the wording.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
If we have learned anything about the U.N.
It is that ,They will do as they wish to anyone they want.
Inch by inch,step by step, by consent or by force.
When you are backed into a corner,
theres only one recourse ...Ya, follow ?

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think they should **** off and let it stay as is.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Oh wow, it's like they still think the internet is something quantifiable that even can be controlled. Can they try to control the service providers? Yes. But there's nothing they can do about groups of like-minded citizens forming ad-hoc networks on the basic TCP/IP standard.

new topics

top topics

join