It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Appalling Environmental Crisis in Finland!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
At this very moment there is an estimate of an amount over 1.200.000.000 litres of toxic waste water leaked into the very heart of Finland's nature.

The Source of all Evil - the Mining Company Talvivaara

- With a planned annual production of approximately 50,000 tonnes of nickel, Talvivaara has the potential to provide 2.3% of the world's current annual production of primary nickel by 2012.
- Talvivaara is anticipated to produce metals for a minimum of +60 years.
- First metals production in October 2008.Full scale production started in Q1 of 2009.
- First shipment of commercial grade nickel sulphide on 19 February 2009.
- Both Kuusilampi and Kolmisoppi are JORC classified deposits. The deposits have a thin overburden and a waste to ore ratio close to 1/1, making the deposits easy to mine and well-suited for open-pit operation. As such, - Talvivaara expects to have lower relative capital and operational cost than a substantial proportion of other nickel mines, thereby making it less susceptible to price variations of commodities.
- Talvivaara's bioheapleaching technology is expected to enable cost effective development and exploitation of the resource. The technology will provide the Group with cost advantages, both in terms of capital and operational expenditure.
- Finland has good geological databases, good infrastructure, a progressive mining law and readily available exploration services. The Group is expected to benefit from proximity of the project to existing energy and transportation infrastructure and potential customers.

Source

So we are talking about a partially government owned Mining Company that had a brilliant future until everything went wrong. And because of the stocks being owned by high authorities and policymakers, there was not a quick enough reaction to stop the production. Only the income had a meaning.

So where are we now?

Take a look. The linked video will show you what the catastrophe is all about. Toxic liquids are used in the processes by the plant and the toxic water is contained in a large basin. Well, the problem is that the basin was unacceptably sloppy built. Some sources state that there was only a 1.5mm plastic lining underneath the basin and it started to leak. The leakage couldn't be stopped and now the whole environment is facing the toll.

Google Maps

So where are we now?

1.2 million cubics of waste has poured out, with that an estimate of 6.100kg of Uranium. The nearby lakes have already been infected and soon the groundwater will be too. No decisions of stopping the activity has yet been made. The press hasn't been allowed to visit the site close by in a week. A total disaster and high authorities here are saving their own ass instead of our beautiful nature. Appalling. Makes me sick.

Today the first big protest is going to take place for the stopping of this big chunk of Scheit.

I think the company is going to be bankrupt in a few months and some of our head politicians have either managed to save their skin by hiding or have been beheaded by the public.

For now no one has yet taken the fall.

The major source.

This was a brief post. I will return with more when I get a chance to.
edit on 14-11-2012 by OnWhiteMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
People have overreacted to this. Though its bad situation, they do not think, they trust their feelings. Pollution is still inside the mine area, nothing yet detected outside it. Also the point that they are mining uranium is making people angry, but they have no knowledge about that there is uranium everywhere, and its impossible to avoid mining that.

There are no people living inside the mine area, so no danger to health, groundwater is not used (because it already contains large amounts of nickel from ore deposit).

The waste pool was badly designed, but now everyone wants to shut whole plant down, leading mass unemployment in poor area. Have to remember that this mine is first nickel mine to use bioheapleaching, which doesn't use any dangerous chemicals. Mine is just at starting phase, when the process is not fully balanced.

Now they are building water treatment plant and starting to use closed circulation for water.

There is only about 0,0015-0,0020% uranium in Talvivaara ore, slightly more than average, but way too less to call that uranium mine, like what green party and Greenpeace are saying.

It makes me sick that people want to close this one, Finland needs new flagship, since paper industry is going down. We own one of largest nickel deposits in Europe, shouldn't we use it? They can also move the metal processing plant to Russia if they want, and leave the mine here. But then profits go to Russia.
edit on 14-11-2012 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

I have to appreciate your reply to this, but I beg to differ on your opinion. I could never defend any actions like this. Ok, let us be reasonable. If they would fix all the issues, I wouldn't have problems with the site. But they have had their chances and they have not succeeded from the very beginning. And that has led to a national crisis bigger than ever.

Your whole post tries to downplay all the facts. Maybe the percentage of Uranium is small, but that doesn't make the leaked amount any smaller. You also have to remember that nickel, cadmium, aluminium and other metals have been leaked. That will result in fish deaths and ecological disturbances. And I haven't even mentioned how it could affect on people.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thebel
It makes me sick that people want to close this one, Finland needs new flagship, since paper industry is going down. We own one of largest nickel deposits in Europe, shouldn't we use it? They can also move the metal processing plant to Russia if they want, and leave the mine here. But then profits go to Russia.

But this fact doesn't give us the right to exploit AND rape the nature.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by OnWhiteMars

Originally posted by Thebel

But this fact doesn't give us the right to exploit AND rape the nature.

Do you think they willingly started the leak? There has been over 100 workers trying to get the leak shut down, it will be expensive for the company. Also, the metal plant is closed, they could go bankrupt because of this. If that happens, its taxpayers job to clean the area and landscape it. People forget how hard they are working to find solution to this leak. How hard is to find the spot and stop the leak, when the waste pool is HUGE.

And cleaning this mess isn't hard, but takes some time. They are adding Calcium oxide to water to rise its pH to precipipate the metals. Aluminium is the hard one though.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

No, I do not think that the leak was intentional, that would be plain stupidity and against the profiting game they have played all along. But I do think that the leak was a cause of the savings made in the construction stage. And that is one point I can't discard because of the toxics involved.

You are right about Finland needing a new flagship after the crash of Nokia, but this is absolutely the wrong way to proceed. By destroying nature, what is our gain?

The Company could have been a saviour but now it falls as a villain, as it should. But don't you worry. I bet there will be another company taking over shortly, then you will get your flag ship. Let's just hope they will do a better job.

And by the way, I do not wear any political badge. But I will always honor Mother Earth. She is the one providing me my home.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It is funny how the former CEO (resigned in the beginning of 2012) has fled the scene. The basin and the overflow ponds are his design. He is nowhere to be found at the moment. He gave his word in 2007 that if there ever would be a leak, the water would be cleaner than lake water. An that the Company would work through any crisis. Well... The water wasn't quite that pure and seems like the rat has jumped ship.

Source

Sorry for the news being in Finnish but you can use Google translator.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by OnWhiteMars
It is funny how the former CEO (resigned in the beginning of 2012) has fled the scene. The basin and the overflow ponds are his design. He is nowhere to be found at the moment. He gave his word in 2007 that if there ever would be a leak, the water would be cleaner than lake water. An that the Company would work through any crisis. Well... The water wasn't quite that pure and seems like the rat has jumped ship.

Source

Sorry for the news being in Finnish but you can use Google translator.

That news site is a joke. Pekka Perä made speech on 6.11. He hasn't disappeared. If I was him, I wouldn't have answered to Verkkomedia, its worse than Godlike Productions.
www.sotkamolehti.fi...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Verkkomedia is one of the last independent voices in our nation. They are not owned or yet bought by big corporations with censorships. I do not read them like the 'Bible' but I do trust them more than mainstream.

And yes Pekka Perä made an appearance after he was asked to by minister Heidi Hautala. But that was before the facts of the main catastrophe was released. Now he has vanished. When the SHTF.

I am not familiar with GLP, but what I have understood it is like a forum? If that is the case, you can't really even compare this news site with GLP.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I thought Finland was more progressive environmentally than the States.I don't know what the standards are in Finland, but in the US, landfills have to have a 5 foot liner. I can only imagine what the mines need to have. But the technology has been around long enough that more then a thin plastic liner is needed. Why isn't there a catching system in the first place?
Also, landfills and mines in the US have to carry a pretty hefty insurance policy worth billions(there is a name for it, I forget what it is) in case of any disaster or spills, so it isn't left on the taxpayers.

If indeed, all circumstances have been ignored, then the situations isn't overplayed and some people made some very serious environmental decisions to save money, and should be hung.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Talvivaara Mining Company Plc. Talvivaara's gypsum pond leakage has stopped
Thomson Reuters ONE Press Release: Talvivaaran Kaivososakeyhtiö Oyj – 9 hours ago

finance.yahoo.com/news/talvivaara-mining-company-plc-talvivaaras-075803631.html

Stock Exchange Release
Talvivaara Mining Company Plc
14 November 2012

Talvivaara`s gypsum pond leakage has stopped
Kainuu ELY Centre requests further clarifications to grant permission for re-start
of the metals recovery plant

Talvivaara Mining Company Plc ("Talvivaara" or the "Company") announces that the leakage of the gypsum pond at the Sotkamo mine has stopped. Most of the water that had previously leaked from the pond is contained within the mining concession area by the newly built fourth safety dam. No further release of the leakage water outside the mine area is anticipated.

Before the fourth safety dam was completed, some water from the gypsum pond had to be released towards South between Thursday 8 November and Sunday 11 November 2012. The released water was neutralized with lime in order to reduce its acidity and to precipitate its metal content. However, the effects of the discharge can be seen in the nearby waters as temporarily increased metal concentrations. According to the statement by Finland`s environmental administration on 13 November 2012, the samples taken from water bodies on the Southern side of the mine area on 11 November 2012 show metal concentrations that are harmful to life forms in these waters. Metals concentrations in the downstream river have already clearly reduced following the stoppage of any leakage outside the mine area. The Environmental administration continues to simulate the effects of the discharge as analytical data from water samples accumulates and informs of any effects in downstream waters.

Talvivaara has on 13 November 2012 given the clarification requested by the Kainuu Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment ("Kainuu ELY Centre") in order to grant permission for the re-start of Talvivaara`s metals recovery plant. After reviewing the clarification, the Kainuu ELY Centre has requested certain further clarifications, which the Company anticipates to provide during 14 November 2012.

Talvivaara has stated in its Production Update of 15 October 2012 and its Interim Results of 8 November 2012 that it anticipates its fourth quarter production to increase over the 4,030 tonnes of nickel achieved in the third quarter. As the stoppage of the metals recovery plant continues, the Company has to re-assess this target, but can only do so after it has received the ELY Centre`s decision on the permitted start-up date of the metals recovery plant.

Enquiries

Talvivaara Mining Company Plc Tel: +358 20 7129 800
Harri Natunen, Chief Executive Officer
Saila Miettinen-Lähde, Deputy CEO and CFO

Talvivaara Mining Company is an internationally significant base metals producer with its primary focus on nickel and zinc using a technology known as bioheapleaching to extract metals out of ore. Bioheapleaching makes extraction of metals from low grade ore economically viable. The Talvivaara deposits comprise one of the largest known sulphide nickel resources in Europe. The ore body is estimated to support anticipated production for several decades. Talvivaara has secured a 10-year off-take agreement for 100 per cent of its main output of nickel and cobalt to Norilsk Nickel and entered into a long-term zinc streaming agreement with Nyrstar NV. Talvivaara is listed on the London Stock Exchange Main Market and NASDAQ OMX Helsinki and is included in the FTSE 250 Index. Further information can be found at www.talvivaara.com.

This announcement is distributed by Thomson Reuters on behalf of Thomson Reuters clients.

The owner of this announcement warrants that:
(i) the releases contained herein are protected by copyright and other applicable laws; and
(ii) they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the
information contained therein.

Source: Talvivaaran Kaivososakeyhtiö Oyj via Thomson Reuters ONE

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yes, you bring forth the same questions as the people in Finland. This is lunacy. And the forces and choice makers behind the scenes should be brought forward.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I'm sick and tired of hearing all the speculation and hyperbole in all media outlets about this. Just fix the leak, then charge the person who designed the pool and who approved it and be done with it. Let the local news around talvivaara orgasm over this for as long as they desire. Just please, staaph.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Too bad a clean cut won't change what happened, but the hyperbole and speculations may result in better precautions in the future. Because we can't afford to make mistakes like this.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by wujotvowujotvowujotvo
Talvivaara Mining Company Plc. Talvivaara's gypsum pond leakage has stopped
Thomson Reuters ONE Press Release: Talvivaaran Kaivososakeyhtiö Oyj – 9 hours ago

finance.yahoo.com/news/talvivaara-mining-company-plc-talvivaaras-075803631.html

Stock Exchange Release
14 November 2012

Kainuu ELY Centre requests further clarifications to grant permission for re-start
of the metals recovery plant

Talvivaara Mining Company Plc ("Talvivaara" or the "Company") announces that the leakage of the gypsum pond at the Sotkamo mine has stopped. Most of the water that had previously leaked from the pond is contained within the mining concession area by the newly built fourth safety dam. No further release of the leakage water outside the mine area is anticipated.

Before the fourth safety dam was completed, some water from the gypsum pond had to be released towards South between Thursday 8 November and Sunday 11 November 2012. The released water was neutralized with lime in order to reduce its acidity and to precipitate its metal content. However, the effects of the discharge can be seen in the nearby waters as temporarily increased metal concentrations. According to the statement by Finland`s environmental administration on 13 November 2012, the samples taken from water bodies on the Southern side of the mine area on 11 November 2012 show metal concentrations that are harmful to life forms in these waters. Metals concentrations in the downstream river have already clearly reduced following the stoppage of any leakage outside the mine area. The Environmental administration continues to simulate the effects of the discharge as analytical data from water samples accumulates and informs of any effects in downstream waters.

Talvivaara has on 13 November 2012 given the clarification requested by the Kainuu Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment ("Kainuu ELY Centre") in order to grant permission for the re-start of Talvivaara`s metals recovery plant. After reviewing the clarification, the Kainuu ELY Centre has requested certain further clarifications, which the Company anticipates to provide during 14 November 2012.

Talvivaara has stated in its Production Update of 15 October 2012 and its Interim Results of 8 November 2012 that it anticipates its fourth quarter production to increase over the 4,030 tonnes of nickel achieved in the third quarter. As the stoppage of the metals recovery plant continues, the Company has to re-assess this target, but can only do so after it has received the ELY Centre`s decision on the permitted start-up date of the metals recovery plant.

Enquiries

Talvivaara Mining Company Plc Tel: +358 20 7129 800
Harri Natunen, Chief Executive Officer
Saila Miettinen-Lähde, Deputy CEO and CFO

Talvivaara Mining Company is an internationally significant base metals producer with its primary focus on nickel and zinc using a technology known as bioheapleaching to extract metals out of ore. Bioheapleaching makes extraction of metals from low grade ore economically viable. The Talvivaara deposits comprise one of the largest known sulphide nickel resources in Europe. The ore body is estimated to support anticipated production for several decades. Talvivaara has secured a 10-year off-take agreement for 100 per cent of its main output of nickel and cobalt to Norilsk Nickel and entered into a long-term zinc streaming agreement with Nyrstar NV. Talvivaara is listed on the London Stock Exchange Main Market and NASDAQ OMX Helsinki and is included in the FTSE 250 Index. Further information can be found at www.talvivaara.com.

This announcement is distributed by Thomson Reuters on behalf of Thomson Reuters clients.

The owner of this announcement warrants that:
(i) the releases contained herein are protected by copyright and other applicable laws; and
(ii) they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the
information contained therein.

Source: Talvivaaran Kaivososakeyhtiö Oyj via Thomson Reuters ONE

Yes. the leakage has stopped. Because the pond is empty

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OnWhiteMars

I have no problems with informative and factual reporting. What I have problem with is the "Here we have a deep sea fish sex expert telling us how this will impact the libido of anglerfish in the future. We also will discuss the possibility of sending the radiated water to greece like some Persu suggested.". That's what we're getting atm. and unfortunately at my work I have to listen to one specific radio channel that just loves to guess all possible scenarios.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Congratulations, you got a BP

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Very glad to hear it.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Sorry to hear your pond has been flooded with this subject. I somehow relate the 'guessing and speculating' to a lack of real information available from trusted media. This is how the gossips really blossom.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Now the following stage will be a hype over the cheap stocks available, so the authorities get rid of their stocks and cut their losses, better said, get some of their invested capital back. If it is possible anymore. I'm sure there will be some people falling for it and buying themselves a pile of goo.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join