Greetings From The Frozen Ice Box Of The North... Otherwise Known As Alaska

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Hello fellow ATSers....

I figured I might as well actually post an introduction since I seem, to be actually posting more than just, lurking reading through the topics
Heard of this site from C2C, and it is such a natural fit to the show...

So I have a question however, I have been trying to figure out how to put an Avatar up but I cannot figure out for the life of me how one can upload it from their computer to here, all I ever get is upoad from a url source anyone care to help on that.

For The Record:
No we do NOT live in igloos...

No we do NOT use dog sleds to go everywhere...

But I DO have a pet polar bear... No not really but it sounded good..

Oh and no you CANNOT see Russia from where I live....

Anyhoo.. let it begin.. muhahahah!!

- Grim
edit on 14/11/2012 by Grimmley because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimmley

For The Record:
No we do NOT live in igloos...

No we do NOT use dog sleds to go everywhere...

But I DO have a pet polar bear... No not really but it sounded good..

Oh and no you CANNOT see Russia from where I live....

Anyhoo.. let it begin.. muhahahah!!

And you don't live in the icebox of the north, either. It's located here:

en.wikipedia.org...

International Falls has long promoted itself as the "Icebox of the Nation"; however, the trademark for the slogan has been challenged on several occasions by the small town of Fraser, Colorado. Officials from Fraser claimed usage since 1956, International Falls since 1948. The two towns came to an agreement in 1986, when International Falls paid Fraser $2,000 to relinquish its "official" claim. However, in 1996, International Falls inadvertently failed to renew its federal trademark, although it had kept its state trademark up to date. Fraser then filed to gain the federal trademark.[7] International Falls submitted photographic proof that its 1955 Pee Wee hockey team traveled to Boston, Massachusetts with the slogan.[8] After several years of legal battles, the United States Patent and Trademark Office officially registered the slogan with International Falls on January 29, 2008, Registration Number 3375139.[9] Only a few days after announcing its success in the trademark battle, International Falls had a daily record low temperature of −40°F (−40°C), beating a previous record of −37°F (−38.3°C) in 1967.[10]

Hate to burst your bubble, but welcome!

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
If you go to "tools" and click on "ATS uploads" there will be a button to upload an image. Once you upload it click on that image and then click on "avatar" it will take you to a page to confirm.

I'm not good at explaining things but I tried, lol.

I wish you had let me believe that you had a pet polar bear. Oh and welcome
edit on 11/14/12 by Miri08 because: can't spell, thank you insomnia

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Hola and welcome!

I was really hoping the pet polar bear was true

So, I have always wanted to see the aurora borealis, can you really see it up there?

And exactly how many hours of daylight are you currently getting?

My uncle worked on the pipeline up there and used to tell me stories, made it sound like an amazing place. Hopefully one day I'll get to visit.

See ya on the threads!

Mija

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Lol yeah, they might have trade marked it, however that is just a tiny speck.. more like an icecube not the ice box...

Although that is kinda funny never heard of that place before, but still... this:

International Falls

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.4 square miles (16.6 km2), of which, 6.3 square miles (16.3 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (2.03%) is water.

Vs.

Alaska

Alaska is the largest state in the United States in land area at 586,412 square miles (1,518,800 km2), over twice the size of Texas, the next largest state. Alaska is larger than all but 18 sovereign countries. Counting territorial waters, Alaska is larger than the combined area of the next three largest states: Texas, California, and Montana. It is also larger than the combined area of the 22 smallest U.S. states.

Not even close....lol

Grim

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

Thanks!

I will have to load it from home.. I'm currently at work, with some much much needed down time.. lol

Originally posted by Mijamija
Hola and welcome!

I was really hoping the pet polar bear was true

So, I have always wanted to see the aurora borealis, can you really see it up there?

And exactly how many hours of daylight are you currently getting?

My uncle worked on the pipeline up there and used to tell me stories, made it sound like an amazing place. Hopefully one day I'll get to visit.

See ya on the threads!

Well first off not matter how hollywood or the MSM protray polar bears, they are NOT cuddley by any means, in fact your lunch if your not lucky. They are definately the alpha predators up here.

Yes the Aurora are beautiful when you can see them, but as of late its been either foggy or cloudy havent seen them in a couple of weeks..

As for the amount of daylight.. let see the sun has been rising around 0900 and sets between 1700-1800 so about 6.5 to 7hrs ish.. I work nights so its night when I goto work and its night when Im off..lol

Alaska is by far the most beautiful place on earth.. minus the cold, snow and dark in the winters, and the mosquitos in the summer... They are bad enough that they hae been nicknamed the State Air Force.. no joke..
But I digress, you literally have mountians that go from sea level to 5-6K ft. Its hard to discribe but it is by far one of, if not the most beautiful place on earth..

Grim

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Welcome To The Community

You'll find answers to your problems below and be sure to try out Ask ATS with any "search words" of your choice & you'll find numerous threads to add your thoughts to right now.

Here are some handy links to get you oriented into now becoming a valued member of ATS.

Reaffirming ATS Policies
Visit here next - ATS Freshmans Forum
Index of Important ATS Related Threads
Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First
Easy Way to Upload Your Pics & Avatar Graphics
Terms & Conditions Of Use (The complete and end all guide to our policies)

*** Keep your arms within the ride's comfort zone, have fun & help us "Deny Ignorance" ***
ATS at times is like a rollercoaster ride! Be aware if one acts in an uncivil-like manner, discusses personal illicit drug usage, uses profanity, is a troll, intentionally spreads a hoax, spam's, advertises and/or get's verbally abusive, they will be warned or removed off the ride by a Moderator. If you see posted any of the above mentioned, please let one of staff know by using the "Alert" function. This is for your safety, & for those both young and old on this ride with you.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Welcome and here ya go: Step by step how to upload an avatar! Have fun here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Welcome!!
I was stationed in Alaka, Ft. Wainwright, by Fairbanks, back in the 90's for about 6 years, and I agree 100%, it's the most BEAUTIFUL state in the Union. If I didn't settle here in North Carolina, I'd be back up there in a heartbeat. Maybe I'll go back up once my son turns 18, and takes his own life path. Gotta convince the gf to come with me, she hates the cold tho lol
So where in ak are you?
I know you don't have a pet polar bear, but I bet you have a pet mosquito lol

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Thanks that did help quite abit, however.. still cannot seem to get the wallpaper to set right.. I will have to mess around with it when I have more time.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Hello and welcome to ya.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Thanks that did help quite abit, however.. still cannot seem to get the wallpaper to set right.. I will have to mess around with it when I have more time.

Well at least you got part of a face now.
You'll figure it out! I got faith. Since one of the posters confessed to living in Alaska, I guess I will too, Kodiak here way long time ago, not quite when Moses was a boy, but close.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimmley

Grim,

Definetly sounds like my kind of place, I'll take snow and ice anyday over blistering heat and oppressive humidity!

Didn't know about the mosquitos....but that is a minor annoyance compared to some of the bugs I've had to live with in other areas!

thanks for the response and hope you enjoy the forums!

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Lol no no nooooo pet mosquito... dog eats them... well them and brown recluses.. daddy long legs... dang near any insect lol...

Live in Anchorage, and I have to admit I have only been to Squarebanks.. errr I mean Fairbanks twice in over 25 years here for a grand total of about 15hrs. ROFL..

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I havent actually had the chance to get to Kodiak, I have wanted to, just never seem to get there.. tho truck doesnt float so well and the ferry system is outrageously expensive..

Ok so I made a black backround for my wallpaper, edited in the image that I wanted and it is now not showing up the right size.. I made the background 700x200 pixels... any helpful suggestions on this?

Thanks again for the help!!

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I havent actually had the chance to get to Kodiak, I have wanted to, just never seem to get there.. tho truck doesnt float so well and the ferry system is outrageously expensive..

Ok so I made a black backround for my wallpaper, edited in the image that I wanted and it is now not showing up the right size.. I made the background 700x200 pixels... any helpful suggestions on this?

Thanks again for the help!!

here is what I use for a transparency I use it for the avatar section, then my pic for the background, is how I do it.

img.abovetopsecret.com... just copy what you can't see above the words parts, lol it is there
edit on 14-11-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Welcome! I'm from good ol' AK as well! There's no place like home right.
With the world going so crazy, it's nice to know that we have good neighbors.
Have fun!

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

Thanks mate!

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Lol Amen to that!

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Ooook, It keeps cutting off half of my wallpaper.. any help or suggestions would be great.. lol

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join