It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTF- was i nearly scammed...job interview in the city!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
We should all call them up and waste their time over the next few day. We should also all spend time giving them fake credit card numbers saying 'oh, I must have made a mistake with the number' and then give them a slightly different fake one, thus raising their hopes and wasting their time too!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Be weary about going through middle man training to get certs. They could be legit but it's hard to say. CompTIA is a good place to start. If you was ever hired by the DoD (Department of Defense) they have a screening process and training IE...IA, IAM Certs for Intelligence Agencies to get your security clearances, CompTIA can help you with that. They have their thorough processes for military, civilian contractors.

Good place to start is a trusted website...

CompTIA

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Greetings Pharaoh,

I enjoyed reading your post and as a Yank here in the States I see nothing you posted as being negative with regards to the UK .

In fact it is a very positive post for me as it showed there are people across the pond that have their eyes open and are seeing the same things other people over here are seeing after waking up.

The respect you show to your country is admirable as well.

Thanks,

MSB

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
That was an interesting encounter.

However you should have gone in and been like ''We have them, move in, move in''.

That would have gave them a scare...
But probably best to play it safe when you don;t know who you're dealing with. Some very sinister people out there today who don't mind taking advantage of others for their own benefit.

Good way to handle the situation though.
I wonder how many people signed on?
Maybe someone should take a secret camera in when they go and try to get some faces? Expose a few people.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Pharoah, well done for seeing it before you got hurt, im interested though, what is it about the last few modules that makes you think you cannot complete them alone?.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Son-in-Law almost bought into one of those. It's all in the contract that they will "train you" for the job opening that will be there 6 months from now. They pay for everything. If you quit the training program or are fired for any reason over the next 5 years you owe full costs of 6 months of training with interest and penalties.

Running the numbers, it was 6-figures he was going to be bound by contract to pay once he signed the papers and he decided to quit because he didn't want to clean subway toilets with his tongue.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

This is a scam using the same method $cientology uses, it's actually pretty clever. It's like a dealer giving a victim something for free to get them hooked, then comes the problem when you need to pay for it yourself.

People are duped into doing this because by the time they are a third of the way through and they realize it's a scam, they have already invested money and time and don't want to waste it. There is also the embarrassment of having been duped and conned, no one wants to admit that, so they carry on, spending more and more money and basically just getting themselves into debt and handing that money over to a scammer.

I can almost guarantee that anyone who does actually spend all of that money and gets all the way through it through stubbornness and determination will just end up being hired by that company to do the same to others, it's like a never ending pyramid scheme of fraud.

You know all those ads on the net and in papers suggesting you can earn thousands a month from home? Most of those require a payment, and then you find out that you make that money from duping other people in exactly the same way to do exactly the same thing.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

There have always been plenty of job scams out there, by "fake employment agencies", for example.
Here's one I encountered in New York City, around 1982.
There was an offering for a security guard job. (With hindsight,the first red flag was a whole lot of applicants ,at a time far less severe as relating to unemployment.) I filled out the application and was told my chances looked good, as long as I was bonded. I wasn't, but was told an agency just down the block could handle that for just ten dollars.(That would be more like $20 or more nowadays.)
I never got the job, which likely never existed. When I later did the math, based on the number of applicants being "processed", the bonding agency was making a fortune off this scheme! I believe I estimated their take to be about three thousand dollars a day. It's sad to see people taking advantage of the unemployed, but one must give them credit for coming up with such an ingenious scam to obtain so much money without hurting any one person all that much.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
You mean capitalism and free markets, not scam, right?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
It would have been easier for me to read your thread if you added more ..... and ...... in. In its current form I am not able to read it.

Please add more ....... and ....... for us non.........allergic people.

Awesome job adding WTF in your thread title too, love that part.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I live in Canada, and last year I got a phone call for an interview for a 'sales position'. I've worked in warehouses for the last 10 years - I have no sales experience whatsoever. I can barely find decent work in in my field and these guys are looking for me.

I can't remember why but I said yes, and started to psyche myself up for the interview. Then I started to get a feeling in my gut, and I decided to research the company name online. And sure enough, I came across forums and what not, telling similar stories to yours.

You have to be careful, especially in this day in age, given the market turmoil, there are plenty of savages out there looking to feed on the growing trend of people desperately looking for work.

It's an ugly situation. And I must admit, I've thought about going down that slippery slope myself, but I remembered that I am the person I am today by not giving in to temptation over the years, and standing on principle.

But back to you, yeah, I think you were (almost) scammed.

Bottom Line: If it seems too good to be true, it mostly likely is.
edit on 15-11-2012 by sumgai because: Grammer

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Done a bit of Googling on PPR Training, seems legit, they are even listed in the yellow pages.

www.yell.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve
It would have been easier for me to read your thread if you added more ..... and ...... in. In its current form I am not able to read it.

Please add more ....... and ....... for us non.........allergic people.

Awesome job adding WTF in your thread title too, love that part.

hilarious

i thought i was making it easier to read....ah....well!

lol

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
yeah we have people running similar scams here in the states. They are called Online Degrees - the ones they make you pay for, not the truly worthwhile ones that are actually free although not (yet) accredited. Of the latter I am referring to (may God bless) the Saylor Foundation (Woot! I am hacking through their FREE and ONLINE Computer Science degree course) and the MIT open source initiative.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
These scammers can be quite creative. I am a German living in Malysia, together with my family.

One day my wife got a friend frequest from one guy from Switzerland. He was looking for some information related to living in Malaysia becasuse he would also soon work here.

But his trip was delayed. He applied for a director position at one of the big petrol companies here. He got the job and they sent him documents to sign together with $10.000 in cash for his expences/ticket purchase and so on. But too bad, the package was stopped at customs in London. They asked him to pay 2000 Euro for release and apologized, he will get the money back. That happened a second then in Netherlands. The release was 1000 Euro and each time he had to transfer the money to accounts, located in that particular country.

Family and friends told him, thats a scam! Dont pay! But he payed... he gave up his safe job for this new opportunity. The scammer did a really good job to convince him that this is the real deal.

He applied online about a year ago with the response, that he would have been a good candidate, but unfortunately someone else got the job. Then 6 months later they sent an email, whether he is still interested or not. The other candiate jumped off.

He was and they did an interview via skype. Then he had to wait for another two weeks until they told him , "Congratulations, you got the job!" What they offered sounded very good, with a car (better Toyota), working only 4 days a week and just from 10am to 3pm. At least two free trips back to Switzerland per year and a generous salary.

He also had a contact in Malaysia he called many times. It was a well engineered scam from A to Z and quite some people over the globe must have been involved.
edit on 15.11.2012 by C64Warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Is there any chance that you could post the email you recieved from them?
Also, could you post the email address that you recieved. If the email had a 'reply to' address then can you post this too?

Edit.

If you can post the email address, can you disguise it so that nobody can easily search for it. Replace o with 0, 3 with e etc.

edit on 16-11-2012 by Knobby because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join