It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subtract Texas Add Puerto Rico = 50 Stars

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I can understand Texas' stand on secession. They joined in 1845, left for the confederacy, came back when confederacy lost and now they want to leave again because of a stupid election. They have 35,000 signed petitioners for secession......how many people live in Texas again? How many people live in Texas illegally that don't even count? Why am I reading this crap on yahoo again? Texas will stay in the "Union" regardless of whatever their politics spew into mainstream media. Everything is bigger in Texas......especially mouths.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
As much as I would like to see Puerto Rico apply for Statehood, the US unfortunately is not quite ready for it.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

They were their own country before they where a state. Same with Puerto Rico and Hawaii(kingdom).

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman
reply to post by kenny71

They were their own country before they where a state. Same with Puerto Rico and Hawaii(kingdom).

They were also part of a contiguous land mass, where indigenous people lives without a concept of borders.

Past is past.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

How about California instead? Losing California and adding Puerto Rico would actually decrease the number of spanish speaking Americans, and would improve the overall economy! Texas has a budget, California is perpetually bankrupt. Plus, we lose Hollywood and all the plastics, and the California Wine will become an import, which immediately gives it more credibility and thus they can up the price! We lose the wine, but gain the RUM!

Also, think about how the election game would change! And FEMA won't have to repair things when they finally split off and float away into the Pacific, just like Puerto Rico!!
edit on 13-11-2012 by darkhorserider because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Yeah its common knowledge that they were on their own up until 1845. I am just more on the topic of how whiny certain states are after the election AND how the media likes spinning stuff like this out of control. I mean I know the 35000 people who signed the petition are serious but what does the other part of the Texas populace think about this. Anybody from Texas?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

I guess you're right that Puerto Rico joining and Texas leaving would still leave us with 50 stars but there are at least 15 states that are petitioning to leave the Union. First of all, we all know these petitions accomplish squat, zero, nothing, nada but what they are is a forum for people to voice their concerns. Are all these people just upset about a stupid election? My guess in no, and that's because this corrupt Gov't has given the American people PLENTY to be extremely upset about.

Btw, Texas so far has waaaaay more than the 25,000 signatures needed to warrant a response from the White House and waaaay more than your numbers you're reporting in you OP.

Texas Secession Petition Racks Up More Than 80,000 Signatures, Qualifies For White House Response

www.huffingtonpost.com...

A petition for Texas secession has qualified to receive a White House response.

As of Tuesday evening, the petition -- which asks for the peaceful withdrawal of the state of Texas from the union -- had racked up more than 81,000 signatures. (Only 25,000 are needed to elicit an official response from the Obama administration.)

Do States Actually Have The Right To Secede?

edit on 13-11-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

Pretty sure you have your numbers wrong my friend. Way more have signed.

Yes, please let Texas leave. We have something like the 15th best economy in the world. We are on our own power grid...why? I guess because we signed a "prenup" so to speak...we don't like relying on someone else.

As far as our illegals, yeah, they are here. You know what though, the ones I know have a job, aren't on welfare, and aren't getting into trouble. Yeah, we pay for their kids to go to school here, but they aren't even half as bad as some. There are plenty of people, mostly regular old citizens, who live solely by working the system. They are the ones who cause problems.

I say petition to secede. Stand up for a cause. Exercise our rights as Americans to speak out. Is it not our right?
edit on 13-11-2012 by fictitious because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The population of Texas is 601,723 according to the 2010 census. There are 333,435 people in Texas that recieve Welfare. That's more than half. If they secede, they LOSE that welfare. Most of the welfare recipients are sreaming about how they want to secede because that's what faux news tells them to shout.

Over 80% of the welfare recipients I know are die hard republicans yet they shout and scream about the economy. Makes very little sense. They are the problem they are upset about.

Let them secede, then see what happens when the federal checks stop coming in.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

It will never happen. I think it would be hilarious if a State would try to break away from the US.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

It has happened and can happen again.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

For reals California is the 8th largest economy in the WORLD. The feds could not do without our contribution unless they get rid of most of the welfare states in the South and the bible belt. I say let's do it! We will keep all of the Mexicans and give you all of our uneducated, ignorant, and illiterate angry white people. Deal!?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
The population of Texas is 601,723 according to the 2010 census. There are 333,435 people in Texas that recieve Welfare. That's more than half. If they secede, they LOSE that welfare. Most of the welfare recipients are sreaming about how they want to secede because that's what faux news tells them to shout.

Over 80% of the welfare recipients I know are die hard republicans yet they shout and scream about the economy. Makes very little sense. They are the problem they are upset about.

That's not even the population of Dallas?

Texas is more like 25 million.

The 333,000 number is correct, but that is less than 1.5%, not 50%.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by fictitious

23% of the children in the state of Texas are below the poverty level.
55.4% of the population is on welfare (federal assistance)
The median family income is 37 out of 51 (DC is what makes it 51 as opposed to 50)
Only 13.8% of families have retirement income. That's 47th out of 51.

If they secede, there will be no federal payments, no welfare, no SS, none of the benefits offered by the federal government. I say let them go....of course we'll retain any federally owned land and resources as well as the military since they're federal, not state. If they want to "drop out" and join Texas' own military, fine, but they lose everything including their citizenship.

Sorry texas, you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want out, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya, but don't expect anything given to you by the US government.

...oh, and watch out for the nukes

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by darkhorserider

For reals California is the 8th largest economy in the WORLD. The feds could not do without our contribution unless they get rid of most of the welfare states in the South and the bible belt. I say let's do it! We will keep all of the Mexicans and give you all of our uneducated, ignorant, and illiterate angry white people. Deal!?

Deal! Send those do-gooding hippies down here to the South, we'll show 'em how to work and get a tan without using bronzers, LOL!

It is the 8th largest economy in the world, but it is running in the red perennially, and borrowing both money and electricity from surrounding states. We lose the contributions, but we also lose the burdens.

California benefits too, because they can then become the foreign, alternative lifestyle they desire, and their goods suddenly become chic to import back to the US. I think it sounds like a win-win!

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

There are 4 million in Houston alone! The population of Texas is 25 million. I have no clue where you got your numbers my friend. 25,670,000.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkhorserider

That's not even the population of Dallas?

Texas is more like 25 million.

The 333,000 number is correct, but that is less than 1.5%, not 50%.

Yeah I was just about to post the same, that Texas population is not 601,723
. Do people understand how big Texas is? Spain is almost as big as Texas.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

You are right on - Puerto Rico instead of Texas lol. In other words - bring in more takers than givers. There you go you have the right idea just like our newly elected administrations. Let's hurry up and get it over with, just destroy this country right now - let's put everyone we can on the government teat and suck out every drop of wealth out of anyone that work hard for their way of like.

Go for it - push them tax paying Texans out of America and bring in a state of distress LOL. The way you people think just kills me lmao.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

reply to post by fictitious

but don't expect anything given to you by the US government.

...oh, and watch out for the nukes

We don't want it. Sadly, according to the internet...70% of illegals are on welfare. That doesn't account for real Texas citizens. Like I said though, most illegals I know, have jobs, don't use welfare etc; however, according to the studies I read online, most welfare users in Texas are illegals, so numbers are skewed. Our economy is great. There are jobs to go around. I actually quit mine to "figure out my life". We have that luxury here. Most states do not.

edit on 13-11-2012 by fictitious because: spelling

ETA: Purple...I don't know where you got your number to begin with..saying only thousands live in Texas, so as far as I'm concerned.....you don't know what you are talking about whatsoever. I'm guessing you are from the East Coast and are against owning guns too, huh? Maybe someone who signed the petition to strip rights from those who signed the secession petition.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
This petition crap is a non-issue, it's all symbolic.

It's happened before after elections.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join