It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As Expected, Obama to Spend More Time "Campaigning" Than Negotiating Budget

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
As Obama wraps up his meeting with Labor leaders today (for all of an hour), it looks like he's going to do exactly what I expected.

According to participants, White House aides said the president intends to hold campaign-style events across the country after Thanksgiving to drum up support for his proposed solution to the fiscal cliff. It would build upon more than 100 rallies organized by labor unions last week urging members of Congress to avoid cuts to entitlement programs.

When Obama couldn't stand the heat of the last discussions, he hit the campaign trail and appealed to the people. This time he's going to start by appealing to the people and staying as far away as possible from Washington as the debate over the fiscal cliff begins. Yes, expect him to lead from behind.

WASHINGTON — Labor leaders said Tuesday that President Barack Obama remains committed to preserving tax cuts for middle class families and ensuring the wealthy pay more in taxes, outlining plans for a public campaign to pressure Republican lawmakers.

So, rather than getting input from Labor leaders, it looks like Obama spent most of his time telling them about his own plan.

During Tuesday’s meeting, participants said the president reiterated his contention that the wealthy should pay more in taxes and that his views were vindicated by the election. They said the president showed no willingness to extend the Bush era tax cuts for the wealthy. “He’s standing firm on taxes, on the issue of raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans,” said Neera Tanden, president of the Center for American Progress.

I'll be curious to see if there's any news of substance that comes out of Obama's meeting tomorrow with business leaders.

Obama meets Wednesday with a dozen CEOs from companies such as General Electric, Walmart, Ford and Chevron. Some of the participants are involved with The Campaign to Fix the Debt, which has pushed for a long-term plan to fix the nation’s debt and deficits.

Last, but not least, Obama will meet with leaders of Congress on Friday to make it looks like he's involved with budget talks.....before he heads off to Myanmar and Cambodia to escape any ongoing discussions and before Thanksgiving begins.

www.washingtonpost.com... 2d69-11e2-b631-2aad9d9c73ac_story.html

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Yeah! Let's blame Obama!!
When it's obviously the Republicans are the ones who are acting like kids and won't compromise. There's no negotiating with republicans. The only thing he can do is get more people to support his compromise, and yes, spending cuts and increasing taxes is a compromise....Republicans are demanding only spending cuts, and refuse to touch military spending, which is the largest expenditure of the US government.
But no, let's blame Obama for everything.....

Have you heard the republicans in congress talk? I'd be getting as far away from them as I possibly could too.

edit on 13-11-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-11-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Well...

With those pledges from Grover Nordquist the GOP/Republicans signed about taxes, I don't see this being an easy compromise.

It's time for both sides to put on their big boy pants, roll up their sleeves and get something done.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This working together concept isn't optional or a matter of convenience. The people Obama needs to be working with and selling something to, sit on the House side of Capital Hill and the side legally charged with producing the initial budgetary bills on pretty much anything.

I thought the perpetual campaign was going to stop after winning with no re-election possible. *I* don't need to be sold on a compromise and the opinion of America in general is not relevant here unless we actually want to play like more than a small % of America can even describe the broadest outline of the budget being fought over in an accurate way.

This is NOT the time for games and he's apparently playing them again right out the gate. This thing crashes January 2nd and *NO ONE* is going to care which side did what or how when it does. If they don't find a compromise to a BAD deal that was supposed to have been solved by that grand budget super-committee who just flat gave up entirely, then a big friggen crash is coming very soon and it's not theory. It's statutory and required as it'll happen by the very law they need to sit down and FIX.

edit on 13-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Can we really try to get away from the Republican vs Democrat crap? The point is the president is not present while debates are going on, regardless of who's in office, blue/red. That is not the quality of leader the country needs right now, we need someone who is going to see things through to the end

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mrdeadfolx

Normal Americans absolutely need to....and it's survival now. Economic and societal. I'm laying odds neither side in actual power where the decisions are made has the least interest in putting politics aside though. It's the core of what brought us to this edge of the Abyss, IMO. We'll see by New Years Eve. The statutes kick in then and what they kick and cut by fully automated process will be brutal enough to hurt every last one of us to some degree.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
IMHO, Obama is being very smart here. He is sending a message to the GOP - "I'm going to get the people on my side, so if you don't play ball, and you let the tax cuts for the middle class expire, you are going to have some people angry with you - and they will remember this come mid-term elections."

Yes, he's playing them, but this is what you have to do in politics. He has to, or they will keep playing the obstructionist game. The masses are going to go along with the rich paying more taxes. Because they've seen how the jobs just haven't poured in with the rich getting all those Bush tax cuts. I, for one, am glad to see Obama play some hardball now.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Hilarious...now leaving the washington bubble is a horrible thing...so is involving real live Americans? None of thier business??

Bottom line...the GOP have shown without a doubt that they only care about elections, so Pres. Obama is speaking to the only people that the GOP bubble will listen to...voters.

And all of sudden it is what? Not fair to talk to the American people? He is supposed to stay inside the Washington bubble like a good politician?

What an absolutely idiotic premise. Good luck with that...Whining and throwing a tantrum that the President is actually making his case to THE PEOPLE....boo hoo for the GOP.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The Potus met with unions today "so called labor leaders" and I have a newsflash there was a reason the congress was divided in to the House and Senate and government with the legislative, executive and judicial.

The objective was to keep power in check and sorry to burst some peoples bubbles here but it is not the job of the GOP in the house to get on their knees to asinine ideology.

As far as the left and the current potus is concerned make the rich pay more that is the extent of their budget problems.

They are not going to cut federal spending one dime.TAX and SPEND!

Raise the rates to over 40 percent all the while half of Ameirca has zero tax liability, but hey there is that so called fair share in action.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
IMHO, Obama is being very smart here. He is sending a message to the GOP - "I'm going to get the people on my side, so if you don't play ball, and you let the tax cuts for the middle class expire, you are going to have some people angry with you - and they will remember this come mid-term elections."

Near 70% of Americans polled said they want the tax cuts for the rich to expire.

40% of REPUBLICANS polled on election day said they want the tax cuts for the rich to expire.

The OMB issued a historical study that said that letting the tax cuts expire would not effect job growth or economic growth AT ALL.

How many different ways do the GOP have to hear it? The American people are on the Presidents side. The GOp will cave or they will lose the house in 2014 and slip entirely into obselecense.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
it is not the job of the GOP in the house to get on their knees to asinine ideology.

No...they have made it clear that position is reserved for the Koch brothers and thier friends.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

That's funny I was never asked about letting tax cuts expire, and neither were millions of other Americans.

And:

Two of three Democrats think it is a good idea, and most independents (55 percent) agree. Most Republicans (57 percent) think it is a bad idea.

57 % of Republicans think it is a bad idea so lets put that in to perspective that 52% are for making those who are paying taxes for those who are not paying in taxes.

Pretty damn twisted.
www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
As Obama wraps up his meeting with Labor leaders today (for all of an hour), it looks like he's going to do exactly what I expected.

BTW - Tomorrow he meets with the CEOs of America's biggest companies...Friday he meets with the GOP...then Thanksgiving...then he will take his message to the People and turn the screws on the Idiots leading the House who think a double-dip recession is a good idea.

You seemed confused there for a moment...like he was leaving town tomorrow and was meeting only with Labor.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

it is not the job of the GOP in the house to get on their knees to asinine ideology.

No...they have made it clear that position is reserved for the Koch brothers and thier friends.

More hyperbole so what does that have to do with the topic?

The Campaign of lies is over, and just now the lies continue.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Please somebody explain to me.

Why is it that if I want to keep my money it is called greed.
When someone else wants my money, they say they are entitled to it.

Am I allowed to keep my computer or must I give it to someone who doesn't have one?
Am I allowed to keep my car or must I give it to someone who doesn't have one?
Am I allowed to keep my house or must I give it to someone who doesn't have one.
Am I allowed to keep my job or must I give it to someone who doesn't have one?
Am I allowed to keep my money or must I give it to someone who will not work?

I am so confused.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Nite_wing

Don't be it is obvious

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

Benjamin Franklin

They believe that the 1% exists to service the majority they claim to be about preserving minority rights,and equal rights, but thats window dressing on their true face.

They are nothing but a bunch of FASCISTS,.
edit on 13-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Two of three Democrats think it is a good idea, and most independents (55 percent) agree. Most Republicans (57 percent) think it is a bad idea.

Thanks Neo...I had said that 40% of Republicans wanted the tax breaks for the wealthy to expire, when in fact as you point out it is 43% of Republicans who agree with the President. If 2 in 3 Democrats want it to expire and 55% of independants want it to expire and virtually half of the Republicans want it to expire, if the Pesident talked about it at every one of his 100's of campaign stops leading up to the election and Mitt Romney opposed letting it expire...and Mitt Romney loses...and even half the people who voted for Romney STILL want the tax breaks for the wealthy to expire...what is the confusion?
edit on 13-11-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

reply to post by Nite_wing

Don't be it is obvious

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

Benjamin Franklin

No...it was some no - name author in the 60's that said it. Then it was spam emailed in 2000 during the elections and attributed to a french philosopher and most recently recycled and tagged on B Franklin.

Just a heads-up...the truth always matters...if you can't look it up yourselves, let me know and I can do the fact finding for you...used to it by now.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Thanks Neo...I had said that 40% of Republicans wanted the tax breaks for the wealthy to expire, when in fact as you point out it is 43% of Republicans who agree with the President. If 2 in 3 Democrats want it to expire and 55% of independants want it to expire and virtually half of the Republicans want it to expire, if the Pesident talked about it at every one of his 100's of campaign stops leading up to the election and Mitt Romney opposed letting it expire...and Mitt Romney loses...and even half the people who voted for Romney STILL want the tax breaks for the wealthy to expire...what is the confusion?

Mean the Neocons in the Republican party don't ya?

You know those RINOS who should just go join the Democratic party.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

No...it was some no - name author in the 60's that said it. Then it was spam emailed in 2000 during the elections and attributed to a french philosopher and most recently recycled and tagged on B Franklin. Just a heads-up...the truth always matters...if you can't look it up yourselves, let me know and I can do the fact finding for you...used to it by now.

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.” ― Benjamin Franklin

That really was hilarious real easy to go find out who says what when all they have to do is a 2 second google search.

Someone sitting there telling me Franklin did not say that ?

Really?

Go tell the internets "they got it wrong".

For instance.
www.goodreads.com...

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join