It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Chinese Drone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Anyone know if this is a new Chinese drone that has been spotted? seems to be a copy or very similar to the reaper?

www.zerohedge.com... ry-drone
edit on 13-11-2012 by solidshot because: Fail

Link fails for some reason?

www.zerohedge.com...
edit on 13-11-2012 by solidshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Your link didn't go to the UAV, but here are two that have been unveiled recently. One was unveiled in 2010, and looks like a small scale Global Hawk, called the WJ-600. The other is the one I think you're talking about, called the Pterodactyl.

www.flightglobal.com...

The Pterodactyl has a similar payload to the MQ-1 Predator, is slightly faster, but has a lower max altitude, and only half the endurance as a Predator.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

For some reason the first link failed, the second underneath does go to the page i think?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hmm,has some spy given them the same plans I wonder?
Who could that be?
Has anyone done anything similar in the past-if so maybe its the same people..

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Why would the Chinese need a spy? they have already reputedly hacked and gained access to the data on most government site and those belonging to military and tech companies iirc?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

It's the same UAV. The Chinese call it the Yi long, the western name is the Pterodactyl. It's not quite a Predator, but it's very close to a Predator.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Very odd you should post this as I was looking at this yesterday

Predator drone to debut at air show

But is this a US one? (I don't know the markings)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

That's the Pterodactyl, the Chinese UAV in question.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The Chinese have a way of meticulously copying western aircraft design (at least superficially) and then publishing snapshots of their "new" aircraft, a la the F-60.

Political posturing, I say.

Note the skewed planform alignment amongst other things. I have a hard time believing the Chinese truly have a grasp on the fundamentals of VLO, but who knows.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I think the general estimate is that China is about two generations behind (in the 80's) in terms of VLO tech, but I imagine the pace they have advanced over the past 10 years or so would reduce that gap a fair bit. Also, bear in mind that the Chinese have created a lot of advanced-looking aircraft such as the J-20 but still haven't been able to bring them into production despite years of development (they can't get the engines on the J-20 right for instance).

With regards to the new drone, it might resemble the MQ-9 Reaper but its pretty easy to create a small, long endurance platform like that. The difficulty is packing it with useful sensors and them being able to reliably control it from a significant distance.

top topics

join