It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When there was a real threat to destroy the pyramids

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Few people now are aware that the pyramids, Egypt's Old Kingdom treasures were under threat of being dismantled for building materials in the 1840's

Pasha Muhammed Ali

The plan was first initiated by Muhammed Ali an Albanian born adventurer who had become the Viceroy of Egypt under the weak control of the Ottoman Empire. He was a man of energy and determined to modernize Egypt - for he had the long term plan to defeat the Ottoman empire, one of his plans was was

.... the construction of barrages (dams) that regulated the flow of the Nile River for irrigation. Had the friendship between Linant and Muhammad 'Ali not been so close and long-lived, historians might be skeptical of the engineer's account of the viceroy's wish to have the pyramids dismantled. Although Linant does not provide the exact date of the pyramid saga in his Mémoires, he notes that Muhammad 'Ali had already decided to build barrages on the Lower Nile. This time probably corresponds to late 1833, when laborers began working at a barrage site in the delta north of Cairo. The viceroy expressed his desire to speed barrage construction by dismantling the pyramids to provide a large supply of pre-cut blocks.

The plan to dismantle the Giza pyramids

Louis Maurice Adolphe Linant de Bellefonds

edit on 13/11/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I am not surprised "we" would have attempted this.

Silly humans.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
look you lot....the muslims have never intended on destroying the pyramids...that is complete and utter BS

without education...you will fall for this propaganda...

muslims were against "idol" worship.....and can be blamed for destroying idols used to worship.

but they cannot be blamed for defacing tombs

when they realised the pyramids are tombs they stayed away....like they did with ALL of the surrounding tombs, and other tombs throughout egypt, no matter how much gold was in it.

with the christian cults how ever...that was another story

edit on 13-11-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Who took the white polished outer casement stones then, surly the Christians did not want those!

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LUXUS

Who took the white polished outer casement stones then, surly the Christians did not want those!

the casing stones fell due to earthquakes...and were reused

by, ancients, romans, persians (babylon), greeks, arabs, ottamans,

but lets pin the blame on the Moslamics lolol

BTW i rekon....you dont know christianty untill you learn about the egyptian copts...these lot were around before jesus ffs

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
ThePharaoh seems to have forgotten about Abū Jaʿfar Abdullāh al-Māʾmūn ibn Harūn, the Caliph who tunneled into Khufu's tomb

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

hanslune

menkaures and khufus tunnels were made...BEFORE they realised they were tombs

they were hunting gold

but since al-mamun...untill napoleon....noone came near a tomb...they were scared of the curses

BTW - he wasnt doing it as a muslim...he was doing it as a caliph...who had to feed 1000s of people

peace

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

Oh? Give us this time line when did they realize that? I love how you make stuff up. You are forgetting that the view that the pyramids were tombs was well known in the ancient world, its only recently that fringe theories have arisen

they were hunting gold

Yep

but since al-mamun...untill napoleon....noone came near a tomb...they were scared of the curses

Depending on which sect and which era Muslim's were against the use of marked tombs, a tradition followed by many but not all Arabian Muslims

Muslim destroyed a great number of tombs in other nations they conquered, especially if the people tend to treat them as sacred. You can look at the destruction of the Jannat al-Baqi' Cemetery and the destruction of the tombs of Muhammed's relatives by the Wahabi as a good example.

BTW - he wasnt doing it as a muslim...he was doing it as a caliph...who had to feed 1000s of people

The Caliph is the head of the Muslim state, you don't get to turn being Muslim and devotion to Islam on and off as you see fit, lol

edit on 13/11/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
God don't tell me he is an Afrocentric Muslim....it just don't get better!

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Oh? Give us this time line when did they realize that? I love how you make stuff up. You are forgetting that the view that the pyramids were tombs was well known in the ancient world, its only recently that fringe theories have arisen

hanslune....every one of those invading forces...had to wonder/research/understand the pyramids for themselves

do you think there was a local cult that showed invaders round, like with herodutus

they didnt know they were tombs...especially if they are surrounded by tombs that look completely different

BTW - im sure your educated in the matter

you tell me why the caliphs and mamluks....stopped tunneling khufus pyramid
how many stories of them believing in curses and grounding tools

the strength they had in the area, i know that they had the potential to completely destroy egypts temples and tombs.... but they didnt

they did however..adopt certain sites for their own
the way they saw it...it was all by one same god anyway...

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by LUXUS
God don't tell me he is an Afrocentric Muslim....it just don't get better!

hahahaaaaaa your funny.....boyy that made me laugh

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

WOW! How much different would the Middle East be today if that had happened? Imagine Egypt terraformed and irrigated, and existing as the first super power instead of the West?

I can't believe this thread turned so quickly into Muslm v. Christianity. Give it a rest, who gives a crap? The cool thing is that the pyramids exist as an ancient icon, but as such, they have surely withstood many plots to destroy them, or to dismantle and re-use them. That is a pretty cool thing. I wonder what they might find if they started dismantling them? Jimmy Hoffa? No, that's the Hoover Dam.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Then why do we see in the news today that the muslims want the Sphynx and pyramids torn down?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wirefly
Then why do we see in the news today that the muslims want the Sphynx and pyramids torn down?

Chances are the reply you get will be the NTS argument that religious people use to distance themselves from anyone doing anything bad.
"Oh, they arent REAL Muslims. No true Muslim would do that."

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

hanslune....every one of those invading forces...had to wonder/research/understand the pyramids for themselves

You are forgetting that the Arab invaders captured large areas formerly owned by the Byzantine Greek speaking empire and guess what those dudes had? Yep pretty much that entire library of the ancient Greeks which in time was translated into Arabic. They knew about the pyramids from the writings of both the Greek and Roman literature which they obtained....which would later fuel a scientific surge in the Muslim world

do you think there was a local cult that showed invaders round, like with herodutus

They were literate and READ what Herodotus wrote

you tell me why the caliphs and mamluks....stopped tunneling khufus pyramid
how many stories of them believing in curses and grounding tools

Nope why don't you link to these stories - show me I'm wrong in thinking you made them up, I'd be happy to say I'am sorry

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by wirefly

Chances are the reply you get will be the NTS argument that religious people use to distance themselves from anyone doing anything bad.
"Oh, they arent REAL Muslims. No true Muslim would do that."

Yeah the classic , 'There are no true Scotsmen' however never tar a larger society by the actions of the small minority

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by wirefly

Why are they MUSLIMS and not just members of a community/city/village? Muslims are all over the world yet for some reason they are one, yet when a Christian does something from city it doesn't count for all.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by chishuppu
reply to post by wirefly

Why are they MUSLIMS and not just members of a community/city/village? Muslims are all over the world yet for some reason they are one, yet when a Christian does something from city it doesn't count for all.

When I lived in the ME their press often took the same view; the actions of one western government or person reflected on all western/christian society

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

really? that is strange because they know the color of their enemy. In Africa, they call the enemy by their color, so do Latinos and everybody who got the Jesus is good then invasion/colonize treatment, but I will take your word for it.

ME is big my friend, most people state the country, what part of ME where you?
edit on 14-11-2012 by chishuppu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by chishuppu

really? that is strange because they know the color of their enemy. In Africa, they call the enemy by their color, so do Latinos and everybody who got the Jesus is good then invasion/colonize treatment, but I will take your word for it.

ME is big my friend, most people state the country, what part of ME where you?

Howdy

I worked in all the nations except Yemen and Iraq, but spent most of my time in UAE, Saudi and Bahrain, are you out that way too?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join