It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I find this sick and dont like where it is heading (ohio woman/idiot sign)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
LOL this thread is such a liberal fail.

She got what she deserved. That's the end of this tale.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasonicFantom
LOL this thread is such a liberal fail.

She got what she deserved. That's the end of this tale.

I believe the OP should have this punishment done, for even posting this garbage.

no offence op, but there are worse punishments than standing around with a sign.

Just saying.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
If you commit a crime, regardless of what it is, you should lose your rights proportionately to what the crime was. A murderer or child molester for example should lose all rights and be locked up in a cell never to be even thought about again. Basic food, water and a bed is more than they deserve.

With a crime like this which IS minor in comparison, the consequences could have been much worse. She could have got so used to driving on the pavement without obstacles that one day she wouldn't notice the child run across in front of her until she looked in her rear view mirror. Rather a couple of hours of humiliation than two families destroyed and a lifetime of regret.

Just my opinion of course.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Probably more effective than any other punishment/lesson in life, is humility -- to be humbled. The OP argues as if it is cruel and unjust to use humility as a form of punishment compared to a jail sentence. So I ask, what is it specifically that makes you feel a jail sentence is better effective and justified compared to the sort of punishment the woman received?

Have you even thought it through, or are you just looking for some attention?

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

CORRECT she shouldn't have to have the sign they should have charged her with dangerous driving and sent her to prison there is that better!!!!

edit on 14-11-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I don't see any dangerous driving in the video. Just a smart-ass acting like a smart-ass.

I know smart-asses...I've been one all my life. Acting outside the norm has own its benefits and
consequences. On of them is being treated like a smart-ass when caught red-handed.

Punishment fits the crime pretty much I'd say...

I you don't like the judge's ruling....elect another one next term.

edit on 14-11-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Cruel and unusual punishment was in regard to the harsh sentencing for minor infractions brought to bare against the soldiery and sometimes citizenry of the pre-American British colonies, especially in the more religious Northern colonies.

For instance, those caught stealing a loaf of bread from the baker could be thrown in the public stockade for days for everyone to see their pain and hear their screams. They would die of thirst or from the weather unless the local public took pity on them and brought them food, water, and clothing. Public floggings, (definitely disfiguring and sometimes till death) were a common sentence for more dangerous offenses. Then there's tar and feathering, quartering, and I'm forgetting a few other forms of bizarre inhumane treatment that didn't fit the nature of the crime.

Given the context of what our forefathers meant by "cruel and unusual punishment", your thread tries to connect the sentencing of a woman holding a sign on the street displaying that she is an idiot for one hour with being sentenced to a public beating/flogging while naked and thrown in the stockade for days without food, water, or clothing.

If you are trying to connect the two, as similar in context, then what shall we make of those people wearing orange jumpsuits (with "county inmate" printed on their backs) walking around on the side of the road picking up trash all day? I'm pretty sure they aren't part of a local charity organisation or clean-up action committee. They even have cute color coated orange trashbags that match their clothing!...

The question is, does the punishment fit the crime? Lets see, she repeatedly and recklessly showed total disregard not only for the law but for public safety. Her license should have been revoked. She should have had to spend time in jail in one of those cozy orange jumpsuits. Then instead of picking up trash on the side of the highway she could hold up her idiot sign all day long in the cold.

All things considered, she got off light. Very light...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

You know what, you're right. A sign saying she's an idiot is definitely a harsh punishment for repeatedly driving on a side walk with the chance of potentially running over someone. She should have gotten a gold star >.>

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I'm from Cleveland and this woman deserved this punishment and according to neighborhood locals, this was not the first time she drove around a bus and onto the sidewalk. She just got caught this time....

The bus was unloading a disabled student and this woman works in the admin office for the Cleveland State University Police Department. Pathetic!!

She spends her hour smoking, listening to music and texting.... and the Judge is furious with her flippant behavior as were most of the locals including the left leaning Cleveland Plain dealer.

She should be thankful that she did not kill or injure anyone during this selfish act of impatience.

She should be wearing that sign like a two sided sandwich board ...

We need more judges to render decisions like this because clearly people simply don't care and are no longer afraid of the consequences of their actions. Fortunately, this woman's actions and her sentence will forever be preserved in the realm of YouTube.

Bravo to Judge Pinkey Carr....

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
To the naysayers...

I bet you that this was a deal that she accepted to avoid charges... and if not oh well.. the Judge gave her community service....

The Judge did not just want to punish her... he wanted to teach her a lesson... I'm sure she will think twice before doing something so totally and completely idiotic...

What is this woman brain damaged?

The judge is well within his legal powers to offer an unorthodox form of community service as an alternative to standard fines and jail time.. or in addition to..

Plus to be honest... I cannot honestly feel any sort of compassion for anyone that potentially endangered the lives of children..
edit on 14-11-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Has anyone seen the video of this woman actually committing the crime. The bus driver was ready and the police were waiting for her. Caught and Punished!!! Justice

Video

edit on 14-11-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

The punishment hardly fits the crime she should have had to stand out there in just shorts and a tank top...she could have killed a kid and you think that she isn't deserving of this and more? I pray you don't have kids if you do, I pray some intervention soon!

show me one comment I made saying she should not be punished for what she did

Thats what I thought

I pray you don't have kids if you do, I pray some intervention soon!

How very ignorant of you.

now because I have an opinion that someones rights were violated that makes me a bad parent?

you are pretty screwed in the head

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by obnoxiouschick

haha well at least I'm not the only one

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
reply to post by obnoxiouschick

haha well at least I'm not the only one

Well I think you approached the topic a certain way and received the undesired response.
I see your argument very clearly now.
I like to be very clear on my understanding of an issue, so when you cited that public humiliation violates the 8th amendment I researched it.
Yes it clearly states that public humiliation is unconstitutional.
But the lack of clarity gives leeway to judges.
The ACLU has argued on behave of defendants in some cases.

So had I been you ... I would've phrased the OP more focused on society slipping backward.
Regardless of the situations presented in this case we shouldn't be setting a precedent that could lead to worse punishments being meted out and encouraged by society's mob rule mentality.

She should've been made to do something productive that would've benefited the children she endangered. Community service cleaning the kids toilets at their school for 1 month would've been better.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Car cuts off school bus causing it to crash off overpass:
www.mysanantonio.com...

Too many people drive recklessly around school buses having witnessed it myself many times. This is too dangerous a thing to allow and I think the sentence sends a strong message to others to not copy her behavior.

While I can see your point OP, imo the drug laws of the US are already cruel and unusual punishment considering it's a victimless crime. This woman actually deserves worse than this - her license should be permanently suspended. She has no remorse and has done this on multiple occasions,

She got off too easy though I agree judges need to be monitored for this kind of behavior so they don't abuse their power.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join