It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I find this sick and dont like where it is heading (ohio woman/idiot sign)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I agree with everyone who says this is not harsh enough punishment. Not sure exactly what a fitting punishment would be though. If her license is revoked she will likely still drive. I have seen many people with suspended or revoked licenses still drive a vehicle so I dont think that would have any effect on her.

In regards to the people using the cruel and unusual punishment line and saying this is humiliating needs to understand that any punishment can be considered humiliating. If I go to jail, I know I will feel humiliated. Does that mean I should get a free pass because of how the punishment will make me feel? No it sure does not. Some people need a little humiliation in their life to bring them back down to earth.

Poor woman has to stand and hold a sign. You watch I bet she will claim some kind of disability saying she cant stand that long and end up collecting disability payments.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
In my opinion, she should have had to hold a sign for more than two hours. She CHOSE this punishment instead of fines, jail time, longer license suspension, etc. The 8th has no play here. She doesn't have to hold that sign DUH. Op should be holding a sign...

On another note that I never understood, what about the fact that a person making ten dollars an hour pays the same fine for lets say speeding, as a person making 300,000 a year salary? How the hell is that fair? Lets face it, our laws are unconstitutional in many of its forms.
PEACE

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
As the proverb says: you reap what you sow!

More of the same justice might make some people think. Not all.....

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

Pretty sad when you are defending a multiple offender who very easily could have killed anyone on the sidewalk, not just kids. If you can't wait for the bus. Pretty simple answer to follow the rules to prevent a tragedy , leave 10 or 15 minutes earlier.
I would have made her wear the sign for a week and revoked her license privileged,along with a hefty fine.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel

I saw on another thread that many people thought this was grand but I find it just plain sickening.

So why not add your thoughts and comments to that thread? Why the need to create a new thread? Crap like this in my opinion just clogs this site up anymore, multiple threads covering the same exact topics. End of rant I guess.... But in my opinion she deserves any punishment the judge serves and I think she should have gotten more to be honest. One thing I personally don't tolerate is ignorant people that don't know how to follow the simplest rules of the road.

because this thread is about violating her constitutional rights and not just about what happened.

unlike many of the post where people just post the sames news article I made a topic about an aspect that I felt had deeper problems than what lies on the surface

but yeah keep being a tool and move on

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by obnoxiouschick

Humiliation is the abasement of pride, which creates mortification or leads to a state of being humbled or reduced to lowliness or submission. It can be brought about through bullying, intimidation, physical or mental mistreatment or trickery, or by embarrassment if a person is revealed to have committed a socially or legally unacceptable act. Whereas humility can be sought alone as a means to de-emphasise the ego, humiliation must involve other person(s), though not necessarily directly or willingly. Acting to humiliate yourself may be linked to a personal belief (as with mortification of the flesh, with some religions), or it can be part of erotic humiliation where the belittling activity provides emotional and/or sexual arousal or heightened sensation.

Humiliation is currently an active research topic, and is now seen as an important - and complex - core dynamic in human relationships, having implications at intrapersonal, interpersonal, institutional and international levels.[1]

You have not made any point that refutes the point I am making. You are offering a perspective that works for your arguement

there was no real point being made so I ignored it

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger

Pretty sad when you are defending a multiple offender who very easily could have killed anyone on the sidewalk, not just kids. If you can't wait for the bus. Pretty simple answer to follow the rules to prevent a tragedy , leave 10 or 15 minutes earlier.
I would have made her wear the sign for a week and revoked her license privileged,along with a hefty fine.

can you read?

I am not defending her I am appalled at the behavior of the judge

I have stated multiple times that she should be charged in accordance to the law for her crimes. They have set standards in place with what the laws broken should be sentence with.

point blank public humiliation was outlawed by the constitution.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dharma04
In my opinion, she should have had to hold a sign for more than two hours. She CHOSE this punishment instead of fines, jail time, longer license suspension, etc. The 8th has no play here. She doesn't have to hold that sign DUH. Op should be holding a sign...

On another note that I never understood, what about the fact that a person making ten dollars an hour pays the same fine for lets say speeding, as a person making 300,000 a year salary? How the hell is that fair? Lets face it, our laws are unconstitutional in many of its forms.
PEACE

how does the 8th hold no play here?

maybe ya'll on this site that cannot read and sit here and cheer on blatant violations of the constitution should be holding signs eh?

In recent times, judicial use of public humiliation punishment has largely fallen out of favor since the practice is now considered cruel and unusual punishment, which is outlawed in the United States Constitution.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

She didn't just have one bad decision. She had been doing this the whole year, so I don't understand why you feel sorry for her.

I think public humiliation is an effective punishment. The story says she didn't have any remorse in court, so I feel like the smug woman needed to be knocked off her high-horse. You could lock her up or make her pay fines, but that's a waste. I think public service would be a fitting punishment because it could help someone, but this woman got what she deserved imo.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I saw the judge this morning on the news and her direct quote was "if she had shown any sense of remorse she would have a different sentence today."

Get over yourself OP this punishment was perfect and no rights were violated.

Victim mentality sucks..

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB

She didn't just have one bad decision. She had been doing this the whole year, so I don't understand why you feel sorry for her.

I think public humiliation is an effective punishment. The story says she didn't have any remorse in court, so I feel like the smug woman needed to be knocked off her high-horse. You could lock her up or make her pay fines, but that's a waste. I think public service would be a fitting punishment because it could help someone, but this woman got what she deserved imo.

Yeah I didnt realize until after that I had misread the article

that isnt my point here though I dont feel sorry for her and dont really care about what she did

What I care about is the fact that public humiliation is considered cruel and unusual punishment and therefore the judge violated her rights.

I feel this is an agenda to deteriorate more of our rights by getting public opinion to back public humiliation and start working away at our right to be free of cruel and unusual punishment

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuch4another
I saw the judge this morning on the news and her direct quote was "if she had shown any sense of remorse she would have a different sentence today."

Get over yourself OP this punishment was perfect and no rights were violated.

Victim mentality sucks..

Why would this be on the news if there was not a reason? They are trying to work away at the 8th amendment now which is my point.

I dont care about this woman, I dont not care whether she was imprisoned, I wouldnt care if she flat out didnt get any sentence

the fact of the matter is that using public humiliation as punishment was outlawed and there is an agenda behind this little ruling because we all know the gov likes to get public opinion to help loosen their constitutional chains whenever the opportunity arises

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin

Originally posted by mikellmikell
Some people are thick as a brick and I think the judge may have noticed that. Probably won't pass a buss again. treating criminals nicey nice has gotten us into this mess she got punnishment her parents couldn't give her. Hope more judges act like the parents they took the rights away from

Oh yes imprisonment is nicey nice is it?

go try it out and dare say something like that again? I'm sure after big bubba is done with you you will be singing a different tune in a different tone.

This is a blatant violation of the constitution and here you are glorifying the larger attempts to destroy the foundation of this country

Is it a violation of the constitution? What about making people pick up litter if they can't pay a fine. Many look embarrassed especially if you recognize them, but they usually don't repeat the minor offence that got them there.

Or like myself, years ago I was driving with no insurance as I could not afford it and was trying to go to college. The Judge sentenced me to 6 Months work in the City Library...which I think was perfectly fair.

I see where you are going, what if they decide on public dunking or branding a slur on you...I am not sure where the law leaves room.
edit on 13-11-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
How about a charge of reckless endangerment and endangering a child for every child getting off of the bus. Full penalties and jail time for each offense. That would have been appropriate.
She got off light.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by quantumgirl11
the police make drunk people clean up their own piss at night in busy town centers - sometimes humiliation is the only thing to make someone realize how idiotic they are. The woman is not being degraded - maybe if she was forced to strip, but she has headphones, a warm jacket and hopefully she is realizing the error of her ways, since multiple parents and court appearances have not.

See that makes sense though because they would have to have a hazmat (SP?) crew come clean up the drunks biohazard which would be expensive.

It is not humiliating in the sense that they put it there they can clean it because they arent going to catch a disease from touching it. And they arent being put on display for millions to see wearing degrading signs

The example is not even in the same ballpark try again

What city do you know where a woman can be seen by millions at one street corner in an hour? You want to get mad at the fact that now "millions" of people have been "forced" to see this woman's humiliation how about going after the ones who published it in the first place? Aren't you just as guilty for doing this because I hadn't even heard about this story until I saw your thread.

that isnt my point here though

Funny, almost every other post or response you have relishes in pointing out that poster's inability to read or "lack basic reading comprehension" but how dare members point out your own failures of active reading.
edit on 11/13/2012 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
forcing someone to do community service is a way of giving back to the community and the tax payers and is not public humiliation.

forcing someone to stand around in public wearing a sign that says idiot is blatantly meant to be humiliating

what dont ya'll get about that?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Why is telling the truth considered humiliating?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

What I care about is the fact that public humiliation is considered cruel and unusual punishment and therefore the judge violated her rights.

Public humiliation is not prohibited by the Eighth Amendment. It is not mentioned.

cruel and unusual punishment n. governmental penalties against convicted criminal defendants which are barbaric, involve torture and/or shock the public morality. They are specifically prohibited under the Eighth Amendment to the U. S. Constitution. However, nowhere are they specifically defined. Tortures like the rack (stretching the body inch by inch) or the thumbscrew, dismemberment, breaking bones, maiming, actions involving deep or long-lasting pain are all banned. But solitary confinement, enforced silence, necessary force to prevent injury to fellow prisoners or guards, psychological humiliation, and bad food are generally allowed. In short, there is a large gray area, in which "cruel and unusual" is definitely subjective based on individual sensitivities and moral outlook.

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

Nothing barbaric here. No torture. I'm not shocked, nor are many others in this thread.
Humiliation is fair.

edit on 11/13/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MonkeyFishFrog

Originally posted by quantumgirl11
the police make drunk people clean up their own piss at night in busy town centers - sometimes humiliation is the only thing to make someone realize how idiotic they are. The woman is not being degraded - maybe if she was forced to strip, but she has headphones, a warm jacket and hopefully she is realizing the error of her ways, since multiple parents and court appearances have not.

See that makes sense though because they would have to have a hazmat (SP?) crew come clean up the drunks biohazard which would be expensive.

It is not humiliating in the sense that they put it there they can clean it because they arent going to catch a disease from touching it. And they arent being put on display for millions to see wearing degrading signs

The example is not even in the same ballpark try again

What city do you know where a woman can be seen by millions at one street corner in an hour? You want to get mad at the fact that now "millions" of people have been "forced" to see this woman's humiliation how about going after the ones who published it in the first place? Aren't you just as guilty for doing this because I hadn't even heard about this story until I saw your thread.

that isnt my point here though

Funny, almost every other post or response points out that poster's inability to read or "lack basic reading comprehension" but how dare members point out your own failures of active reading.
edit on 11/13/2012 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

the reason I said millions is because hey millions have seen video of this woman doing just that.

I state that these people lack basic ability to read because they obviously have misread and misinterpreted what I have stated in their rush to be a tool and conform to bashing me for offering an opinion.

oh and the complete inability to distinguish the point I created this discussion about with (and this is beyond me) thinking that I am defending this woman. I am in fact defending the constitution which states that cruel and unusual punishment is illegal in which use of public humiliation was outlawed because it is viewed as cruel an unusual.

tell me how is forcing someone to wear a sign that says idiot not meant to be humiliating? please explain that if you want to be such a smartass

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Should we start tattooing this kind of crap on peoples heads because they made one single bad judgement call? Yes it was stupid but to do this to an individual just because they did something stupid is wrong

This woman did not make a single bad judgement call, she had done this act multiple times and was finally caught.

I believe that she got off easy. Hopefully she'll learn that the world does not revolve around her. Imagine, the audacity of that school bus interupting her schedule.

I agree. She obviously is aware of the time the bus stops. She could have left her home earlier or a minute or two later. What she did was dangerous and selfish. Should have lost her license for a longer period of time. She made a conscious choice to do the wrong thing, over and over. Accept the consequences....

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join