It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Papa John layoffs….Good!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I feel like venting...

90% of the voters are uninformed and don’t care to be it’s simple human nature!!! Hype rules humanity.
If you think Papa John’s is the only company that going to do this you’re sadly mistaking. There are a few more companies that said the same thing, and many many more keeping their mouth shut, but are thinking the exact same thing. It was what was warned about, but who cares about those warning. If believe Papa John is the exception and not the norm, I have a brokenly bridge up for sale.
You see humans have a problem. We are a selfish stupid people. We are all guilty of being follower of some dumb popular opinion from time to time.
The devil is in the details and people can’t see the forest for the trees, we have a short attention span, and tend to forget the lessons we have learnt. individuals may be smart but as a whole we are dumb. Here is an analogy, most people will turn on their TV with a remote, and never once will ask themselves how does thing work. So why want they ask themselves that question, simple. They don’t care, they only care that it works. This seemingly simple little act of making your TV turn on has always been taken for granted. Nobody thinks or cares about the complexity of a remote, and of course why should you? This attitude would be fine if all you did in life was turn on a TV, but what if you the guy designing it, don’t think you need to understand a remote?
We the people are designing our government, yet we carry the same I don’t care attitude to our voting. Obamacare is good example of this, most people hear “healthcare for everybody” and they are happy, like pushing that button on the TV remote, you’re just happy and don’t understand or care how it’s going to work. You never asked the question how is this going to work and what’s the cause and effect of it. You hear free healthcare get stuck on that idea as a possibility, follow the hype, and nobody can tell you different. Who cares how works, I want free healthcare!!!!
Now let take a minute to separate the fantasy world from reality and let’s break this down as to what real companies are going to do.
Let’s say it cost a company 2000 dollars a year per employee, and you run mid to small size company with 200 employees. That 400,000 dollars a year of loss profit. Now if you run a company with 200 employees it’s not a stretch to say you could be doing pretty well and could be making 4 million a year. 400,000 would almost 1/8 of you income (not including all the taxes that upcoming too). Now believe it or not most rich like their money and aren’t take 1/8 income loss. If I was rich I would like my money and be annoyed to have a 1/8 loss every year. You can morally object to that and say companies need to the right thing, but that fantasyland. It’s not going to change the fact rich people like their money. So what happens when a company has a loss of profit, they want to make the money back…duh!
So how you do that, well they will get rid of staff, and put more staff on part time to avoid the cost of full time benefits. Look how bad it is now trying to find a full time job, you think obamacare is going make any easier…ha! So what’s the next they are going to do, oh raise price of product to offset profit loss. You can’t get rid of all the staff so pass the loss off to the consumer.
Then it becomes a vicious circle, more people is going to be unemployed and need more from the government, and then government puts the squeeze on companies, and in turn the companies put the squeeze on us, and the economy goes down, down, down. Making everybody suffer, so enjoy your free healthcare for the short term.
This is NAFTA all over, people got convinced by the hype it was right thing to do (by both parties), and anybody that disagreed was dumb. Despite all the warning NAFTA passed and look what it did. It’s predicted as of date by some economist, that NAFTA cost 1.4 million jobs in the US, and NAFTA only opened trade with Mexico and Canada.
We follow hype all the time and never care about reality, we just like the fantasy that is portrayed to us. It happens in everyday life, even with something like an iphone. People will line up in fronts stores and wait on the latest version, without the 1st review of it. Who cares if the maps sucks, or if antenna does work, I just want follow the hype and get a new iphone. Then people realized they been had, they will spend hours trying to justify to themselves and other they weren’t.
Now the kicker to all this, if you think the rich are greedy evil people….well yeah, but when they are doing well, we all end up doing well. We the rich get richer we all get richer. Big business doesn’t build new plants when they are losing money…. But when they are making money it trickles down. If a plant rolls into town, and they need engineers, then contractors, and suppliers, these people need home builders, they all need doctors, stores, fast food joints, and so on and so on. Do you all remember a little thing called the industrial revolution?
Yet here we are today the doing exact opposite of made our country thrive, and loving it because we by into the hype…..It’s the right thing.

edit on 13-11-2012 by Tbrooks76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Only one thing matters, does this make the employees MORE likely to spit in my food or LESS likely to spit in my food?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
funny how they can give away 2 million pizzas, but cannot give simple health care to their employees...i'll pay 15 cents more per pizza, so their employees can have health care, but, obviously that's not the owner's point, he's just a greedy 1 percenter, and represents the groupthink of that class of people
edit on 13-11-2012 by jimmyx because: spell

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The only reason I'd ever eat that crap is because someone else bought it and there isn't anything else being served. For me personally? I'll drive in to Sal's. He makes an authentic NY style slice AND helps pay for his employees healthcare.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Also Papa Johns is a franchise. Schnatter can neither set the price at the restaurants nor schedule shifts.

Also: If the restaurants can just rise the price and use fewer workers, without loosing business to competitors with lower prices and better service, why do they have to wait for obamacare to show them how to increase their profits?

Also: I hope this is enough bad PR for some franchises to drop the brand.
edit on 13-11-2012 by narwahl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Poor Papa John's

The chain made $44 million dollars in profit last year, and its CEO John Schnatter lives in a 45,000-square-foot mansion. But he is threatening to not provide health care to his employees as required by Obamacare because it would cost the company between $5 and $8 million a year.[

Do the math, folks. That means Papa John's annual profit would be reduced to somewhere in the range of $36 to $39 million a year. Schnatter adds that otherwise he will have to charge customers 15 cents extra for a pizza.
/ex]
rimcountrygazette.blogspot.in...

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
funny how they can give away 2 million pizzas, but cannot give simple health care to their employees...i'll pay 15 cents more per pizza, so their employees can have health care, but, obviously that's not the owner's point, he's just a greedy 1 percenter, and represents the groupthink of that class of people
edit on 13-11-2012 by jimmyx because: spell

Since when is it an employer's responsibility to pay for an employee's health care? Employee health care is a BENEFIT, the same as vacation, education and personal time. That's it plain and simple.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

The chain made $44 million dollars in profit last year, and its CEO John Schnatter lives in a 45,000-square-foot mansion. But he is threatening to not provide health care to his employees as required by Obamacare because it would cost the company between $5 and $8 million a year.[

Reading that makes me sick to my stomach!

The guy should be lucky enough to develop some disease that costs 36 million a year to treat!

Greedy bastard!
edit on 13-11-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Since now?

But here's the rub. Our workers compete with other first and third world nations in the marketplace, and all of them without exception have universal Healthcare.

Hell -- our closest allies have it. That means that their workers never have to worry about losing their home or life savings if they get cancer.

Frankly -- Romneycare doesn't go far enough. We need single payer, as that would increase the risk pool and shrink costs for everyone.

In the meantime: tired arguments are tired.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Typically pizza store workers are low to no skill and low to no education.

Allocating funds to pay for their healthcare would cost more than they are worth to the business.

An employer has no obligation to provide health insurance to their employees, it is offered as a perk to attract the best talent. In the realm of minimum wage jobs, workers are a dime a dozen. There is no need to increase the cost of doing business when you have plenty of high school kids filling the labor pool for minimum wage jobs.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

I am about to piss a lot of people off so you might wanna go ahead and take off the panties so they don't get too tight.

I think that if you are given the right to run a BIG business in this country then you should be required to provide for your employees. If it wasn't for them you wouldn't have a damn business. The difference between 30 million and 40 million is hardly noticeable when compared to the difference between the $30,000 and $40,000 that many Americans make in a single year. You're still a rich bastard with more money than your grandchildren could ever need if you live extremely comfortably while also being very responsible.

Okay I think I should just go ahead and make my own post about the rant I am about to get into...

But yeah, it ain't gonna hurt the company to jack their prices up a quarter if it's killin the poor guy, us nobodies will still pay it.
edit on 13-11-2012 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Tbrooks76

I read you post and then many of the replies and it is surprising to me how many people have no idea of the cost of health care insurance. I have owned my business for about 20 years. We offered health insurance to our full time employees. in 1998 the cost for Anthem was $300/month for male employees $500/month for female and $560/month for female that were still able to have children. In 2009 I had to discontinue offering health insurance because the cost has gone to $890/month for male $1150.00/month for female and $1210.00/month for females that we able still able to have children.

That was a cost of about $12000 to $15000 per employee per year. We had 20 employees and we could no longer afford it. Our revenue had remain flat or was declining but our health insurance had increase a $150,000 a year. This is a company with 20 employees. My choice was to layoff 10 employees in order to continue to afford insurance. But then with half the employees I could never get all the work done. What do you do? I do not have a money tree.

Bottom line is before Obama we had about 20 million without insurance in the United States. 10 million were in between jobs or plans. Obama promised cheaper insurance. It did not happen. He promise insurance for those that have pre-exsting conditions, that happened but you would have to have the income of Donald Trump to afford it. He promised insurance coverage for everyone even making it a law that you must have or be fined. It was challanged in the Supreme Court and they says it is legal. Well, Obama care only requires that company's give health insurance to full time employees. So here we go everyone is going to be changed to part time. Currently there are more people without health insurance than when Obama took office. About 35 million and growing at a rate of 3 million a month and expected to go to 12 million a month being added to no health insurance. America made their voices clear and vote for this plan and socialized medicine. Welcome it only goes further in the crapper from here.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Anundeniabletruth

Lol who gives people the "right" to own a business, no matter the size?

No one. Rights are natural, not "god given", or "government given". At least in an allegedly free country they are. A persons business is their private property. It's their capital, and more importantly, their risk. Are you seriously advocating government dictate what people must do with their own property?

Odd you didnt mention personal responsibility in regards to the employee. It is their responsibility to provide for themselves. Not business, not government, nor anyone else.

Then again, as many people realize, personal responsibility is a lost concept on people who think the way you do.
edit on 13-11-2012 by TheAngryFarm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anundeniabletruth
I think that if you are given the right to run a BIG business in this country

We have rights, we aren't given our rights, genius.

The rest of what you said was more gibberish. It's his business, his property, and he can hire or fire whomever he wants. That's what ownership means.

/TOA

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Well thank God they are not the only business like it. All I know is if I don`t like the service and feel it's due to being understaffed then I simply won`t go there. Pretty simple.
Walmart here is pushing that envelope pretty hard lately.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Also remember the last time a good part of an industry threatened publicly to jack up prices because of onerous regulation?

en.wikipedia.org...
Banks caved. and moving your accounts is a whole lot more work than ordering a different brand of pizza...

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot
Only one thing matters, does this make the employees MORE likely to spit in my food or LESS likely to spit in my food?

What employees?
Can't they do all that with robots????

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAngryFarm
reply to post by Anundeniabletruth

Lol who gives people the "right" to own a business, no matter the size?

No one. Rights are natural, not "god given", or "government given". At least in an allegedly free country they are. A persons business is their private property. It's their capital, and more importantly, their risk. Are you seriously advocating government dictate what people must do with their own property?

Odd you didnt mention personal responsibility in regards to the employee. It is their responsibility to provide for themselves. Not business, not government, nor anyone else.

Then again, as many people realize, personal responsibility is a lost concept on people who think the way you do.
edit on 13-11-2012 by TheAngryFarm because: (no reason given)

Well you see... The problem is that that masses are kind of stupid and have shown time and time again that they need someone to hold their hand and show them what to do. They wouldn't defend themselves when being screwed. That's part of the reason we have a government in the first place. Or, if you look at it like I do, that's the illusion of government while the wealthy few who control it screw everyone.

I would love to agree with you that it is indeed the employee's responsibility to provide for themselves because it should be true. BUT how can they do so when they are not being paid a wage that will allow them to buy a home, let alone pay for health insurance? Whether you or anyone else likes it, the fact remains, that if it were not for the regular Joe employee who is being screwed, there would be no business and the owner wouldn't have to worry about losing a few million dollars one year. I'm sorry but I do not and will not promote slavery no matter what color you paint the picture.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
[
edit on 13-11-2012 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

sorry had to self-edit
edit on 13-11-2012 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
When did the American dream become a crime.

You collect welfare and get Obama phones. Food stamps

Then you get mad at someone who worked or started a business became well off or rich

Get a job and try to make it. I'm not rich but I'm not mad at the next guy. Geez

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join