It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Object of Secession Out at Last

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Found this interesting article from the New York Times

This article makes me want to draw comparisons to Obama and Lincoln.
They do seem to be alike in the ways that they effect the culture.

from the article:

Secession, is not intended to break up the present government, but to perpetuate it. We do not propose to go out by way of breaking up or destroying the Union as our fathers gave it to us, but we go out for the purpose of getting further guarantees and security for our rights

If the Southern States secede, we have no doubt they will speedily be anxious to return

Anyways, it's interesting that they are saying that the southern states will be ready to re-join immediately.

Link

edit on 13-11-2012 by DrGod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrGod
Found this interesting article from the New York Times

This article makes me want to draw comparisons to Obama and Lincoln.
They do seem to be alike in the ways that they effect the culture.

from the article:

Secession, is not intended to break up the present government, but to perpetuate it. We do not propose to go out by way of breaking up or destroying the Union as our fathers gave it to us, but we go out for the purpose of getting further guarantees and security for our rights

If the Southern States secede, we have no doubt they will speedily be anxious to return

Anyways, it's interesting that they are saying that the southern states will be ready to re-join immediately.

Link

edit on 13-11-2012 by DrGod because: (no reason given)

Well the majority of the Red States receive more in Federal funds and aid then they contribute in taxes. So they would rapidly go bankrupt.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SG-17

Well the majority of the Red States receive more in Federal funds and aid then they contribute in taxes. So they would rapidly go bankrupt.

this map shows which states pay (blue) for which states receive (red). I doubt TX & FL could sustain the rest of the confederacy at today's levels. They would be MISERABLE - they would starve and lack resources. I'm sure the rich & powerful won't feel it but anyone that used to be middle class would quickly melt into the destitute class.

Edited to add: I just heard that tens of thousands of signatures have been collected for TX secession. That's treason in itself but even if they do it peacefully they will be very very very sorry.
edit on 13-11-2012 by DarkSecret because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
hmmm, given 34 states and counting have active petitions on file, it would be hard to accept the South as instigators in this movement.

and, considering more than 1/2 of those 34 are blue states, i'm guessing the South would do just fine.
however, those northern red states could find themselves literally, out in the cold.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
These WH.GOV petitions mean absolutely nothing beyond an official WH response. All the people will get is a typical "this is a time to come together" from the WH. Earth shattering!

That being said, lets ignore the many, many States that have passed resolutions of "secession" in their state house of reps. More accurately, these Bills are "State Sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment or we'll leave" Bills. Many of these Bills were passed in the houses of Northern States. Many of them Obama voting States. ZOMG! Even California

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SG-17

You're assuming that their rate of spending would increase or remain the same? So long as they don't declare war on any countries, don't give bailouts to banks, don't give "aid" to foreign nations, don't have a military budget that is obscene, don't try to spy on all of their citizens, don't try to spy on the whole world, don't waste resources jailing people for moral issues, have a healthy budget for local social aid, etc... what then would become the issue?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

There is going to be some in-depth analysis of this... make no mistake. This isn't a laughing matter, 100,000+ signatures is only a fraction of the population that actually support such an idea. I'll put it this way, if the petition was open for a year, 12 months, and people had a chance to think about it... how many signatures would it get then? 30 days with minimal media coverage isn't much....

top topics

join