It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World`s Most Expensive Beer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Here is something a ran across on Youtube I thought was a bit interesting. Sam Adams has released a high end beer called Utopia which may be the most expensive beer in the world. It cost 190USD for a bottle and alcohol percentage is 29%. It is supposed to have a very fruity taste. Have anyone ever tried this? If so please give everyone the low down on this beer. How good is it? I have never tried it and I am sure a lot of people who check out this thread have not tried it as well. Would y`all buy it or at least give it a go at least once if it was offered to you?
For the matter, what do all of y`all think about high end beer like this?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I'd try it. At 29% alcohol it's pretty much the same as buying a fine spirit for a special occasion. Not really the kind of thing you are going to drink at a pool party on the weekend...

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
People will spend $190 on this 1 bottle just to be able to tell that story, which is kind of sad.

My former CEO use to spend $90 per shot of whiskey for bragging rights to his employees, while his employees went without Xmas bonuses and raises for years. The majority of people in this world who will spend that kind of cash on 1 bottle of beer are clearly stating to everyone else...."I am a psychopathic moron whom you all should steer clear of!"

I'll stick to my 1.75 giant bottle of Jim Beam for $20, thanks anyway Sam Adams.

edit on 13-11-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
way to overpriced.... no thanks.... stuff like that is for people with more money than brains and no taste.... many better beers available out there at a small fraction of the extortion price they want for that one....

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
People buying that beer have more dollars than sense. I would try it if offered to me but there's no way I'd buy that stuff. That's like a 4 month beer budget!

edit on 13-11-2012 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I don't think this is a fair assessment. A few family members and I have a tradition of buying fine booze for each other for birthdays and holidays to avoid the dreaded "I got you a bread maker!", "But I already have 3?"

So instead of buying stupid gifts that get returned or sit in a closet we buy a premium bottle of booze, sit down, drink and enjoy each others company.

As far as the boss drinking $90 shots and bragging, the guy sounds like a dick, but buying premium brands doesn't put you in the same category...

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Sam Adams 'beers' are swill, in my humble opinion. This concoction sounds like it's really not a beer in the traditional sense. The "fruity" description killed it for me. I think it's kind of gimmicky...an attempt to show people that Sam Adams is some kind of super brewery.

As a born beer connoisseur who appreciates good ales, lagers or stouts, I maintain that if you can't get a good fresh brew from a local brewery or micro, then look to our European friends!
Grolsch
Pilsner Urquell
St Pauli
Guinness
Bass\Newcastle\Harvey's

Beer shouldn't be strawberry, chocolate or pumpkin flavored!!!!!!!!!!
All just my humble opinion, of course. I realize that beer taste is subjective. I've had friends that think Busch light is manna from heaven.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColeYounger

I agree with this guy 100%, lol. Give me a Molson Cold Shot any day.
edit on 13-11-2012 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Beer does not exist outside the borders of a small european country, called Belgium.
There are indeed many different sorts of liquids sold as "beer" all over the place, but not even one of them is actually beer. Some aren't even suitable for human consumption.
Want to taste beer ? Visit Belgium.
This stuff is an overpriced bad joke.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
A few facts.

-The Boston Beer Co. has been making this beer for years.
-The beer is fruity because it's a highly concentrated amount of yeast that ferments it. That yeast throws fruity flavors.
-It's a mix of different batches that have all been aged for years and years in different whiskey and wine barrels. This also contributes lots of flavors.

One opinion.

-It's not about status. Does it actually cost $190 to make? Probably not, but you can't knock them for trying to make a profit.

www.samueladams.com...

The Boston Beer Co. does not make swill. Just because they don't make a common Czech pilsner doesn't mean they're bad.

reply to post by ColeYounger

Why can't beer have adjuncts? Splain to me.

edit on 13-11-2012 by WickettheRabbit because: These dudes...

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by trisvonbis
Beer does not exist outside the borders of a small european country, called Belgium.
There are indeed many different sorts of liquids sold as "beer" all over the place, but not even one of them is actually beer. Some aren't even suitable for human consumption.
Want to taste beer ? Visit Belgium.
This stuff is an overpriced bad joke.

Have you tried some of the traditional Belgian styles produced by 'Merican breweries? New Belgium, New Glarus, The Bruery, Russian River?

You should.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I don't think this is a fair assessment. A few family members and I have a tradition of buying fine booze for each other for birthdays and holidays to avoid the dreaded "I got you a bread maker!", "But I already have 3?"

So instead of buying stupid gifts that get returned or sit in a closet we buy a premium bottle of booze, sit down, drink and enjoy each others company.

Agreed boncho, my friends and I have similar traditions on holidays.... but we buy the stuff that isn't marked up 20000%. At best we might buy each other a $100-$150 bottle of some good stuff, a 1 time occasion sort of purchase. Maybe some aged whiskey, that's my preference.

$190 per bottle for "beer" though? And only 29% alcohol at that, probably doesn't even taste like any beer we are accustomed to. Buying only 1 bottle of that as a gift for someone will probably leave them thirsty for more and unsatisfied in the end, no?
edit on 13-11-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I can't let this go.

As a born beer connoisseur who appreciates good ales, lagers or stouts, I maintain that if you can't get a good fresh brew from a local brewery or micro, then look to our European friends!
Grolsch
Pilsner Urquell
St Pauli
Guinness
Bass\Newcastle\Harvey's

Do you realize the first three beers you've listed ship in green bottles? Do you know what that does to the beer? It skunks it. Just like Heini, just like Rolling Rock. On top of that, you're never going to get a fresh one in the states unless it's actually made in Canada, like Guinness.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Sam Adams 'beers' are swill, in my humble opinion. This concoction sounds like it's really not a beer in the traditional sense. The "fruity" description killed it for me. I think it's kind of gimmicky...an attempt to show people that Sam Adams is some kind of super brewery.

Grolsch
Pilsner Urquell
St Pauli
Guinness
Bass\Newcastle\Harvey's

All just my humble opinion, of course. I realize that beer taste is subjective. I've had friends that think Busch light is manna from heaven.

You poor bastard
If you were really a beer connoisseur you would understand that different ingredients give off different flavour notes. Notably, some yeasts give off distinct banana flavours such as WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast which produces a very slight amount of the banana and clove notes. Other yeasts will give of bready, or fruity esters, etc. But the yeast is only part of the equasion. Other ingredients such as the malted barleys or wheats are kilned to different degrees giving flavour characteristics as detailed in the following link.(link). Then there is hops... Well I hope you see my point that we don't need to add fruits or chocolat or coffee to get them into our falvour profiles. We simply manage our ingredients to take advantage of their own natural characteristics.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
All of y`alls responses are great! I really like talking about beer but this is my first beer thread here at ATS.

The thing that peaked by interest in this beer was simply the fact that Sam Adams is making it. I really like Sam Adams. It has been several years since I have been states side but I remember being able to get a box of Sam Adams simple boxes. Those were fun to buy because you could get many different types of beers.

For me, flavored beers are pretty good usually. It is a nice change of pace. Here is Japan, those types of beer are hard to come by and usually out of my price range. I have always been a working class kind of guy so two cases of PBR, a family pack of pork chops and some good friends made for a good evening.

I will post more threads about beer in the future.

top topics

join