It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people believe in God?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Why do you think free will might not exist?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala

This begs the question, why has mankind been so thoroughly conditioned to be afraid of death?

We were not "conditioned", it is a natural survival instinct provided by evolution IMO. It is a necessary feeling to sustain a species, which is why animals are also afraid of death. It is our complex brains that attempt to rationalize that fear is being caused by something other than the reason I provided.
edit on 13-11-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-11-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

If a mouse is in a maze, and he doesnt know hes in a maze, and he thinks he has free will does he have free will?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

Anti wisdom? is asking questions anti wisdom? whats wrong worried a person will wake up and leave your club?
2nd.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

Originally posted by Renegade2283

reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

If you really are 19 and are having doubts with regards to your faith then my advice is stop visiting this website.

ATS is very much anti-God (anti-Christian)

This is THE most dangerous place for you to be right now.

They are only words. If this person decides that the argument made "against" god or Christianity (which are not the same thing as you infer) is better than that made for it, then that is their decision. Perhaps the reason they could have been swayed is due to the fact that the humanists/atheists made a better argument. If god/Christianity was correct, then the believers should be able to "win" the debate and convince the person in question.

OP please refer to this person's response to me because it perfectly illustrates what I was trying to say to you.

If you are a person of faith, then that is not something "up for debate" as Renegade2283 just stated.

Leave. now. Don't lose yourself in this cesspool of anti-wisdom.

You've been warned.

So you are "warning him to leave"?

Why, out of fear perhaps? Fear that logic will overwhelm your highly cherished beliefs and that more and more wake up to the fact that religion and god are used to control?

Why would you direct someone away from a discussion unless you fear your argument will be proven wrong. If your belief is "correct", then why would you suggest that he not listen to a couple words said over the net? I feel that if this person has the ability to be swayed by a couple sentences, then they have little "faith" to begin. Instead they favor logic and reasoning.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Renegade2283

I have no fear of death, and I lean in favor of God existing,

Well, that is what I am saying. Of course you have no fear of death, you believe in god, it makes perfect sense. I am not saying that this is the case for all, but most. Many never develop any fear of death because they have been conditioned their whole life to believe in god and an afterlife. Also, I have no intent to present this as fact, rather a personal opinion.

Both religion and atheism have conditioned people to fear death. Atheism, because the person loses the only life they have. Religion, because they are then at the mercy of another being who will either torture them forever, or grant them entry to a "paradise" where they can do the bidding of that person forever, not quite as bad as the torture, and only if they lived a certain way on earth.

This begs the question, why has mankind been so thoroughly conditioned to be afraid of death? The only explanation that makes sense to me is control; in reality, if you think about it, the ONLY power any authoritative entity (government, religious structure, whatever) has comes from the fear of death and that alone. The power to issue a fine, for example, comes from the power to imprison is said fine is not paid, and that power just comes from the power to kill a resistor to imprisonment, and that power is only effective as a control mechanism if people think of death as a thing to be afraid of. Remove the fear of death, and mankind is utterly free to do as they please.

What in death is there to fear when people so strongly believe that it's going to save them from what they call 'hell on earth"?

I believe that God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit exist and are real entities, I believe that Satan and the Antichrist and Demons exist and are real entities. I believe that heaven is real, and I believe that hell is real. Does all of this believing mean that I think I'm going to heaven, no! I know what sort of person I am and I know that I deserve death. Does admitting that I'm a sinner mean that I've done a good deed and am now justified, no! I'm just as guilty as if I've never told anyone, because who I am on the inside hasn't changed no matter what I say on the outside. And another thing, am I more benevolent just because I hold myself responsible for my actions? No, demons know what's coming to them, they know they have an appointed time for their torment too.
I believe that God exists because I've seen my proof, I've experienced that which MANY don't even know exists, a love that is pure, indestructable and unforgettable. God's love is unexpected, it is above what anyone can even think to ask for and it doesn't cost a single dime. ALL the money gold silver gems food and water in the world can't compare to it and so it is a heinous crime to me that people would think to preach for money because God is not a prostitute. God isn't going to shower you with gifts if you give a preacher some money, you can't buy prosperity from God.
What God does expect, however, is a faithful partner. In a partnership, one side doesn't do all the work because believe it or not, work needs to be done. Jesus said "Greater works will they do because I go to the Father."
How will believers go about doing these "greater works"? Do they turn into mindless robots who automatically know what constitutes as work or do they need instuctions as we do with any work.
If I decide that I'd like to be a gardener and immediately thereafter started referring to myself as a gardener, will I be struck with a sudden green thumb, knowing how certain plants function and their specific needs or, would I need to be instructed on gardening?
People who don't meet requirements don't graduate. Do you suppose that God is going to enlarge our amount of good, if we treat the good that we have with contempt?
And do people build houses without first having a completed blueprint with all of the necessary materials and tools and know-how? Likewise Jesus said not to dabble in his line of work without first understanding what they are up against. Christianity is famous for getting people involved in Christianity first as a member, THEN they start teaching about what it means to be a Christian, that's the main reason Christianity is mocked and ridiculed.

People who say that "works are like dirty rags" don't care very much about what Jesus did and they certainly aren't doing greater works than him either.
edit on 10/01/11 by Wonders because: To add.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

OP please refer to this person's response to me because it perfectly illustrates what I was trying to say to you.

If you are a person of faith, then that is not something "up for debate" as Renegade2283 just stated.

Leave. now. Don't lose yourself in this cesspool of anti-wisdom.

You've been warned.

I don't understand that. When did it begin to be a bad thing to question and to make up ones own mind?

If a person truly has faith, what will it matter if they read a conflicting viewpoint? Won't it be read and discarded as something that goes against that faith?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Solomon lived his life sure of himself and his wisdom. He's the one that said, "Train up a child in the way that he should go and when he is older, he will not depart from it." This is the same Solomon who raised sons that cursed him later in life. Solomon wrote the Song of Solomon about his one true love, yet he had 700+ wives. He was a failed father, failed leader and failed husband. Later, in Ecclesiastes, he laments this fact and comes to a few conclusions. He realized one thing: It is possible to know truth, yet impossible to live it here in this place. We are out of context with truth and away from unity with God. Because of this, we are divided from His kingdom and we realize this deeply. We long for our first estate with God. This is the prodigal son longing to return to the Father.

When all is said and done, the trip to the wilderness will be a reflecting point for your soul to see the difference between paradise and its journey away from God. God produced us as a soul in paradise. We choose to leave and will return. Look up involution and evolution. LINK

Many of my other threads may be helpful. As well, there is a link in my signature to some good articles.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Pascal said: "God has given us evidence sufficiently clear to convince those with an open heart and mind. Yet evidence sufficiently vague so as not to compel those whose hearts and minds are closed."

Pascal also says that there are three kinds of people: those who have sought God and found Him, those who are seeking and have not yet found, and those who neither seek nor find. The first are reasonable and happy, the second are reasonable and unhappy, and the third are both unreasonable and unhappy. If whats at stake stimulates us at least to seek, then it will at least stimulate us to be reasonable. And if the promise Christ makes is true, all who seek him will find him, then we will be reasonable AND happy.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
My one line answer (not counting this one, lol):

I've never seen a good reason not to believe in God.

I have asked atheists for years for a good reason to discard my belief in God, and I've never received one. They ramble on about control, time, money, reasoned morality and much more, but it all comes down to turning in my beliefs in eternal truths, and the comfort and joy that they provide, for temporarily elevated levels of selfishness and arrogance.

Regardless of what reason one might have to believe in God, once it is there, there is no good reason to discard it.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
reply to post by smithjustinb

If a mouse is in a maze, and he doesnt know hes in a maze, and he thinks he has free will does he have free will?

I'd like to think so.
When I was in Basic Training the Drill Sgts would occasionally tell we maggots that no one put a gun to our heads and forced us to sign up for their bizarre treatment and brainwashing techniques.
During the end of bootcamp, they wanted us to tell eachother "I appreciate it." rather than "Thank you." because "We're only doing our job, mannndattoooorrrrrrrrry.", well one Drill Sgt was helping me with my dress up clothes and I told her "Thank you." Immediately several squids were eager to tell me to say "I appreciate it.", I was sure to say, "Thank you." again, and was given the special honor of being pulled aside by another private who was so sure I'd get in trouble for my understanding that the Drill Sgt didn't HAVE TO help me with my clothes, she could have allowed me to prance around all "ate up", but she didn't. I know this because during boot camp, several Drill Sgts COULD HAVE been nicer to an E1, but they actually wanted me go rip roaring on her during combat training. Warrior and member of a team? Yeah, right. While there I was moved to point out to the other fifty nine women that I was sharing a bedroom with, "Some people don't seem to understand that there is a difference between a leader and a dictator."

People attribute their freedom of speech to people who marched and shot down strangers they've never met.
But there are people who say things despite the fact that they'd be killed for it. Martin Luther King Jr., John F. Kennedy, not for the thrill of being stab-worthy, but because the truth needs to be spoken and it needs to be heard.

edit on 10/01/11 by Wonders because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeenieWeenie
And if the promise Christ makes is true, all who seek him will find him, then we will be reasonable AND happy.

If that were true, then everyone who 'seeks' would be a member of the same religion, and religion wouldn't be largely correlated with geographic location.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Congratulations!!

Sorry for the members who are calling you "dude", and referring to you as "he"....you clearly stated you are female.

You have reached the point of development that EVERYONE reaches (but not all successfully navigate)....to figure out who "You" are, subjectively, as part of the system around you.

You're supposed to be thinking those very things, and wondering those very questions....well done, and VERY well written (leaving me to wonder what you meant by not having much education; if that's the case, you're a born writer, dear!)

Keep asking those questions, and kudos. You won't find the answers anytime soon, it's a long journey, and you're only just beginning as an "adult." Your questions will persist, and I have a feeling you will continue to seek information wherever you think you can get it.

Stay true to yourself, your gut instincts, and the answers will come, ever so slowly. Every person who believes in "God" (or conversely refuses to believe) does so for PERSONAL reasons.

For an interesting study on the subject, and some answers to your questions, read: The Varieties of Religious Experience; A Study in Human Nature by William James, published in 1902.

And then, The Evolution of God by Robert Wright (this one is much more fun reading, but answers the questions just as well). It was published in 2009...over a hundred years later.

Hang in there, young lady! Keep thinking for yourself, and remember that you are subject to influence; your job, as a competent adult, is to wade through the mind-blowing amount of information at your fingertips, and come to some sort of "self". Enjoy it, and always keep an open mind, and use your critical thinking skills!!

You are the leaders of the future, and we have all our hopes tied up in you.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
People are religious for one reason: Nobody wants to feel like their life is meaningless and pointless. It's that simple.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

We are probably in our unconcious remembering the sense of ONENESS with everything from before birth. I believe in something more exist and it seems that more believes in me or it would not play around with me so much. If you are having a problem with whatever view you have of something more then you could always try meditation. Playing around with chakra might be good for you. It is hard to really use the bodies real potential in today's society. We are so disconnected from ourself and surroundings.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
The word God is used to replace the word 'unknown'.

Anything we don't comprehend or cannot explain is put into the category of God and then because we don't have the answers and the unknown exists and marvels our little brains, we then worship it as a deity.

A better definition from my point of view would be the ultimate conciousness (reality conciousness) that exist. A human can be like a god to an ant. It is just a different level of understanding and perception. Evolve, question seek and find and follow the golden rule.
edit on 13-11-2012 by LittleByLittle because: Spellchecking

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Almost everyone on earth believes in "God"

It's one thing to believe in God, demons believe in God too, and they shudder.

It's another thing to place faith in GOD, and to follow His Son,

Go and talk to people and observe peoples situations and there feelings and emotions.

The people who only "believe" in God, or don't believe in God, will almost always be selfish, narcissitic, materialistic, and pessimistic

The people who believe in God, but don't follow His Son will show similar characteristics, sometimes even becoming violent and animalistic (beast like)

The people who truly believe in God and truly follow His Son will be selfless, loving, caring, charitable, and act gracefully and truthfully.

“For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men: As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.” 1 Peter 2:15-16 KJV

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeenieWeenie
And if the promise Christ makes is true, all who seek him will find him, then we will be reasonable AND happy.

If that were true, then everyone who 'seeks' would be a member of the same religion, and religion wouldn't be largely correlated with geographic location.

I agree with the poster. Christ conciousness/gnosis/egodeath can be found by all people who seek in their own way a connection. If any blessed one Buddha, Krishna, Jesus finds you then the all other blessed one has found you. There is no disconnection between the blessed ones on that level. It is only humans caught up in religion and duality that cannot understand. That is their problem and their limitation of the understanding of god. But they will get it sooner or later.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Reply; because they fear Him. When you fear Him you don't need to fear what's to come, isn't it like that fellow humans? And what is to come? Judgement day.
edit on 13-11-2012 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I've been praying for no more "Why do people believe in god" threads for a year.

So far it's not looking good.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join