It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Candid shots of the rich by the rich. A stunning and slightly nauseating peak into their lives

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Stop your whinning and go make your own money. This 99% "talking point" is getting old. Stop concerning yourself with the lives of other people.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAngryFarm

Originally posted by nixie_nox

In a lot of cases they are, and their dealings were very shady. Just look at Kim Dotcom.

So your logical conclusion is to vilify the many based on the actions of a few?

Ok then, I have a relative that is a self made millionaire, a holy roller, born again Christians. They would assist younger family members but on conditions that that person would have to become born again too, and use their money to force them to do what they want, which is usually spending all the their free time at church. They would even dictate who that person could date. State legislation caused them to lose some money, they would lay off family and friends, but would get a new 5,000 chandilier in their 8,000 sq. ft. mansion. So no, my personal experience has been good.

Do you do that in regards to black people too?

Then you don't know me very well, since I tend to be the civil rights maniac on these boards.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
They have their reward.

What profits a man if he possess the whole world at the cost of his soul?

Be in the world but not of it.

And don't save up here because dust and thieves blah, blah, blah.

You get the point.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
All that keeps resounding in my brain as I read some of the posts is the 10th commandment: thou shalt not covet. As many of your heads begins to smoke and prepare for an explosion brought on by someone "forcing their morals" on you; stop and think. Are you not forcing your morals on them? Who are any of us to say what their money should buy? I am by no means considered rich, but i have everything that I need, and I do not envy their lifestyles at all. Something about it being easier for a camel to pass through an eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven kind of ruins the whole "being rich is awesome" belief

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I am a broke, broke, broke, public employee. My former occupation (and where I used to live) had me working in the third richest county in the nation. Multi million dollar homes, where their kitchen table costs more then everything I own.

One day, after I received an eviction notice for my crappy apartment, I had to go into one of these houses. And the wife was on the phone, yelling at the builder, because he put in the mail box 6 inches too far from the driveway.

And then I felt sorry for them. To have my life have so little meaning and nothing to contribute that I had nothign better to do then call the builder and bitch about how the mailbox was 6 inches too far from the driveway.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
In regards to the photo with the Segway guy, it kinda looks Photoshopped, like most likely the photo was pieced together for teh lulz. The dude looks a little low resolution-ish compared to the rest of the photo. He doesn't seem to "mesh" well with the mansion in the background. Also, I would think there would be evidence of some tracks from the wheels in the grass, at least some obvious patches of flattened blades leaning in the direction of his path. Given, the entirety of the lawn looks pretty shabby and not well kept to me, so even if I were to think it were a legit photo, tracks would still probably not show well. I guess their help must be on strike or something...

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jar11
reply to post by pheonix358

It's gratuity. Basically it's a tip for the wait staff (and with that large of a tip, I would be surprised if the restaurant didn't take a piece of that as well).

That service charge is about what I earn in a YEAR. Sickening.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SerratedSoul
In regards to the photo with the Segway guy, it kinda looks Photoshopped, like most likely the photo was pieced together for teh lulz. The dude looks a little low resolution-ish compared to the rest of the photo. He doesn't seem to "mesh" well with the mansion in the background. Also, I would think there would be evidence of some tracks from the wheels in the grass, at least some obvious patches of flattened blades leaning in the direction of his path. Given, the entirety of the lawn looks pretty shabby and not well kept to me, so even if I were to think it were a legit photo, tracks would still probably not show well. I guess their help must be on strike or something...

Sorry that's ridiculous. There is clear track marks towards the back of the lawn. Also these are images on instagram, generally taken by smartphones. It is possible to load images on your phone after photoshopping, but why? I see absolutely zero evidence of photoshopping, and what is the point?

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

We'll he probably did pick up most everybodies tab in that club that night depending on the size of the club.

First here's a pic of the Methuselah bottle.

I was like wow that's a big bottle of Champagne 6 Liters of what is supposed to be the best in the world. So if that was 25,000 GBP what in the H E double hockey sticks could cost 120,000 GBP?

This is a picture of a bottle of Armand de Brignac Midas

It's 30L and weighs 100 pounds.

But here's the thing that's only 5,673 GBP worth of Champagne if you bought it in Magnum sized bottles. So either someone was willing to shell out 114,000 some odd pounds for a giant metal bottle and the bad assery of needing two guys to carry out your bottle of Champagne or, and I feel this is much more likely, that price is bull# and likely set up by some PR firm working for Carrier the maker of the Champagne. Here in the US they are represented by a firm that get it placed in music videos and A List celebrity parties.

And to the OP I would say no the Elite are not getting out of control I would say their actions are no more ridiculous than the super rich of the past. I think it's just 1 they don't mind rubbing anyone who will pay attention's face in it and 2 social media's pervasiveness make it much more apparent.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Jeremiah65

Carnegie blew h is money because he held the religious belief that if you died rich, you went to hell. Which is why he didn't start blowing it till his late 60s. Had nothing to do with goodness. If he really cared, he would of stopped paying workers a penny a day and paid them more and had them working for shorter hours.

All the 1% should have the same belief, the world would be a better place. .

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
All that keeps resounding in my brain as I read some of the posts is the 10th commandment: thou shalt not covet. As many of your heads begins to smoke and prepare for an explosion brought on by someone "forcing their morals" on you; stop and think. Are you not forcing your morals on them? Who are any of us to say what their money should buy? I am by no means considered rich, but i have everything that I need, and I do not envy their lifestyles at all. Something about it being easier for a camel to pass through an eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven kind of ruins the whole "being rich is awesome" belief

It's not about what people spend their money on. It's the fact, at least to me, that the wealth they flaunt and waste comes from hard working people being exploited.

What if all the profits made from the labour of working people actually belonged to the working people? Then we could all live the comfortable two car, 2.5 kids, lifestyle without struggling to get by.

Why should working people be in poverty when there is so much wealth created?

For many Americans, a job is not enough to ensure economic well-being. About three million workers live in poverty despite working year-round in full-time jobs. A third of poor families with children include a full-time worker and nearly 60 percent of families below 200 percent of poverty have a family member who works full-time, year-round.While low-income workers struggle to make ends meet because of low-paying jobs, many also are impoverished when laws designed to protect workers’ income and benefits are violated. These laws include overtime compensation, minimum wage, misclassifying employees as independent contractors and statutes against child labor.In addition, many low-income workers face low quality jobs with few benefits.
Workers and Poverty

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
Stop your whinning and go make your own money. This 99% "talking point" is getting old. Stop concerning yourself with the lives of other people.

Are you serious? The lives of other people effect the lives of other people. We don't all live on islands, isolated from the effects of other people.

The wealth of those people come from the labour, exploitation, of other people.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Murad

EXCUSE ME, I am not woefull or jealous by any means at all, in fact I want you to prove me wrong on the point I just made, "a million bucks says you can't"

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jar11

eh, it's not nauseating if you earned it.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by jar11

eh, it's not nauseating if you earned it.

Except the majority of it is earned from the exploitation of others labour.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Exploited labor is a very widely used term. And forgive my use of the term, But most American workers are not exploited. Now there are companies that exploit labor. And they probably wont' face anything in their lives to stop them.

For the time being, there really is only one way to fix that. Buy something else. And if you don't care enough, you as a consumer are equally guilty.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

Exploited labor is a very widely used term. And forgive my use of the term, But most American workers are not exploited. Now there are companies that exploit labor. And they probably wont' face anything in their lives to stop them.

For the time being, there really is only one way to fix that. Buy something else. And if you don't care enough, you as a consumer are equally guilty.

In capitalism the worker has to produce more than they are paid for, in order for the capitalist to make profit. The extra that the worker produces, that they are not paid for, is called 'surplus value'. Capitalists often invest the 'surplus value' to make more profit for themselves. On average 40% is made from labour, and 60% from investments from the profits made from labour. Do the workers see anything of that?

Under worker ownership there is no surplus value and the worker owns all they produce. No one profits from another.

So yes ALL workers are exploited by the unnecessary private owner. It has nothing to do with buying anything, it's the way capitalists create "wealth" for their class.

edit on 12/23/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Cool story bro, but communism died 20 years ago.

As you can see right from the very images and bills on the OP, that surplus value goes back to the worker.

The reality is that money, indeed wealth, doesn't exist. Just people who spend and people who store up. And all that is stored up eventually gets spent, either by government repossession or an inheritor who enjoys spending more than his ancestor.

People like me don't have to worry about that. We do our civil service jobs and get paid. Because someone always needs us. Power to the prosumer.
edit on 23-12-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Cool story bro, but communism died 20 years ago.

Wow so naive. The only way we can save our economy is through worker ownership. It's more relevant now than it's ever been.

It may not be the revolution’s dawn, but it’s certainly a glint in the darkness. On Monday, this country’s largest industrial labor union teamed up with the world’s largest worker-cooperative to present a plan that would put people to work in labor-driven enterprises that build worker power and communities, too.

Worker Ownership For the 21st Century?

As you can see right from the very images and bills on the OP, that surplus value goes back to the worker.

No it doesn't. Surplus value is what the owner takes in profit.

Difference between a worker's wages (exchange value) and the value of goods and services he or she produces (use value). Since use value is (or should be) always higher than the exchange value, workers produce a positive surplus value through their labor. German philosopher-economist Karl Mark (1818-83) used surplus value as a measure of worker exploitation by capitalism.

www.businessdictionary.com...

The reality is that money, indeed wealth, doesn't exist. Just people who spend and people who store up. And all that is stored up eventually gets spent, either by government repossession or an inheritor who enjoys spending more than his ancestor.

Hmmm lol it's that simple huh? Money is a tool of power and control. It's what keep those at the top at the top, and those of us at the bottom on the bottom. Capitalism is simply the private ownership of the means of production, but without money it could not work. People didn't use money like we do now before capitalism become the dominant economic system.

With worker ownership money would become unnecessary, because we would be free to produce what we need with no social restrictions. Life shouldn't be about profiting from others, struggling to make money to purchase what we need in a market of artificial scarcity, and control of resources for profit not need.

People like me don't have to worry about that. We do our civil service jobs and get paid. Because someone always needs us. Power to the prosumer.

OK, not sure what that has to with it.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Wow so naive. The only way we can save our economy is through worker ownership. It's more relevant now than it's ever been.

Workers form unions. Unions form leaders. Leaders become dictators. Worker ownership is impossible with genetic diversity. A few simply end up better than the rest. Every time.

No it doesn't. Surplus value is what the owner takes in profit.

That's not a reply. That's a statement of faith. Profit is spent or stored. When it is stored, either the government takes it, or the heir. It eventually gets spent.

Hmmm lol it's that simple huh? Money is a tool of power and control. It's what keep those at the top at the top, and those of us at the bottom on the bottom. Capitalism is simply the private ownership of the means of production, but without money it could not work. People didn't use money like we do now before capitalism become the dominant economic system.

Behold American Capitalism. Where every value is made up, and no dollar value matters. Money is created through debt. Debt is profit. It's valueless. It is nothing more, and nothing less, than a statement of dedication to the system. At some point in time, that became profit. To keep the cash flow going. Through debt.

With worker ownership money would become unnecessary, because we would be free to produce what we need with no social restrictions. Life shouldn't be about profiting from others, struggling to make money to purchase what we need in a market of artificial scarcity, and control of resources for profit not need.

Until the Christians with their morality stopped you, or the atheists with their desecration of art...or through art. Unless you homogenize society, your dream is impossible and irrelevant.

My life is not a struggle. My life isn't about profit. My life is about delivering professional standards of care and keeping with state regulation. I am a civil servant in-the-making. An architect. My only care is to perform as the state demands, and to consume as I need. Profit is irrelevant. scarcity is irrelevant. I make a design, the state provides. The state demands, I provide. It is a simple arrangement for an enjoyable life.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join