It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Americans Really Lack The Ability to Have a Global Perpective?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

Baseball's "World Series" is a good indicator how messed up the American perspective really is ...

HAH ive often said this too lol, worlds series lol. world champion boxing, world wrestling federation, lol

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomwv

I get so tired sometimes having to prove that I am not a `stupid American` just to be able to get though daily life without being treated like I am total fool. People hear the southern accent and find out I am American and the `look at the stupid America! Let`s mock him endlessly` begins. That is the stereotype I have to deal with because the lack of global perspective which dominates American society.

forgot to add, i dont have to be out of the country to hear a southern accent and think this, im a yank ^9 (j/k) /hugs

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Having been to Japan, I have to agree with that. The Japanese do tend to think that, and who can blame them? In Tokyo, most of the Americans they meet are either tourists (and it's hard not to seem stupid as a tourist, ha ha) or they're military members from the nearby base in Yokosuka. I was in the Navy, and unfortunately, a lot of my shipmates were ignorant to other cultures, no matter what the command tried to tell us. Me, I mainly just tried to be polite, and I really enjoyed Japan, both times I went there. The Japanese are the most friendly, and polite culture I have come in contact with. Unfortunately, most nations of the world only have the same experiences to base their opinion of us on. I remember one time, when I stopped to help a Japanese family who had decided to rent a car and tour Route 66. I was on my way home from work when I saw a car on the side of the road, steam rolling out of the open hood. This was before cell phones were as common as today, and I did not have one. I stopped, and met the Fujiwara family. a very nice group of people. They had blown a radiator hose, and though they had only been there a few minutes, were terrified that they wouldn't receive any help. I talked with the father, and then took them to a nearby motel and helped them contact their rental agency. They would have to wait until the next day to get their car back. I called my parents from the motel and told them why I wasn't home yet, and my mother had them invite them to dinner. They told us how what they had learned about Americans was wrong, and we still keep in contact with them. Nice people. I only wish other Americans would do the polite thing, maybe the world view of us would change.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne

Originally posted by votan

People from other countries have the same problem. it is not exclusive to americans. why do you feel that you need to isolate americans and believe they are the only ones like this.

Or maybe you have proved your point by only seeing this problem in americans... because you too lack a global perspective view.

Nice ad hominem attack without addressing the issue at hand

Do you know the % of Americans holding a passport for international travel? When you find out compare that number to other countries. Case closed.

That's kind of unfair, considering International travel is pretty expensive, and the majority of Americans can't afford it. Also, maybe if you would state some of the percentages of other countries, instead of America bashing, maybe you're argument would seem less ignorant.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave_welch

People from other countries have the same problem. it is not exclusive to americans. why do you feel that you need to isolate americans and believe they are the only ones like this.

Or maybe you have proved your point by only seeing this problem in americans... because you too lack a global perspective view.

Do you know the % of Americans holding a passport for international travel? When you find out compare that number to other countries. Case closed.

That's kind of unfair, considering International travel is pretty expensive, and the majority of Americans can't afford it. Also, maybe if you would state some of the percentages of other countries, instead of America bashing, maybe you're argument would seem less ignorant.

Thanks for confirming the stereotype. I won't do the work for you, but there is something called "google" that people use for research ...

And no, it ain't too expensive traveling to Canada, or Mexico. They are not US states ...

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

Unless you live in a border state you have to travel much further than most people in Europe do just to reach another country. I would wager that residents of California, New York and even Michigan are more likely to have passports just due to proximity than those residents of states further inland. Honestly have you ever even bothered to look at all the ways that American society has adapted and incorporated parts of other cultures , not just where they are historically ingrained but across the nation? S t. Patrick's day, cinco de mayo, oktoberfest, celebrated across the country by people of all walks of life and heritage. It's easy to stereotype and attack an entire populace without ever acknowledging the positive attributes they possess. Do you also judge all Mexicans by the actions of their drug cartels or the Brazilians on their waxing and dancing as portrayed by Hollywood?

Hollywood loves to portray most Americans, especially those outside of California/New York/DC as ignorant, uncultured and intolerant. It goes beyond bias and speaks more of the producers and screenwriters disconnect from society outside their sphere of influence. They see themselves as the pinnacle of humanity and portray everyone not like themselves as inferior. That is the image of most Americans they send out to the world, 95% stupid, 4% crazy, 1% superhero.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

How absolutely moronic of you. There's a couple countries with landmass exceeding that of the US, Canada and Russia, and China is awful close. Do you really think the Chinese and Russians have a vastly higher percentage of citizens with passports? Go look it up 8>D Point of fact, Americans can do an awful lot of travelling without needing one because the place is huge, just like China and Russia. So keep flailing (or should I say failing) away. And try not to get so upset that the US is more interesting than most other places. It's not our fault, we just live here 8>D

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Twice, I replied and had my words deleted, due to some kind of error. Anyway, I just wanted to say, awesome thread! Tell the truth no matter who is listening...no matter who gets offended...no matter who spontaneous combusts all over the place!

Your objectivity is inspiring in a world that believes everything it is fed from the TV

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

I do agree to some of your post, however, there is much I do not agree with. With my job, and before when I was in college, I've had to the opportunity to live, work, and study abroad. From Canada to Chile, Europe, Africa, and many Asian nations I have visited, the conclusion of Americans as stupid or evil depends on geography, religion, and history. Also, generation and family are in the deciding factor of what people think.

I just got back a month ago from a four year stint in Greece, Poland, Denmark, and the UK. Because of where I work involves military personnel and bases, I can get the extremes of anti-American sentiment and disgust (though it only happened when I was in a nation that is "democratic", though it's more a tyranny of a majority due to religious and extreme conservative laws that is not voted on as it supersedes all laws due to religious values) as well as being treated as family. What I find odd is that countries that were eastern block behind-the-curtain "commies" seem to have more people with pro-American attitude than those who have been long term allies.

As I have had the opportunity to speak with so many people for business and social reasons, such as going to the local pub or events, I always inquire people and groups on where they have lived, visited, and who they work for. After this small talk I find it fascinating to ask if they would like to visit the United States and what do they think about American people, culture, and Government. Also, I find it best to ask when people have been drinking for the fact that I seem to get a more direct and honest answer. I have been told that Americans are stupid because the way how they treat other countries if demands are not met or how Americans flaunt their "illegally obtained" riches, or x, y, and z. In most cases I change their mind of American people and show them that their view is based on what the American government and their media portrays Americans. In reality, I am not deceiving them in any way as the vast majority of why people either dislike Americans is due to this reason.

In the sense of the media, I have seen countless instances of journalists/Reporters/etc report a story that are twisted due to personal bias or opinion on American foreign and domestic affairs. Lets be honest, we all have seen this from local news about city council races to national news. An example of this was when I was watching a local station in Greece around the time of the American military withdrawal from Iraq and was shocked when the journalist stated the "War for oil in Iraq" rather than "Iraq war". Obviously, this would entice some anger toward the US, and more specific the American people.

Moving on, I explain that there are assholes in every country that try and decorate themselves with overbearing jewelry. Everywhere we go we see people who do this, not just US. I also go into "The real housewives of..." or "Kim Kardashian this" is not how most people dress or act. It's entertaining television to most as it shows snobby, spoiled trash that I am sad to say are Americans. As for wars, I must disagree with the assumption that you wrote about how the commander-in-chief was the only entity that wanted to go to war. Yes, he was one of the many people who pushed others for the invasion of Iraq due to faulty intelligence. I don't know to blame him for the intelligence or not since it is not clear as other foreign intelligence agencies claimed the same conclusion. Claiming that Bush was the only person wanting to go to war is inaccurate as both Congress and the UN authorized military action, and in many cases pushed for action. The bottom line is that when it comes down to it, caviar eating politicians pushed for this as well others who were mislead to do so.

When it comes to military action, this is the hot subject when talking to people from other nations. We both agree that most every country with power has a problem using the military. Both when they should but don't (with Genocide in Africa or when politicians try and find ways not to go to war with genocidal regimes by calling genocide "Ethnic cleansing" due to "Genocide" is mandated that countries will go to war to stop such atrocities. Bottom line is that most other nations resentment against America is due to politicians and politics, when are incorrectly reflected on American people. I could write on and on about this and may later on as there are many other views as to why American people are disliked.

Please let me know if you get the same reactions/replies from people, as well as some unique reasons of resentment. I may write out about foreigners who like us and why. Wow, a few beers and 5000 words later.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join