It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Motor Trend' names Tesla Model S as Car of the Year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
This one shocked me..

I am just taking this at face value since I don't have a clue if MT's "Car of the Year" process is influenced in any way..

This would have to be one of the bright spots of the green money spent by the current administration since Tesla was awarded a sizable sum..

www.usatoday.com

In a move sure to shock the auto world, Motor Trend has named a startup company's plug-in electric vehicle as its coveted Car of the Year. The winner: Tesla's Model S sedan.

What's more, it wasn't even close: Motor Trend says it was first time time "in memory" that every judge agreed. In order to win for 2013, the Tesla had to beat luxury sedans like Lexus GS and BMW 3 Series and sports car like Porsche 911 and Subaru BRZ.

Still nowhere near affordable, but looks to be a step in the right direction. The big deterrent for me living in a rural area (besides the cost), is range.. at 200+ miles per charge, it's something that makes an electric vehicle feasible.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I wonder with electric cars in the frigid cold of canada going to -30 how well do those electric batteries actually work .
I remember from when I was in sheet metal my drill didn't hold a charge worth a crap nor did anyone else cordless tools .

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave
I wonder with electric cars in the frigid cold of canada going to -30 how well do those electric batteries actually work .
I remember from when I was in sheet metal my drill didn't hold a charge worth a crap nor did anyone else cordless tools .

I think they'll figure something out as they better their manufacturing process. Exciting to see how this will go.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

well from what I read they are top of the line batteries and hold many patents for their cells . However the cars are built in sunny California .

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Very cool!

Good name choice...though to suit its name-sake, perhaps it should run on the aethers...

∞LOVE
mayallsoulsbefree∞

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Very cool!

Good name choice...though to suit its name-sake, perhaps it should run on the aethers...

∞LOVE
mayallsoulsbefree∞

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I cannot see how a move to more electrically powered vehicles is going to help the environment because most of the electricity of the world is still produced in fossil fuel fired power stations. It could be offset of course if fossil fuel power stations are replaced by nuclear ones. Until such time as most eletrical power is produced from sustainable sources the net benefit to the environment is negligible while we still live in unsustania.
edit on 12-11-2012 by hotel1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-11-2012 by hotel1 because: in is

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

We also have Hydro
edit on 12/11/12 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave
reply to post by hotel1

We also have Hydro
edit on 12/11/12 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

That is true but its overall contribution particularly in my UK home is still comparatively small

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
That car is so awesome!!! I remember seeing all the stats on it earlier this year and was like wow!! I cant wait to see these drop to 25k range as eluded to in the news piece.

I read with in the next 5 years they could drop as low as 25k If production cost and efficiency catch up with the tech and infrastructure is built. 25k is way more reasonable for avg people, than 55k,

If they could ever get a fully electric car that does 500 mpc (miles per charge) for 20k it could be 1# seller in the nation in 10 years. provided they can do the build out on charging stations along all major hi ways and in small and large towns alike.

we need electric and NG cars to take over as our main transport and cold fusion released to the public.

We need solar panels on every home and wind turbines on top of every street light and power pole in the nation. USE the infrastructure we have. we can do it if we have a steady slow effort we need to treat the energy issue we face like we did during WWII language like "its ur civil duty and patriotic to become energy independent and move away from fossil fuels" We need more politicians talking like this.
edit on 13-11-2012 by pez1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
nice. it looks a little like a Porsche or 280 BUT WITH ALL 4 DOORS

priced better than the roadster and I like it better. it's as cool as the little electric van

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This vehicle is huge step in the right direction at last...

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
hmmm...
I guess the automobile establishment cartel will have to kill more Teslas engineers.
edit on 13-11-2012 by eagleeye2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-11-2012 by eagleeye2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Affordability isn't on the scoring card is it?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Top honors went to the Volkswagen Up! which was declared the World Car of the Year. It beat out 34 other models as well as two finalists - the BMW 3-Series and Porsche 911 - to win the prestigious award.

Source

I would never consider buying a Tesla, even if my surname was Rothschild.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
This vehicle is huge step in the right direction at last...

Is it just me or does that look like a Aston Martin?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Yay! A car that barley anyone I know can afford is car of the year!

I take TopGear UK's recomendations more seriously than Motor Trend.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Still way way too pricey for me, but its a lovely thing. Both in the styling and in the engineering.

If I had the cash i'd seriously think about it. First electric car I can say that about.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I don`t see why this model gets so much credit. The car is expensive for the quality of the materials utilized and the technology is nothing special too.

Now, that`s a real electric car, made with the best materials out there, the Mercedes SLS AMG Electric

Mercedes SLS AMG
edit on 13-11-2012 by hououinkyouma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
That red one looks different than the white one. Or maybe I am just going blind but the white one looked way sportier to me. I'll have to check that out again later.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join