Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Officer killed while trying to help motorist.

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
This is a tragic story and if someone happens to be in this area, it's current breaking news for the vehicle. The link has the full description and info on that at the source.

A Henry County police officer assisting a stranded motorist died Monday night after being a struck by hit-and-run driver.

The officer, whose name was not released, was assisting a motorist on North Henry Boulevard, near the Starlite skate center in Stockbridge, around 6:40 p.m., according to Sgt. Joey Smith with the Henry County Police Department.

Another motorist also stopped to help, and the officer and second motorist were both struck by a truck that kept going, according to police.
Source - More info

I'd sure hope anyone that saw a thing like this would at least get information of the vehicle which did it. Maybe no one was around though. The second motorist who stopped to help did survive it which is one good thing.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Oh that is awful ! I hope the cam corder on the dash of the cruser was running and caught it all on tape. I so feel badly for the family, and this guy was helping someone.....People suck. Our society is getting worse.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

That is a sad story. Surely it was someone that was driving under the influence. I hope they are caught right away. There was damage to the car, someone will turn him in...hopefully.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
That's really sad. I feel for the officers family and also for the second motorist that had stopped to help. Very sad situation and I hope the hit and run driver is found and prosecuted.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have never understood drunk drivers and their seeming tendency to aim for the 'flashy lights' or whatever the heck it is. I saw some weird things as a trucker and this area has lost 2 state troopers in drunk and/or fatigued drivers just running right into them at pre-existing accident scenes.

I just recently started listening to the scanner around here via the radio reference site as background and it's been an eye opener. Not so much what cops call in as it is the calls dispatch forwards from citizens reporting drunks. I hadn't thought there were so many.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
If its not drunk drivers than it's someone texting while driving...either way you gotta watch your butt while driving. This past week I have been almost side shipped twice by someone texting while driving...this guy or gal that hit the officer could have been texting?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

You know, you're absolutely right about that. Texting is also possible and I admit it's not the first thing to come to mind but maybe it should be. It is a growing issue around here. Now that you mention it, one of the students in my animation course is doing her term project as a movie about the dangers of it. It should be interesting to see. I have enough trouble texting while sitting at a desk.

I couldn't imagine trying while driving. Full size satellite keyboards in the trucks took practice and those were essentially mounted and set up for that.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Alcoholism is a disease. But that still doesn't excuse drunk drivers. I knew an electrician back in the early 60s who was out on bail awaiting trial for vehicular homicide in a drunk driving incident. Before he went to trial on the first charge he drove drunk again and killed two more people. I don't know what we can do about people like that but revoking their license doesn't work because the electrician I mentioned already had his license revoked for the first incident before he killed two more people in the second incident.

And then there was the young lady I saw doing at least 75MPH in a 55MPH zone on the interstate who had her visor down so she could use her mirror to curl her eyelashes with one of those crimping (torture) devices we guys have occasionally seen women use. I told my wife about it and she replied that she would kill me if I even sat down on the bed next to her when she was doing that. She couldn't imagine someone doing it at 75MPH in a car.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Texting while driving should be outlawed in all states...but ..just my opinion....I remember when I was kid, all the adults used to complain about people smoking while driving and not paying attention...now it's texting...alcohol has always been an issue.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
My money is on the driver being stone cold sober and just at his limit with police brutality.
edit on 12-11-2012 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

That is funny. I feel guilty for chuckling at such a horrible event but still....

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Perhaps in terms of enforcement it ought to simply be distracted driving and that can be determined in court for the defense if someone is seriously injured or killed.

I mean on non-DUI cases. Those are self evident of course and stories across the news of guys with multiple cases are obscene. Incidentally, in searching for more info on this story I came across this for a DUI Resource. It's got an INCREDIBLE amount of state by state DUI statistics.

Over the years of trucking I did see a lot though (and yes....Truckers CAN see straight down to the floorboards of both the driver and passenger side.) The family rated things though were scary. From people eating what looked like a 2-3 course friggen meal across multiple Styrofoam containers like their car was a buffet or something.....to people changing pants (always a fun one to consider....at some point, absolutely no way exists to hit the brake pedal and likely for 2-3 seconds.) to the occasional complete accident on wheels trying to read a newspaper and drive at the same time. That was a favorite to see in Los Angeles more than most places. At 55mph, it's scary indeed.

The Federal Government had a solution to this for Commercial truckers:

A regulation in 2010 banned all drivers of commercial vehicles from texting behind the wheel and implemented severe penalties for those who continue to text. The employer of a texting truck driver could be fined as much as $11,000 while the driver could face fines up to $2,500. Additionally, a texting truck driver could lose their CDL license—and thus their livelihood, for up to four months. The DOT went a step further, banning all truck drivers from talking on a cell phone while driving unless they were using a hands-free device. This ban was a direct result of the more than 5,000 fatalities attributed to trucking accidents involving a distracted truck driver in 2009 alone.
Source

Make the fine big enough and it's not revenue collection for cheap shots anymore. It's a real way to stop the problem..

I hadn't really got to thinking about this much until this thread, but those regulations came out shortly before I got off the road. It had a VERY strong chilling effect where I worked, actually.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Although I cannot stand it when people are on their phones talking or texting while driving, I do not think it would be a reason to run from the scene of an accident where someone was struck. IMO there would be two reasons for someone to hit and run: One- they had a warrant out for their arrest, or Two- they were doing something illegal (driving under the influence, or had something illegal in their car)
edit on 12-11-2012 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by VforVendettea

That is funny. I feel guilty for chuckling at such a horrible event but still....

At first I was angry when I read you reply. After thinking it over I feel sorry for your parents and anyone around you. Death is not funny.

So many people are lacking basic empathy in this world. The very thing you hate you have become. This cop could have been the nicest guy in the world for all you know. But even if he was not it is not reason to laugh.

I have seen other people who think like this in my life. And the poor people that have to be around it suffer the most.
edit on 13-11-2012 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Unfortunately, I'm sure for some people out there, hitting someone is enough to hit-and-run. Many people are easily frightened and morally weak. When applied to putting their feet up against the fire and admitting wrong doing, I would say many don't have it in 'em. I just don't have faith in people doing the right thing, especially nowadays.

new topics

top topics

join