It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I find the lack of media coverage disturbing.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39

Originally posted by Kodiac12
I just think there is bigger things going on at the moment, but I'd say around December there may be some noise. On the other hand, It's around probably the biggest holiday of the year and not much, if anything will be said from msm until the 21st.

My prediction... Nothing catastrophic will happen this year and almost everyone will still be alive come 2013.
edit on 13-11-2012 by Kodiac12 because: typo

There is a good point there. Hyping stories that will not have any effect on their ability to sell ad space and in fact may bring in more readers of those ads is, for the media, a good thing. But promoting an event that may discourage people from buying from those advertisers, and in their most important selling season yet, would be financial suicide for them. Their advertisers, once they figured out what was happening, would pull their ads at near light speed and place them where they would not be seen by a public scared out of their buying minds.

Exactly.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Maybe because nothing will happen on that date??? its a possibility.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AudioOne

The 5-5-00 alignment had books as well. Some were good sellers. For example:
We are the Earthquake Generation by Jeffery Goodman

Here is a NASA comment on the alignment just as they have commented about 2012 wacko claims.
nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

There was a TV show called Millennium which discussed the alignment.

Here they mention that books written and survival gear sold.
www.tkcs-collins.com...

And here the issue made the MSM
archives.cnn.com...

So you missed this issue which had 23 years of play before it was seen by the wait and see crowd as a failure. The 2012 story is one about the same length of time, around a quarter century of silliness.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I like you're thinking, OP. I would think this doomsday prediction date could have been a cash cow. It does seem to be a profitable opportunity lost. But as others have posted, the gain to be had from whipping up a "prepping" frenzy would not be as great as the money to be made with the usual holiday spending.

TPTB have no interest in/nothing to gain from any number of us useless eaters being prepared to survive any emergency. But, as someone else wrote, they do have a desire to wring every last penny out of us before those pennies are completely worthless.

Still, with all the peculiar weather; "atmospheric anomalies" (sounds, sights, explosions); bizarre truck hijackings of, as one member pointed out, items you might use to stock bunkers if you were out of time to load up on via purchasing; global economic turmoil, that could be looked at as governments behaving with fiscal abandon because they have foreknowledge of there being no consequences for doing so; the rumored sealing of the seedbank in Norway; the alleged uptick in construction of bunkers for private and government customers; and all of the freaky murals at DIA and BoA, and just the general weirdness that is DIA -- it all makes me pause and wonder.

Maybe the MSM is whistling past the graveyard, or playing the move along, nothing to see here game by not "reporting" on 2012.

Related to what someone else wrote about making the movie 2012 to fictionalize and thus defuse any concern that there is any chance that any of this is real, it seems the show Doomsday Preppers has decided to take that approach to "prepping" as well.

The show used to be interesting, not too many completely out there people that they featured. It was actually like some documentary works on the "prepping phenomenon". This season's premiere, however, seems to insinuate that preppers and prepping really is just a freak show. Coincidence? dunno Speculation? yes.

Neat site which timelines failed apocryphal predictions
www.abhota.info...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I imagine a few things, but mainly burnout. The problem is, people have been hearing about it for years. It became big years back, so the media has done stories on it (documentaries, comedy, even a full length movie for gods sake!). After hearing all of this, without anything new and compelling, I imagine viewers just don't care anymore, thus the media isn't going to show it. I remember at least in australia we've had a few scattered stories on our major networks throughout the year, and regular jokes about it being the year. But yeah, I honestly think it's just because people got sick and tired of hearing about it!

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Well I stand corrected. Somehow I missed that one.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I've seen a crap load shows on the history channel about 2012 apocalypse, Jessie Ventura did a show on 2012, and not to mention a crap load of online articles about it. One huge reason MSN isn't talking about it is because they have huge money making topics right now like the election, benghazi, general petraeus affair, Sandy, Israel and the middle east, ect. so why cover something that's probably not going to happen and I doubt 2012 doomsday is going to make them as much money as real huge issues going on right now.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AudioOne

It is easy to miss these things AudioOne since there are so many of these doom and gloom issues. What is interesting to me is how quickly the 5-5-00 claims went away and as you clearly know have disappeared into obscurity. Will 2012 be the same? I think it might. It has already fizzled to a great degree.

Another less well known situation was the 2003 Mars event when it was pretty close to Earth. There were all sorts of bozo claims that the Earth was being torn to pieces by Mars. I even met a guy headed to northern Quebec that was hoping to skip the coming destruction.

That was discussed online and on the radio. Not aware of any books that were written.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
That's because 2012 is total BS. Think of it, a 2012 phase starts, media sees an opportunity to make money, media decides to shoot programs, "documentaries", and even movies. People are interested in the "end of the world" type stuff, so they pay to watch and listen to it. Eventually 2012 ran out of interested people and the media/producers weren't making enough money. So they stopped focusing on 2012 phase and moved on to the next. Why put money into something that people aren't even interested anymore? It's kind of like all the demon and supernatural movies coming out, eventually paranormal activity's demon face is going to get old, it already is. But, people still watch these movies, and the media keeps on producing them until their rates go down. Its all about making $$ these days.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Here's some media coverage.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
People made a big deal about Y2K, but guess what - They had good reason to. While it went mainly without a hitch, the Y2K concern did end up being a real one in a few different instances, that day.

This Dec 21st, 2012 thing marks the end of an ancient calender which we do not use - This doesn't equate to the end of anything else other than that calender.

There is little point in the media covering this as doing so would only set people into panic mode, and for what?
A Theory the world might end?

So, what I am saying is the Y2K concern was worth reporting. Raptures and other theoretical events not backed by tangible concerns is not.

See you Dec 22nd.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65

The Galactic alignment is an interesting phenomena, but I do not see how that could in any way effect life on this planet. I don't know much about astronomy or astrophysics, but I don't think there will be a "gravity well" or whatever they call it from an alignment.

Considering the same alignment happens every year on December 21st, I think it's safe to say it won't have any effect we haven't seen before.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mahatche

I was waiting for someone to FINALLY point this out. Good on you!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Most likely it is to avoid panic. Remember Y2K? People actually panicked even though the media stated the actual reason for Y2K and that there was no need to panic, maybe they learned their lesson? It is my belief that if anything happens this December, it won't be much of an immediate change. Maybe they know it is nothing? Why put people into a panic unnecessarily?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
This has been my favorite media about it so far, since it involves the I Ching and Timewave theory.

Can't wait until Dec. 20, to see how many start freaking out.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by yubiaden
This has been my favorite media about it so far, since it involves the I Ching

I Ching.... the sound cash registers make for people peddling 2012 nonsense!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Y2k was all hype. There was no good reason for it being as big as it was, other than the sales opportunity to get business. I saw y2k compliant vcrs, dvd players. some computer stores did teh same thing. it iwas pretty retarded.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by votan
reply to post by Sek82

Y2k was all hype. There was no good reason for it being as big as it was, other than the sales opportunity to get business. I saw y2k compliant vcrs, dvd players. some computer stores did teh same thing. it iwas pretty retarded.

There were still "survivalists" who were preparing for the whole world to come to a stop. I found an old commercial sewing machine that was foot pedal operated at the curb and sold it for $200.00 to a couple who believed that all the computers would fail to recognize the date and shut down everything from the water system to the whole power grid. I laughed all the way to the bank.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by votan
Y2k was all hype. There was no good reason for it being as big as it was, other than the sales opportunity to get business.

I worked for a large Telco during it, and they spent millions on testing all applications for it. Some people made a bucket load of money. In fact if the company had done nothing, waited for some applications to fail then only patch those effected they would have saved millions! It was mostly hype.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Believe me something is going to happen on December 21 or maybe next year it is not normal so many big quakes around the world.

There are a lot of strange things around the world, something big is coming and the media don't want that there is people running everywhere because of mass hysteria.

Right now I am awake because a big quake has hit Mexico, it is reported of 6.3 but it felt like an 8.5 quake, too strong for a 6.3 quake.

This quake felt stronger than the 7.4 quake ( first reported of 7.8 ) of march 20, 2012

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join