It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

groundbreaking microscopic thread that could let us plug our brain into a computer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

groundbreaking microscopic thread that could let us plug our brain into a computer

www.dailymail.co.uk...

It may look like any other thread, but this thin, flexible electrode could help radically improve our knowledge of the brain - and create far better interfaces between humans and computers.
It is a thread of highly conductive carbon fiber, coated in plastic, and is so small it can be placed next to individual neurons to 'listen' to them.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12-11-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

The conductive gel pad at the end is placed up against soft cell membranes, and that close connection means the signals from brain cells come in much clearer

This kind of technology could eventually be used to send signals to prosthetic limbs, overcoming inflammation larger electrodes cause that damages both the brain and the electrodes

amazing stuff

so as we enter the matrix....im pretty gobsmacked that the ideology can be concieved

plugging a brain into a computer...comming soon lol.....wow

imagine if they get to the point where you can download your conciousness...!

call of duty anyone

www.dailymail.co.uk...(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-11-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

I think this is wonderful news!

Just imagine how something like this could be used to help stroke patients or those with debilitating brain injuries. The possibilities are endless.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The implications of such a biotech advance are both amazing and frightening. The beneficial aspects will impact those who can't speak, write, see, or hear...not to mention the abilities that will be improved for amputees. The more I think of the medical/sensory capabilities of such a device I am feeling less frightened but suspicious is in my nature and there are folks out there who mean to do us harm. How long after this technology is perfected and operational will it be until the first brain-hacking happens? I'm now going to rewatch the anime classic, "Ghost in the Shell."

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I used to play a RP (yes I know I am a nerd) called cyberpunk 2020 en.wikipedia.org...
and the amount of things that were in this game which are coming to reality is scaring me a bit.
It had this topic included plus robot arms etc.

Wow I wonder if they can download my brain one day into a computer? or all our brains to make a super collective human wonder computer
S&F dude.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

hey monkey magic!!

untill they make a hover board...the future will always seem a million miles away

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
awesome, till you get a virus and it corrupts data on the hard drive, aka your brain, im all set with tapping any part of my body into the system. verichip, who needs a chip when you brain is the tracking device, ^^.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
It would be awesome to one day somehow download your active dream onto an external hard drive device for later viewing.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I love how everyone always goes to The Matrix when talking about plugging into computers, when in reality, The Matrix was more akin to sophisticated virtual reality worlds; Ghost in the Shell did it first and its futurist vision covered human-computer interfacing with prosthetics in ways The Matrix never dreamed of

/pop culture snob

Awesome, things like this mean that we may see prosthetic replacements that are virtually indistinguishable from the real things within our lifetimes.
edit on 11/12/2012 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I already believe our minds are a human computer,,and I believe more know this to so in my eyes this article is just like a wake up call to get people thinking ' Is this possible?? hmm I wonder'

We have to wake up fully and know we hold everything we need to know

~Alienmindflare~

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
I love how everyone always goes to The Matrix when talking about plugging into computers, when in reality, The Matrix was more akin to sophisticated virtual reality worlds; Ghost in the Shell did it first and its futurist vision covered human-computer interfacing including with prosthetics in ways The Matrix never dreamed of

/pop culture snob.

I agree. This all brought this movie to mind:

Awesome, things like this mean that we may see prosthetic replacements that are virtually indistinguishable from the real things within our lifetimes.

I think this is wonderful, too! I have a couple of friends that are amputees, and this would make the quality of their lives so much better!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by cconn487
It would be awesome to one day somehow download your active dream onto an external hard drive device for later viewing.

Forgot all about that aspect; I remember there being advancements in visual interpretation(dream to computer screen) earlier this year and last year. This will only further the progress towards having a Dream DVR one day... can't wait.
edit on 11/12/2012 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I can see it very useful for handicapped, but we need to make sure we're not in their hands like puddy any longer, seeing as they're really arch villians and need to be in jail, actually trusting and hooking ourselves into their systems like this or microchipping is the LAST thing on earth we need right now.

What really needs to happen, priorities is: feed the poor and provide homes and gardens for every single person on earth wihtout expectation of slavery. Number 1. Stop killing in wars, women and children and stop using fossil fuels but insist on clean tech. Number 2. Protect and serve nature and help it recover. Number 3. Fire them and arrest them and try them for their slavery and crimes against humanity. Number 4.

And nothing else matters. This needs to be done before we dot another I or cross another T.

Then the clean advanced tech can be explored providing it doesn't put us into submission to anything or anyone.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

I like the way you're thinking. Ghost in the Shell(as I mentioned above as well) is, imho, the most accurate and easy to understand bridge for the metaphysical interpretations of digitized brains and cybernetic evolution. The Matrix is nothing more than an analogy for the willing denial of individuality that we are subjected to through subversive advertisement and the systematic destruction of proper education.

Ghost in the Shell is worth a watch for any futurist or those who explore the infinite realms of human thought.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Then the clean advanced tech can be explored providing it doesn't put us into submission to anything or anyone.

You're never going to escape that possibility.

Private corporations and public entities alike all want you and your information for various reasons; there's actually a lot of works of fiction out there where they've extrapolated dystopian futures where governments cease to exist entirely or serve as a facade to warring corporations.

There will always be exploiters and userers; the only way to avoid them is to use anything and everything that never connects to any sort of internet.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Makes you wonder, how big a step is it to be able to create learning programs (like The Matrix) in order to learn new skills? Gimme some of that ninja stuff anyday

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by BishopNGreen

I feel exactly the same way about stuff such as this, where there is the potential for absolutely amazing things at the same time where our most dark suspicions and fears arise. Just as with nanotechnology that could turn our lives in a dream utopia or a miserable hell.

tough subject to discuss.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

I think you will find William Gibson wrote about it all first.
Father of cyberpunk.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
Makes you wonder, how big a step is it to be able to create learning programs (like The Matrix) in order to learn new skills? Gimme some of that ninja stuff anyday

its crazy that you can get a computer signal from a neutron...write a simple code so the "noise" can mean something....then you have the square, triangle, X and circle off of the playstation pad.....thatl only be four signals
and you can [lay a catalogue of games lol

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
If virtual reality video games like Sword art online come around in my lifetime i'll be happy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join