It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is NOT a T.V, You Have To Do SOME Reading....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Seriously why is it that people refuse to read threads? It doesn't stop them from writing on it. I would even be ok if some members claimed to be psychics and didn't have to read it, but even then they would have to be on topic.

Id like to say this is just a member problem, but this is some mods as well. Come on guys, this isn't a pop-up book, this ATS where people want to write things and express themselves, is it really that difficult to just read a little bit?

Even if you don't understand, ask, that's what the OP is there for. Even if 30 members come in and say "that's not the topic", still right after that, off topic again.

Please guys, even if you dont agree, at least read, bring different info, add a link, something, but jeez, read it first!!

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
What did you write?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

On my first post on here I got the responses- "You wrote way too much to read, I don't have an hour blah blah..' 'Wall of text, can you shorten & summarize?' Things like that.

And I continue to see comments like that when posters have written more than a paragraph! It gets old!!
I feel your rant.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
People dont' read because that means they'd actually have to READ.

I see this too. It annoys me to no end. I saw it recently in a thread I commented on. Another thing that drives me nuts is when people comment on something and call it bogus or crap yet they have NEVER even read about the topic on their own. That one kills me! How can you comment on something you know nothing of and call those who actually study it nuts when they have taken the time to study the subject?!

Too many people on here think it's FB anymore. They have to have that witty comment to get stars. Stars are crap and people seem to need self gratification online like they do in school as a child so they make a comment to get attention not to actually discuss something.

I have however learned over the yrs to just ignore it even if it drives me insane inside. I keep my mouth shut and click past it. I so miss the "ignore" feature. I'd have a lot of people on ignore so I wouldn't have to see their posts that never contribute only insult and some are long time members who should know better!

BTW I loved your reptilian thread

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Katharos62191

On my first post on here I got the responses- "You wrote way too much to read, I don't have an hour blah blah..' 'Wall of text, can you shorten & summarize?' Things like that.

And I continue to see comments like that when posters have written more than a paragraph! It gets old!!
I feel your rant.

Haha yea those comments make me laugh. Why come to a forum if you want to be lazy. It has taken me MONTHS to read some threads because I go thru every link esp when it's a topic I enjoy and am interested in.

If I come across a thread that has a long OP and lots of links or vids I will either save it for later in the evening for my reading time or get comfy with a pillow and blanket and some milk
and read away. I am one who enjoys reading though. I just wish I could read faster lol I never have enough time to read everything I enjoy!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I see this happens in a few threads iv come across the last couple of days, Sometimes when i make a thread i add colorfulness pictures, to add to the story.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Yeah I wrote a thread it had everything, info, a bit of necessary thought, videos, charts, links, and still 6 pages in it got moved to the wrong place, and there are about 2 pages worth of people being completely off topic, not just a little, but it means that they didnt read anything, they just looked at pictures.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I totally agree, chocolate SHOULD be mandatory.

In all seriousness, people not reading the OP and/or checking which forum it is in bugs the hell out of me too!
I posted a joke picture thing once, in the joke section (shocking I know!) and I got berated by someone who thought I was being serious because they didn't bother to check the forum my thread was in

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I think I know which thread that is. That subject gets peoples panties all in a bunch. If it's the one I'm thinking of the forum it's in is where threads on that subject get move to.

If it is the thread I'm thinking of I loved it. I didn't comment because I don't really comment on that topic on here because of what you described. I personally enjoyed your thread on it
When I saw it and that is was yours I said to myself "I knew NRE was cool!"

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Thanks mblah, I mean I get that the subject matter would get moved.... but only if you read the first paragraph, after that it is pretty self explanatory, that is the opposite of what most think.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ScorpioRising

Haha that's like when people complain about rants IN the rant forum! It's like hey did you see the forum you were in! I personally love the rant forum, keeps me from being banned

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I agree, even on other forums besides ATS, it's extremely annoying when someone completely goes off topic. Sure, say something random-ish to keep the topic going, but still - reply about the OP. UFO sighting threads do not need pictures of LOLcats.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I think you are out of the line here. First when you make a thread and include issues or pictures you DON`T want to discuss about, either have anything to BACK them up, don´t include them. You most likely wanted to spice your thread a bit but they took away the credibility. Maybe you did wanted to talk about those unconciously but didn´t like the feedback your thread received.

I did read your thread completely, i even read every single reply too. And i know what you were after with that thread it just disagree and i have right to do so.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
My pet peeve are those who comment on the thread title alone, they can't even make it past the title.

It's somewhat satisfying calling them out on it though, kind of like those people who comment on a video that is 20 minutes long when the thread has only been up for 2 minutes.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
It only gets worse when they get called out, even if it happens by others. They still feel like because they misunderstood it, or don't like your writing style, then its your at fault.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I know what you mean, OP. But there are certain members on here who are continually negative, unsupportive, and just itching for a fight. No matter what the parade is, these people just want to p!ss on it.

These contrarians, contrary to their view of themselves, add nothing to the thread. And usually, they either misinterpret what they read, or didn't go through the entire post because, gee whiz, reading is hard.

I read one today in which somebody immediately posted as a response, "That is the dumbest thing I think I've ever read on ATS", and then proceeding to be nasty, without really fully comprehending what was being proposed in the original post.

Disagreeing is one thing, we all have that right, if that's how we feel. But thread derailment, put-downs, and general meanness spoil the ATS experience. If I want to read a bunch of sophomoric insults and emoticons with eyes rolling, I'll stick to Facebook. These posters do not realize that they obviously missed the point entirely, and are so eager to flame somebody that they rush to judgment erroneously.

There is a higher standard with ATS. I would hate to see the bar lowered because there are a flood of posters who cannot bring themselves up to the standard, so they want to bring it down to their level.
edit on 12-11-2012 by FissionSurplus because: grammar

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Well in my opinion if someone asks you questions you should answer them its being polite, if questions are related to that thread and when its about the issues or images you include in it, instead of ignoring everything others have to say... answer, This is what we call debate.

I don´t like name calling in threads and i don´t like facebook either as i hardly find anything worth discussing there, when someone changes their kids diapers or what they ate has nothing relevant to me.

I was debating but im not sure you were.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I love this rant, I made one just like it a while ago.

UGH it gets on my nerves too.

Read some people, would ya??

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I tried NRE, I really tried...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollukka
I think you are out of the line here. First when you make a thread and include issues or pictures you DON`T want to discuss about, either have anything to BACK them up, don´t include them. You most likely wanted to spice your thread a bit but they took away the credibility. Maybe you did wanted to talk about those unconciously but didn´t like the feedback your thread received.

I did read your thread completely, i even read every single reply too. And i know what you were after with that thread it just disagree and i have right to do so.

Dolluka, I have to disagree with you here. NRE's use of those pictures was to show perception vs. misconception(At least that's what I saw in it). She wasn't trying to spice up anything as far as I can tell, but rather playing more on the cliche, and the taboo, the reptilian thing has become. Especially here on ATS. I thought it was a good lead-in to the focus of her thread, and well done.

But that's just my opinion.
edit on 11/12/2012 by Klassified because: clarity

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join