Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Ohioans’ food stamp aid to be reduced $50 a month starting in January

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
It seems the federal Government somehow calculates food stamp amounts based on the cost of utilities ?

Many people never knew that.

Ohio recipients will get the reduction because of lower costs of natural gas and a milder winter ?

I wonder if this is just speculation ?

Can somebody confirm .....

Ohio families receiving food stamps could get an unwelcome surprise come January: $50 less every month in assistance.

For the 869,000 households enrolled in the program for the poorest Ohioans, that could amount to about $520 million annually out of the grocery budgets.

Because of the way the federal government calculates utility expenses for people receiving the benefit, a mild winter nationwide last year, and a lower price for natural gas, many families could experience a significant cut in aid, those familiar with the program say.

Recipients should get a letter from the state Department of Job and Family Services this month explaining the change, said Ben Johnson, a spokesman for the agency..............

Ohioans’ food stamp aid to be reduced

If and when this actually happens, maybe we can see the effects of a "cut" program.

Maybe that's we are hearing some of the sensationalisms now

“They are going to increase hunger among our most vulnerable — working families, seniors, children, and persons with disabilities,” said Lisa Hamler-Fugitt, executive director of the Ohio Association of Foodbanks.
Strange they don't mention the "unemployed" being among the "most vulnerable"

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Thats the govt for you, forget our own people just give the $$$ to the religious extremist groups.
Our people arent as well cared for as most of the world believes.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Obviously this will teach them all to get jobs and to stop mooching off of the productive class. I'm sure they saved all that money from last years lower utility bills to pay for food so they don't need anymore from us.

Welfare queens, can you believe them sometimes?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I tried to google and see if any other state in that area is being cut and no luck. So why only Ohio?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Whoa, did you say $50 a month? For a single adult that's lunch money for 1 week. Sure, even if you nickle and dime or live on dollar store food, that $50 isn't going to feed anyone for a month. Call me crazy but the people who are on food stamps are on it because they NEED it to survive. Many of these people are disabled, mentally, physically, or both. Many are elderly and many are families, many families consisting of single parents raising their children (mostly moms). Sure there's people on disability who don't need to be but they are a minority, The people on food stamps are on it for a good reason!

Of all the cuts this Gov't wants to make it's this one? Seriously, this is the best option? Maybe ending the Fail war on drugs could be a good start? How about ending the constant conflicts, operations, and all out wars? While we're at it, lets close down some more US military bases over seas? Or how about we cut food to the poor and disabled?

Good ideaz! Dee dee dee I'm evil.
edit on 12-11-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Well..that makes total sense. Warmer climate, less heating bills = less hungry.....

I don't think this could be true...but, it's our Government we're talking about...ya never know....

Des

edit on 12-11-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It's coming up in other Ohio news,here.
Basing determination on a milder winter at this point seems ridiculous, considering electric costs more in the winter, in the north. As it's possibly too soon to judge the coming forecasts. I'd assume they would mean people on fixed electricity rates-where they pay the same rate each month determined on yearly averages.
edit on 12-11-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
If you want to get all scientific, it takes a lot more calories to survive, the colder it gets.

Not sure if that is a part of it.

We should just kill the people who are lazy because they hate freedoms.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
Obviously this will teach them all to get jobs and to stop mooching off of the productive class. I'm sure they saved all that money from last years lower utility bills to pay for food so they don't need anymore from us.

electricsuppliers.org...

The New Year is upon us and AEP Columbus Southern Power and Ohio Power customers are beginning to see the result of months of negotiations between AEP and the PUCO show up in their bills. As of January 1st 2012 AEP’s new rate increases have begun to take effect. Unfortunately for most there is not much that can be done.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.dispatch.com...

Utility regulators are temporarily raising the “capacity price” that American Electric Power can charge competitors. This may lead to higher bills for the tens of thousands of customers who have already chosen to switch electricity providers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
www2.nbc4i.com...

The Ohio Public Utilities Commission has approved a proposal to raise electricity rates Wednesday.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats 3 raises in one year. How do you figure the people of Ohio have enjoyed cheaper electricity?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The better question is what is the nominal amount of food stamps that a family of four gets in Ohio now? What is the gradient on how much you get? Will the $50 saved allow more people to be on the program? Are any families Being removed as part of this? If so should they have been getting them in the first place? In what ways will the $50.00 saved help the state or federal budget. Will it go to deficit reduction?

There is nowhere near enough info to help determine how bad this is...or if perhaps this is a good thing.......

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I'm in Ohio and just saw this on the news, sooooooooo... it appears to be fact.

BUT... with the election over, there's no need to keep buying those votes. Now we need to get back to the serious business of embezzling and enriching our donors.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
All this will do is hurt the economy and cause hungry people. Entirely stupid. But we have to buy more bombs to prepare for the I ran invasion....
edit on 12-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
So....since last year was a mild winter and less electricity was used to heat homes, we are going to cut $50 off food stamp benefits despite a considerable increase in food prices due to last Summers record breaking heat that burnt up crops and backyard gardens as well as the increases from higher fuel costs this year.

That makes total sense in that special politicians have no connection to reality sort of way.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
edit on 12-11-2012 by neo96 because: never mind

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The election is over!!! now it is time for the demoncrats to stick it to those that supported them.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234

Doesn't really do anything really.

$150 is not so bad really.Its "free" money so be grateful it could be $50 or $10(FL if your not working before obama).
Florida is REALLY crazy about food stamps. You get $0 in FS if your not working or looking for work in community service.

There is nothing stopping communities from starting a community based version of the same thing. Only you have to work for the benefits and also you get a normal paycheck to buy stuff with.
republicans can stop whining about people not working and "welfare" class gets ALOT more money than what you get from SSDI or Cash assistance.

7.40/hr 20hr/wk(part time so doesn't interfere with SSI ).+$592/mo with $200 in FS with low income housing(10% of gross income. make your money back...heh) and section 8(the city can sell the tax credits). 10 hours for 2 days out of the week. Community service. Pick up trash on the highway. Clean up parks,hospitals and libraries. Help renovate abandoned houses to be resold. Throw away debris (tree branches,broken up concrete,leaves,brush etc.). City/State advertisement campaigns can employ people with reduced costs.

Creates jobs. Shuts up reCORPlicans Generates tax base where there was none.
edit on 13-11-2012 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join