reformatting my laptop BUT

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
All my pc files like windows 7 etc is on my external hard disc drive. I have no recovery discs period. Never came with the laptop when I bought it. IT's an asus republic of gamers laptop.

Anyway, I want to really reformat this fully, bring it back to factory stock and start over cuz it's a mess of crud over the 2 years I've had it, almost 3 years. Now, how can I do this with the usb external hdd? I guess when I first set up the external, it's a 500gb I believe, it put a folder inside that seems to have the recovery stuff?

I'm so going into this blindly. Last time I did a usb reformat, it was going from vista to 7 and somehow it worked fine. But this is with a usb hard disc drive. kinda different from a normal usb thingie. that one was 14g I think. Not like size matters but just letting you know what I'm working with.

any help? advice?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
If your laptop still boots up can you not plug your USB disc drive in burn a DVD from the recovery folder if it's on the USB drive?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I have no dvd's or anything TO burn with. I'm thinking I have to reformat it with the stuff inside my external. I'm just scared something will go wrong that way.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
press f9 when you boot it will go to the recovery options menu.Google your laptop name followed by recovery,first result.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
okay.. and getting all the win 7 and drivers back on WILL work via my external hdd?

I just want to double check as once I start, I can't really /stop/ xD

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
img842.imageshack.us...this is the link,on my android,never posted a link here so hopefully it will work!it's at the bottom of the first result in Google when you search"Asus republic of gamers laptop recovery.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
When you say you have windows 7 on your external HDD, do you mean you have a copy of the windows 7 setup disk on the external HDD or did you just copy over everything from the c: drive? If it's the windows 7 setup disk then all you need to do is to set your BIOS to boot from your USB port and switch it back to the c: drive once installed (I like to do that after the first reboot). If you just copied over everything to the external HDD and are planning on copying everything back isn't going to give you a fresh start on your system unfortunately. You could do it this way by booting from the USB drive then format the c: drive and copy everything over but you would still have the same issues you had before. Not even sure if that'll work, never tried it like that before, always had the disk.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
okay.. and getting all the win 7 and drivers back on WILL work via my external hdd?

I just want to double check as once I start, I can't really /stop/ xD
They should all be on the built in recovery partition.Go for it you can do it!have a quick read of a few Google results first if you need reassurance.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
It has a folder that it put on upon my installing the hdd that says WindowsImageBackup

that's what I /think/ is the win 7, drives etc?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

it says to disable boot booster first in the BIOS.Can't remember the key to get to BIOS but when you turn on the laptop it tells you on screen.use the arrow keys to find boot booster in options and disable it.reboot then press f9 for recovery.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

It has a folder that it put on upon my installing the hdd that says WindowsImageBackup

that's what I /think/ is the win 7, drives etc?

Yes, that's the backup image folder that windows 7 uses. If your already have windows 7 installed just use the restore utility that's built into windows 7. And yes, windows 7 is really good at getting the latest drivers for your system.
edit on 12-11-2012 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Okay, so I just hit the f9, ensure bios is set to boot with the external, then let it do its thing, select at some point the windows image thing and voila, pc back to day one?

I'm so scared to get a paperweight. xD

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Okay, so I just hit the f9, ensure bios is set to boot with the external, then let it do its thing, select at some point the windows image thing and voila, pc back to day one?

if you want it back to the way it came and don't want to take any chances,turn off boot booster in BIOS,reboot,press f9 on reboot ,tick the system restore check box and follow on screen instructions.it will use the built in hard drive to restore windows too though not your external.this way should be fool proof and less chance of ending up with a brick.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
okay. keep the fingers crossed. I do have to take a half hour and write down all my passwords and sites that i use. xD i have NO idea how to get those from firefox to the hdd external

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376

if you want it back to the way it came and don't want to take any chances,turn off boot booster in BIOS,reboot,press f9 on reboot ,tick the system restore check box and follow on screen instructions.it will use the built in hard drive to restore windows too though not your external.this way should be fool proof and less chance of ending up with a brick.
forgot to say if using the Asus recovery don't set it to boot from external drive but built in drive.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

okay. keep the fingers crossed. I do have to take a half hour and write down all my passwords and sites that i use. xD i have NO idea how to get those from firefox to the hdd external
www.watchingthenet.com... asswords-in-firefox.html

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

forgot to say if using the Asus recovery don't set it to boot from external drive but built in drive.

Now I'm confused. xD if the things I need to recover it to factory are on my external, how will i get to it then if it's going to reboot to the main, wiped clean area?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
www.howtogeek.com... -and-restore-firefox-passwords-list/that last link didn't work

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Did you blank the whole built in hard drive including the hidden partition?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join