It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. City Council Asks Los Angeles Residents to Go Meatless on Mondays

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Seriously .. why can't you people stay out of our refrigerators??
Michele Obama .. Bloomberg ... and now the entire L.A. City Council.

LA Times - City Council Asks Los Angeles Residents to Go Meatless on Mondays

For one day each week, the Los Angeles City Council wants residents to go vegetarian.

In a unanimous 12-0 vote, the council approved a resolution Friday endorsing the "meatless Monday" campaign and asking residents to make a personal pledge to ditch meat for one day a week.

The resolution makes L.A. the largest city to sign on to the international "Meatless Mondays" campaign, which aims to reduce meat consumption for health and environmental reasons.

You'd think that a City Council would have work to do in important areas .. like crime prevention or like improving schools or helping victims of abuse or working with the gov't to prepare for earthquakes and the aftermaths, etc. But no .. they feel the need to be nannys and tell the people of Los Angeles what they should be eating on Mondays.

This is really silly (and a total waste of taxpayer money).

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
is the first ladies cousin in the council?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well they could ask me all they like; I would still eat what I want to eat.

Funny thing is I eat what I want now and my health aside from a few join issues is good. I ran into a young couple at a hibachi not long ago. They told my wife and I how they do not eat carbs normally (they were eating rice), but they eat steak all the time. Later my wife and I were trying to figure this one out as red meat is supposed to not be good for you either.

All of that said, the key in any diet is portions. After the portions comes exercise. When I walk I walk at what most everyone I know considers a fast pace. For me it is a normal walk. Others on the other hand have to jog to keep up they end up breathing hard, sweating, and asking me to slow down. I get out and do things as well.

Looking at my signature you can see I hunt/collect fossils. This activity gets me out and I get in a lot of hiking. In one area I look for fossils I have to travel on foot just over 1/2 mile with a pack full of any supplies I might need. The other day I tossed a 30 lb. rock in a pack and hiked it back to my car. After I dropped the rock off I went walking back to look for more stuff.

At my job I am also very active. I keep up a high pace all day or night depending on the shift I am on. I see a lot of jobs today that allow people to sit at a desk all day with food and drink beside them. If you can sit all day with food and drink beside you will not be in shape. This is even more of a problem if when they get home they sit down in front of a TV (this happens a lot). I cannot figure out how someone can sit all day and then come home and sit more. It would drive me crazy to sit around and do nothing literally. There have been days where I was too tired to get out or it was too cold to get out so I stayed at home. I find that if I just stay at home and sit around I feel like crap. I feel best when I am up and moving around doing something. Even a light workout that just increases your heart rate is better than melting into a chair all day and night. We have bodies that are meant to move.

Raist

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Local Steakhouses are hatin' that, I bet! Heck, fast food chains too! Dem's fightin' words for some folk...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here

Local Steakhouses are hatin' that, I bet! Heck, fast food chains too! Dem's fightin' words for some folk...

You don't seriously think people will go along with somebody telling them what not to eat on Monday's do you?

Like FF said, just to even discuss that at the city council level was a waste of tax payers money!

They probably ordered out salads for this meeting too!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I can just see the grocery stores "half off on any meat Monday Madness Sale!"

I love it... the city council and their families can sit around eating squash and turnips.. and I will be grilling and devouring the best steak cut from a cow!
edit on 12-11-2012 by drivebricker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
How about freedomless Fridays? I bet that has a nice ring to it for some council members.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Nobody takes these local clowns seriously. What are they trying to prove by such a resolution?

Perhaps by starting to implement such ideas, they are pushing forward Agenda 21, which states that eating meat is "unsustainable", and we should all become vegans.

Screw that. Today is Monday, I'm cooking up some T-bone steaks.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

You don't seriously think people will go along with somebody telling them what not to eat on Monday's do you?

Of course not! See the laughing face? It's so ludicrous it's laughable...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Makes you wonder though, if the local steak houses will be offering BOGO meals, or half price entrees just to counter this, because it is ludicrous.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
How about freedomless Fridays? I bet that has a nice ring to it for some council members.

Or, to change it out a bit... Freedom Fridays. Since, you know, ordinarily they are not.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

Makes you wonder though, if the local steak houses will be offering BOGO meals, or half price entrees just to counter this, because it is ludicrous.

Now there's a marketing ploy I can support!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Seriously .. why can't you people stay out of our refrigerators??
Michele Obama .. Bloomberg ... and now the entire L.A. City Council.

LA Times - City Council Asks Los Angeles Residents to Go Meatless on Mondays

For one day each week, the Los Angeles City Council wants residents to go vegetarian.

In a unanimous 12-0 vote, the council approved a resolution Friday endorsing the "meatless Monday" campaign and asking residents to make a personal pledge to ditch meat for one day a week.

The resolution makes L.A. the largest city to sign on to the international "Meatless Mondays" campaign, which aims to reduce meat consumption for health and environmental reasons.

You'd think that a City Council would have work to do in important areas .. like crime prevention or like improving schools or helping victims of abuse or working with the gov't to prepare for earthquakes and the aftermaths, etc. But no .. they feel the need to be nannys and tell the people of Los Angeles what they should be eating on Mondays.

This is really silly (and a total waste of taxpayer money).

Wow if that's true, that's nuts! That's like mayor bloomburg and his pop size restrictions and stupid stuff like that. This who concept that the g--v wants to be your real life nanny is insane. It starts with rationing meat, then it's how many pieces of toilet paper you use to wipe your azz!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I'd love to see all the fast food places and steak houses have 'If you LUV freedom then have a burger on Mondays' commercials on TV and radio in Los Angeles. It would probably give those yutz's at the City Council massive heart attacks and strokes!

Those people should be working on how to take care of schools and how to take care of the illegals flooding the hospitals and how to take care of their infrastructure that fails during heat waves etc etc etc ... and not waste time dictating what the people of Los Angeles should have in their cupboards and/or fridges. :shk:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I don't think so!!!!

You'd think they'd have some real work to do...being a major city and all the financial stress most cities are dealing with these days.......but..NO!!!
They have to try to tell people meat is unhealthy for you

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Perhaps by starting to implement such ideas, they are pushing forward Agenda 21, which states that eating meat is "unsustainable", and we should all become vegans.
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Thank you for saying that for me.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Well, in their defense there could be a positive environmental impact if more people cut out meat for a day. I believe cows alone make up 25% of the methane made on the earth. So, people cutting back on beef alone could cut that percentage down some. Just a thought though, not sure if they had cow farts in mind when proposing the idea haha.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Meatless Monday = Bacon Blasphemy

Meatless Monday = Ribeye Riots

Just glad I don't live in L.A.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
They have to try to tell people meat is unhealthy for you

Meat is sugarless. It has no high fructose corn syrup. It doesn't have the carb problem that leads to obesity. I think they'd have a hard time coming up with facts showing that lean meat is worse for you than pasta or whatever ...

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I agree that the L.A. council shouldn't have tried this. Know why? Cuz you can't fix stupid.

Cutting back on beefburgers and bacon could wipe $20 trillion off the cost of fighting climate change. That's the dramatic conclusion of a study that totted up the economic costs of modern meat-heavy diets.

The researchers involved say that reducing our intake of beef and pork would lead to the creation of a huge new carbon sink, as vegetation would thrive on unused farmland. The model takes into account farmland that is used to grow extra food to make up for the lost meat, but that requires less area, so some will be abandoned. Millions of tonnes of methane, a potent greenhouse gas, would also be saved every year due to reduced emissions from farms.

These impacts would lessen the need for expensive carbon-saving technologies, such as "clean coal" power plants, and so save huge sums, say Elke Stehfest of the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency and colleagues.

www.newscientist.com...

God knows we don't want to save our country any money or anything....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join