It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chess and other on-site games--why or why not?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
So, I had a dream about ATS just a few hours ago. (I guess I don't get enough ATS when I'm awake, so I have to dream about it too!) In the dream, I was navigating the website and accidentally clicked a tab or link or something...and I found myself engaged in a game of chess with another fictitious member whose face I couldn't see, but could text chat with. (Even in my wildest dreams I'm still surfing the web and playing chess! How about that!)

So, that leads me to wonder...why isn't there an on-site games area? I know I've seen some members complain that ATS is becoming too much like a social networking website. I'm not sure that I agree. And I'm not sure that I agree that that is a bad idea.

I personally visit ATS for some of the cyber-socializing aspect. It balances out the doom, gloom, and conspiracies. Do forums typically have games? I don't know--because this is the only one I've ever visited.

There are definitely some minds on ATS that I'd love to see manipulate a few pawns

So, what does everybody think? Why is this a good or a bad idea? Would you like or not like to see some on-site games such as chess? checkers? etc. I'm not talking about arcade style games--just the classic brain-teaser games of strategy and forethought. Seems like a logical addition to this website to me.

I'd love to hear from members, mods, and even some site owners. What's involved in bringing chess to ATS? What are the pros and cons? Would it bring more ads?

Maybe there is already a secret 'games' section that I don't know about!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I see your logic. .....

Hmm.

Queen to Bishop 6.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I see your logic. .....

Hmm.

Queen to Bishop 6.

CHECKMATE !

been a while i have played chess
i was very good when i was young
playing with friends between class
then the gameboy came and ruined everything
no more monopoly no more chess .. no more legos

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I thought members played enough games in religious threads.

I'll protect my King with a castle please ?

edit on 12-11-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
A snooker game would be great

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I support this idea. even though you wouldn't be able to play on mobile ats, I think its a great idea.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Games can be an excellent way to connect and promote a wider sense of commradery; personally, I am a avid Risk fan. I found a site where you can play it online for free with others; Major Command. If anyone wants to play, I'll be there with the same username I use here!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I'd be down for some RTS or FPS... something that actually measures reflexes and general intelligence.

But Chess... so boring... -_-

Maybe Woms or Pocket Tanks instead?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Other than the games that occasionally pop up here my personal feeling is to let ATS remain a conspiracy forum w/ variety but leave the games to websites like POGO and Yahoo Games etc.

I personally do not care for the idea...respectfully of course

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
fo shizle

I love games, sign me up please!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

This thread certainly needs and deserves to be flagged...

Therefore you can try and capture it if you want it....

S&F!... Oops no stars applicable.
edit on 12/11/2012 by zatara because: of no star

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
It would be a good idea. It might have a good affect on most of the members of ATS. It seems a lot of people have dreams about doom and gloom from all the stuff they read on ATS. It would be a good idea to add games as it might balance things out a bit better.

I really would love to see a Texas Hold Em' poker game for ATS. Since those ATS points aren't being used in anyway I don't see why we can't use them as chips/dollars. Even include a ATS points ranking page and there will be a list of players ranked from 1-100 while showing the number of ATS points they have.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

Hmm yeah. I never did figure out what ATS points are for. But what you just said makes a lot of sense to me haha. Anyway, I'm sure this idea has come and gone many times. I was just curious what other people thought about it. It certainly would be a more entertaining way to settle some of those trite, long-winded debates I see in the posts sometimes

Anyhow, I'm sure it's been considered and rejected already. Thanks for all the feedback though, everybody.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I vote for ATS CATAN!!!!!

But with custom ATS factions of our favorite PTB.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
My opinion is , that the further we remain from a facebook like gaming environment, the better for the quality of the information posted on threads. Dont get me wrong, I love gaming, but I have an XBOX for that. I use ATS for intellectual gamery, and I am happy enough having those parts of my entertainment landscape seperated by a de-militarized-zone, and machine gun nests either side.

XL5

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I would love to see an ATS tower defence game made by some one here. Make it long and take weeks to level up enough to get the 2012 and the 11:11 tower.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Games can be used to monitor computers... more importantly...

Games can be used to monitor capabilities of users (who don't skew the results,)

This is ATS, not Steam.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

But Chess... so boring... -_-
reply to post by SymbolicLogic

SINNER!

Just teasing! Chess boring though? Chess is amazing! Best game ever in my opinion. My father taught me how to play at a young age so I am biased. Would LOVE to play fellow ATS members in chess for sure.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

There are a billion online chess games. That's not why you come here.

Bad idea, IMO, from coding issues, bandwidth concerns, and a lack of relevance to the theme here.

However, ATS does sponsor complex in forum games periodically. The last one was about time travel and was a complete blast. The winner got an I pad.

I'd like to see more of those. A permanent game forum, meh, not so much.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
ATS the game we're already playing it.

It would be interesting to compete with similar minds at Chess or any other game.
But I can understand why they won't do it.

You guys can go into chat and post as you play chess.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join