It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

Thanks for the suggestion. I used to want to be a sci-fi writer, so I am definitely interested in this kind of stuff even if I am not adamant about writing anymore.

Thanks for posting the film as well. I have never heard of it and wasn't aware of any other Arthur C. Clarke adapted films. I will check it out

My appologies, the film is not adapted from any of Arthur C. Clark's works.

I had meant figuratively, you'll see.

Enjoy the film.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I thought the uniforms and the bridge were too influenced by star wars, I liked the bridge, but still.

and what happened to the floating lifters they used in the halls? another star wars influence.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
what happened to the floating lifters they used in the halls? another star wars influence.

Actually, we see some "anti-grav" lifters in the original Star Trek series too. The only examples I can think of at the moment are in the episodes 'Obsession' and 'The Changeling'

They use some lifters to move that tri-cobalt bomb (whatever it was) in Obsession...they use it again to move Nomad onto the transporter. This all predates Star Wars. And we see similar anti-gravs (or at least hear about them) in TNG etc.
edit on 12-11-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
As to the last movie I thought they went with what makes ST work. Interaction of the characters. I thought they were excellent with the exception of Uhura. She seemed "latex" in this movie. Uhura is a velvet hammer. Soft on the outside. Kick your ass on the inside.

I agree that Zoe Saldana's interpretation of Lt. Uhura was the weakest of the new cast. Many people don't realize that Gene Roddenberry's Lt. Uhura is a historically significant character.

A minority female being portrayed as a bridge officer in command of caucasian male subordinates during the 1960's and U.S. televisions first interracial kiss.

Big shoes to fill, I hope the future franchise takes notice and work on tweaking Zoe Saldana's performance a bit.

The biggest surprise for me was Karl Urban's portrayal of Leonard McCoy, I thought he was fantastic and believe his performance channeled the essence of the original character most authentically of the actors/actresses of the new cast.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
I agree that Zoe Saldana's interpretation of Lt. Uhura was the weakest of the new cast. Many people don't realize that Gene Roddenberry's Lt. Uhura is a historically significant character.

A minority female being portrayed as a bridge officer in command of caucasian male subordinates during the 1960's and U.S. televisions first interracial kiss.

Big shoes to fill, I hope the future franchise takes notice and work on tweaking Zoe Saldana's performance a bit.

The biggest surprise for me was Karl Urban's portrayal of Leonard McCoy, I thought he was fantastic and believe his performance channeled the essence of the original character most authentically of the actors/actresses of the new cast.

I could not agree with you more about both of your points.

I have always been a Karl Urban fan, just because he seems to be so versatile ( see him in Chronicles of Riddick for a contrast, to stay in the SciFi genre at least. ), but he nailed "Bones". I also love that we got to hear where the name came from. I always had thought that it was a derivitive of "Saw-bones" which is what doctors were called in the late 1800's and early 1900's, which is a period of time that Kirk was particularly interested in.

Another suprise for me was Chris Pine's interpretation of Kirk. I think he did a great job of catching Kirk's character, but without the overly dramatic acting that was Shatner's trademark. He got the look, swagger and over all feel of Kirk down pat, without imitating Kirk. IMO the second best performance behind Urban.

Just another Sci-fi geek adding to the masses

Danno

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
the 2009 film was OK, but they totally butchered the ship!

this is meant to be pre-TOS timeline (at least in the first film) so it shouldent have liiked like and iPad on the inside, or the disaster of its exterior.

TMP refit constitution - most beautiful

top topics

<< 1   >>

join