It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A passing thought about this website--and a question for you!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
So, I had a dream about ATS just a few hours ago. (I guess I don't get enough ATS when I'm awake, so I have to dream about it too!) In the dream, I was navigating the website and accidentally clicked a tab or link or something...and I found myself engaged in a game of chess with another fictitious member whose face I couldn't see, but could text chat with. (Even in my wildest dreams I'm still surfing the web and playing chess! How about that!)

So, that leads me to wonder...why isn't there an on-site games area? I know I've seen some members complain that ATS is becoming too much like a social networking website. I'm not sure that I agree. And I'm not sure that I agree that that is a bad idea.

I personally visit ATS for some of the cyber-socializing aspect. It balances out the doom, gloom, and conspiracies. Do forums typically have games? I don't know--because this is the only one I've ever visited.

There are definitely some minds on ATS that I'd love to see manipulate a few pawns

So, what does everybody think? Why is this a good or a bad idea? Would you like or not like to see some on-site games such as chess? checkers? etc. I'm not talking about arcade style games--just the classic brain-teaser games of strategy and forethought. Seems like a logical addition to this website to me.

I'd love to hear from members, mods, and even some site owners. What's involved in bringing chess to ATS? What are the pros and cons? Would it bring more ads?

Maybe there is already a secret 'games' section that I don't know about!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
edit on 12-11-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Sure ill sign.

I don't mind having some simple games, or a trivia type of games.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Trivia! Not a bad idea at all! I love trivial facts
Thanks for the suggestion although this isn't exactly a petition or anything haha.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Lol i know, its just a metaphor for i agree
!!

Maybe posting this in the Board forums might be good?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I definitely like that idea if the games are educational. If I start getting requests for Farmville or Garden of Times on another social site, I'm outta here.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by headorheart
I definitely like that idea if the games are educational. If I start getting requests for Farmville or Garden of Times on another social site, I'm outta here.

Upon closer inspection of my OP, you will find that I do not advocate arcade or simulation style games for ATS--Games that require strategy, forethought, and problem solving skills such as chess would be ideal. And maybe checkers or something for those that don't like chess. I prefer to stick with the classics.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I'm all for the idea, just as long as we can get a game of Canasta going on, or maybe Dominoes.

It could be fun!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The board must have Mah Jong!!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by NightFlight

Hmm, I never learned to play Mah Jong. It looks really confusing to me! Well, you'll have to teach us if my dream becomes a reality!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

how about a game of i spy

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by darknewt

Maybe some avatar-themed I Spy or Guess Who?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It represents the dilution of the website in favor of traffic. This has already happened enough. Above Top Secret was founded to be a conspiracy-oriented web site to discuss, you know, conspiracies. Stuff like UFO coverups, wild tales of the Secret Government. And because of its growth it has become a political site. Conspiracy->Politics. It works so it flies. The bait has been taken so that we have endless threads on how Ron Paul is gonna win.

What happend to UFOs?

You will point out that the UFO Forum is "still there," and, of course, you are correct. It is. It reminds me of a restaurant that opens up to sell you the "Best hamburgers ever!" and they are. They're great!. But in a year or so the menu expands to include tacos, and after that it includes fresh salads, and sooner or later they'll be selling toys at the checkout counter. And those great burgers? They're in a corner of the menu now, 3rd page in, if you can find them.

ATS should focus on its theme, promote its theme, and resist the lure of trying to become all things to all people. I don't want a forum on pets because someone wants to koochie koo about their dog. In fact, you could take the whole Below Top Secret section and toss it as far as I'm concerned.

If you want to play games, go to a game site.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Thanks for your post. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I agree with you about the pets section too. (by the way, your avatar is a picture of a pet, no?)

I am in disagreement about the Below section though. I think at the end of the day we need to be reminded that we are still just ordinary people who love pets as well as a good conspiracy and a blurry, grainy UFO video.

I do appreciate your post and I totally see your point. But, I think a games section is just as valid as the ATS chat room. People won't exactly be signing up to play a game of chess with Phage--or will they?

Again, this is what I was looking for with this thread. Thanks again for sharing your point of view.

new topics

top topics

join