It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible Question

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by subjectzero

New American Standard Bible imo, i read from different versions but the NASB and NKJV are the 2 big ones i use.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo. NIV has 3000 edited verses alone, notwithstanding the 6700 verses where YHVH was replaced with LORD and Lord replaced Adonai.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
My understanding is that the Council of Nicea discarded the Apocrypha.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by subjectzero

Read my post at the bottom of the previous page. We have no "official" historical evidence to back that assertion. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that all we have is rumors and legend for it to this point.

You might find this helpful...

In the year 1880, the American Bible Society took a vote and decided that the 15 books of the Apocrypha should be removed and in 1885, the King James Version Bibles printed under the auspices of the Archbishop of Canterbury did not include the Apocrypha. Though many in the Protestant denomination may not give the Apocrypha much thought, others question as to whether “authorities” made the right call in removing the books.

Source

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I suspect the OP is also confused between the OT Apocrypha, which is what you're talking about, and the so-called "New Testament" apocrypha, which were never dropped because they were never accepted.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by subjectzero

No, the Apocrypha was "discarded" by Martin Luther, who was also not a big fan of Hebrews, James, Jude and Revelation. You can still find the Apocrypha (which are a series of books from the Old Testament, not the New) in any Catholic Bible. (Note that they aren't referred to as "Apocrypha" in Catholic Bibles -- they're just part of the text. You can find them in the 1611 King James Bible, a Protestant version, filed under Apocypha.)

While Luther may have had a legitimate gripe against those books (they were only known in Greek, not Hebrew, versions,) his big complaint was with 2 Maccabees, used to justify the Catholic notion of Purgatory, so by justifying that book's exclusion, he "threw out the baby with the bathwater" and sliced a good bit of later Hebrew history out of the text.
edit on 13-11-2012 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by adjensen

NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo. NIV has 3000 edited verses alone, notwithstanding the 6700 verses where YHVH was replaced with LORD and Lord replaced Adonai.

And, as one of my aforementioned conservative friends weighs in, I'll again point out that the NIV is my reading version, and has been for so long that to discard it would be like dismissing an old friend.

Just a reminder to keep in mind that there are significant complaints with the NIV from some, so it is probably not the best "sole source" to have (and, as I mentioned earlier, it is not my sole source, either.)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by subjectzero

No. The Catholic Church has *preserved* these books... and in fact, St. Peter and St. Paul actually reference them, as did Jesus (though the reference was by passage, not name).

Here's some history:

www.ewtn.com...

The books Luther threw out in his hissy fit were:

Judith
Wisdom
Tobit
Sirach (Ecclesiasticus)
Baruch
1 and 2 Macabees
Portions of Esther
Portions of Daniel

And again (in case you missed it), here is a link to the texts of the full Bible:

www.usccb.org...

And here's a great online store to order from:

www.aquinasandmore.com...

Hope this helps.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join