It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Second Sun. Call it what you wish, but it is HERE**

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
For a little perspective let's look at just what 100 light years means...

A light year is a measure of distance based on how far light travels in one earth year. Light travels at a rate of three hundred thousand kilometers per second (186411.357 miles per second) so to get the distance traveled in a single year you would have to multiply 300,000 by the number of seconds in a year. 300,000 (kilometers per second) times 31,577,600 (seconds in a year) equals 9,467,280,000,000 kilometers. That is 9 trillion, 467 billion, 280 million kilometers for the distance light travels in a single year.

Even if a rogue planet or brown dwarf star were to be traveling directly at the solar system from 100 light years away at 10% of the speed of light, which is highly unlikely, it would take 1000 years to get here. I would think that if the human race was still in the neighborhood we would have advanced our science far enough by then to not even need to destroy it. We would probably be able to capture it and place it in a stable orbit around the sun and make use of it for its mineral riches or even terraform for another habitable planet.
edit on 15-11-2012 by happykat39 because: clarified a point

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LoveisanArt

Care to explain what the "lie" and "fear factor" is then? Hmmm?

It's an object, 4 to 7 times the mass of Jupiter. That's normally a bit small to be a brown dwarf, but it's also more of a "guess-timent" since it's hard to figure out it's mass when it's a body that small and not orbiting anything.

It's 100 light years away. Again. 1 light year is 58 trillion miles. This object is 5,800 Trillion miles away.

Step outside if you live in the Northern Hemisphere. At about 11 pm tonight, EST, look towards the south east. You'll see a very bright star that's blue white. That's the brightest star visible with the naked eye from the northern hemisphere, called Sirius, the Dog Star. It's just over 8 light years away. That's over 82 times closer to us than this rogue planet that they've found.

That light you are seeing took just over 8 years to get here. Right now, if you were there, you'd be hearing and seeing radio and TV broadcasts talking about how George W. Bush won the election over Kerry.

Where that rogue planet is? Well a few months back, if the signal made it out (but I doubt it due to reflection from the ionosphere), anyone near that rogue planet would have just picked up the S.O.S. morse code signal from a huge ocean liner the HMS Titanic.

World War One hasn't even started yet.

THAT'S how far away it is.

"Close" is a very relative term when talking about the vast distances in space.

Now, it's a good idea to not eat up everything the MSM puts out. But then you have to simply be critical of it, and do your own research and vetting.

Else you start seeing Booggy Men under every bed.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoveisanArt

Originally posted by nancyliedersdeaddog

Originally posted by eriktheawful

Originally posted by djgray
Found this to be interesting (and coincidental) today....

'Orphan' alien planet with no parent is found near Earth

*edit: Also from the article... "There's still a slight chance that CFBDSIR2149 is a brown dwarf "
edit on 14-11-2012 by djgray because: Added a quote from the article referenced.

That rogue planet is 100 light years away. 1 Light Year is just over 5.8 trillion miles.
If that planet were to be headed our way, even traveling at the speed of light, it would take it 100 years to get here.

It's the closest one found to us yet, but the term "Close" is rather relative. Our closest neighbor, Alpha Centauri is 4.3 light years away. So a star, that was just recently discovered to have a planet around it is actually much, much closer than this rogue object.

I hope you don't mind but I quoted this post in another thread.

Okay here is an article from msn news about a 'rogue planet' ..
Msn is pretty mainstream as well.. read the article; it sounds liek it was ripped right from Ats. This is text-book manipulation by the media once again.. The entire article is describing anything you would read in a "Nibiru" thread on Ats.

For instance:

The free-floating object, called CFBDSIR2149, is likely a gas giant planet four to seven times more massive than Jupiter, scientists say in a new study

There's still a slight chance that CFBDSIR2149 is a brown dwarf — a strange object that's larger than a planet but too small to trigger the internal nuclear fusion reactions required to become a full-fledged star

I think this entire thing is a mainstream LIE and fear factor. . but who am I to say so, I dont run society :S

~ Love is an art

What are you talking about? How is this discovery a lie and fear factor story? This thing is 100 LIGHT YEARS AWAY and I haven't seen one person reading this story scream for the hills!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I'm afraid that a lot of the "the end is near" prophecies are based on misguided religious beliefs.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Yes; the lie and fear factor is the cause of this MADE UP thing the mainstream media is talking about.. the reason I can tell this is a lie by the sneaky mainstream; everything the "scientists" (they never give names?) claim came straight from a Nibiru thread.

Examples; 'brown dwarf' .. 7x size of Jupitar.. calling the planet 'rogue' (yes I know its a real word.. but its exactly what members here would call Nibiru the Rogue Planet) .. and listing it at a distance that sounds harmless but thought provoking like 100AU.

We have no idea HOW or WHY this thing is projecting across the cosmos; it could be a sling shot effect. This makes its speed RAPID. Prior to mainstream astronomers finding this so called planet; we have no clue how far is was before the official report. Maybe it was 150AU before we seen it at 100AU?

The point is; its thought provoking and another thing for people to go crazy over... the media is pounding our psyche with crap that apparently doesnt matter? If this rogue planet was of no issue; what was the purpose of reporting it?

There is a factor; to make the humans nuts; WW3, FEMA, 2012, 9/11, Nibiru, Flu shots, zombies, earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, comets like Elenin... there is SO much bull# put "out there" by the media, also by these so called scientists... it just factors into our psyche as BAD information. If it ment nothing, there would be no reasons to put this stuff in the mainstream for people to swallow.

I feel like Im arguing? Enough of that.. lol. Just trying to show how the media manipulates and gets away with it. The things they broadcast and show, effects the total energy of those watching or listening.. even if a little, SOME being affected is the goal of this tool called Media.

~ Love is an art

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Yes; the lie and fear factor is the cause of this MADE UP thing the mainstream media is talking about.. the reason I can tell this is a lie by the sneaky mainstream; everything the "scientists" (they never give names?) claim came straight from a Nibiru thread.

Examples; 'brown dwarf' .. 7x size of Jupitar.. calling the planet 'rogue' (yes I know its a real word.. but its exactly what members here would call Nibiru the Rogue Planet) .. and listing it at a distance that sounds harmless but thought provoking like 100AU.

We have no idea HOW or WHY this thing is projecting across the cosmos; it could be a sling shot effect. This makes its speed RAPID. Prior to mainstream astronomers finding this so called planet; we have no clue how far is was before the official report. Maybe it was 150AU before we seen it at 100AU?

The point is; its thought provoking and another thing for people to go crazy over... the media is pounding our psyche with crap that apparently doesnt matter? If this rogue planet was of no issue; what was the purpose of reporting it?

There is a factor; to make the humans nuts; WW3, FEMA, 2012, 9/11, Nibiru, Flu shots, zombies, earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, comets like Elenin... there is SO much bull# put "out there" by the media, also by these so called scientists... it just factors into our psyche as BAD information. If it ment nothing, there would be no reasons to put this stuff in the mainstream for people to swallow.

I feel like Im arguing? Enough of that.. lol. Just trying to show how the media manipulates and gets away with it. The things they broadcast and show, effects the total energy of those watching or listening.. even if a little, SOME being affected is the goal of this tool called Media.

~ Love is an art

AU, the unit of measurement you are quoting.

1AU = the average deistance between the earth and the sun.

1 light year, 100 light years is a completely different matter and so far away, that even moving at light speed (impossible for an entire planet at the very least) would take 100 years to get here. BNow, it isnt moving any anywhere near light speed, not even a small fraction of it.....it will take so long to get in the general vicinity the planet probably wont even exist any more. And of course, that depends on which direction it is moving. Who said its coming this way?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Examples; 'brown dwarf' .. 7x size of Jupitar.. calling the planet 'rogue' (yes I know its a real word.. but its exactly what members here would call Nibiru the Rogue Planet) .. and listing it at a distance that sounds harmless but thought provoking like 100AU...

But it IS 7X the size of Jupiter, , and it possibly MAY be a brown dwarf, and it IS 100 LY away ( "LY" [Light Years] by the way , NOT 100 AU, as you said).

That is simply the basic scientific description of a celestial object (what it is, how big it is, how far away it is). Why wouldn't they mention those vital statistics. How could the article NOT mention what it is, how big it is, or where it is, and still be a worthwhile article?

And, by the way, it's not that the MSM is taking ideas from ATS -- it's more likely that ATS members are posting things they read in the media. Many of the Nibiru threads on ATS have their genesis in a science story about the search for planets beyond Neptune, or the search for brown dwarfs.

...and you can't blame the writer of the science story if people are too ignorant of the science to understand it properly (and often over react). For example, that story about the rouge planet 100 LY away is just a simple scientific story. I read that a couple days ago and simply thought it was a interesting and esoteric article on orphaned planets (there are several that have been discovered). I did NOT overreact nor feel it was a threat to us -- because NOTHING in the article suggested that it was a threat.

Anyone who overreacts to this story (a thinks it could be Nibiru) just has a very poor understanding of astronomy. I mean, there are 15,000 other STARS within 100 LY. It's not like this planet/brown dwarf is anywhere near as close as the Nibiru believers think Nibiru may be.

edit on 11/16/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nightfury
reply to post by GameKeeper

All I can say is "sundogs"

Sorry, this is not proof...

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 12-11-2012 by Nightfury because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-11-2012 by Nightfury because: Added link

I second that. Have seen many of them before..They are beautiful nonetheless!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Nothing in that report is fiction, both the location and size are correct

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

~ Love is an art

So how is this rouge planet going to affect us? There are bad things in this world but FEMA camps, Nibiru, 2012, and zombies involve alot of speculation and really only talked about by conspiracy theorist but I don't see how flu shots or Elenin are exactly doom. When I read that story I didn't think about doom at all and most of the things you listed aren't really hyped up by the media but hyped up by people on sites like ATS and Alex Jones so maybe you should be more mad at them. I don't understand do you think the media shouldn't talk about things like hurricanes, volcanoes, tsunamis, and middle east conflict because they aren't feel good stories and they shouldn't report on this far away rogue planet because it probably won't affect us? I'm not sticking up for the media and I know they can be shady but I think it's a good thing they tell us about space discoveries that probably wont affect us.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Wow. Talk about NOT "denying ignorance".......

In your enthusiasm to trash the MSM, you apparently did zero research on this news, where it came from, who published it and when.

Instead, you say that the MSM pretty much made it all up, did not name scientists, etc, etc.

All of which is NOT true. The scientist's names are mentioned in the news article and where they did their research from:

Philippe Delorme, of the Institute of Planetology and Astrophysics of Grenoble in France

Who published it and when?

Answer: Philippe Delorme and his team did, back in JULY of this year as a submission to the journal of Astronomy and Astrophysics, it was accepted by the journal back in September, and is published in the December issue of this journal. here's the link for it:

Journal of Astronomy & Astrophysics

Once the journal was publish (available to the public by the way), some MSM places and sites like SPACE.com picked the story up.

So: real scientist, published their data in a real journal, and once the journal published it was then picked up by the MSM.......and it was THEN posted here on ATS.

You really don't know how this works, do you? Yet you are quick to judge.

Here's a piece of advice too: before you come in here slamming something, you might want to actually get to know the material. Your lack of understanding astronomy (even basic astronomy) is very visible.

An "AU" stands for Astronomical Unit and is the average distance from the sun to the Earth, or 92.9 million miles.

An "LY" or Light Year is the amount of time it takes light to travel in one year, that distance being 5,878,625,000,000 (that's 5.8 TRILLION miles).

It takes light just over 8 minutes to go 1 AU.

The world "rogue" can be used as a noun, as a intransitive verb, or, and this is how it is being used for this object, as a adjective. It can describe something as dangerous, yes, but it is also used to describe something that is alone, or by itself.

The term "Rogue Planet" is also known as an interstellar planet, nomad planet, free-floating planet or orphan planet.
If you bother to read the journal submission, they call it a "free-floating planet", but your average Joe on the street is more familiar with the term "Rogue Planet".

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I myself have seen some videos that do not look fake. I don't know if it is true or not. I did however see something that looked like a planet on google earth and the thing looks big and is unnamed. It has been marked by someone asking what it is. The I watched the other day on youtube a video that is taken from NASA ( I do not know what it is called but it shows Mars) it shows this huge umm, how do I explain this, you see Mars going across the screen and then there is this huge see through orb or circle and when it moves it pulls this ring out from Mars.The ring looks to be following the circle. I will see if I can find the video. I do not know how to embed the video but I will at least put the link when I find it. I still do not know if it is true or not. I saw video from what looks to be a cam at the Antarctic station and the Sun looks square. There are also lots of video from that cam that is said to show this planet or whatever it is. Maybe we all should stop believing or not believing in what others say and start watching the cam at Antarctic station. With all the idiots out there who like to make fakes and start looking for ourselves. With this one I think I will need to see for myself.
youtu.be...
youtu.be...
youtu.be...
Both of these guys have a few videos each that are really good videos. I do think one of them has the video of the square sun too.

edit on 16-11-2012 by kaidec because: To add videos

edit on 16-11-2012 by kaidec because: to fix the videos

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Guys,something irrelevant but I need to say it.I witnessed a suicide today.An old man about the age of 60 fell on purpose on the train tracks... He got injured but he is still alive.If things get down to this what can we do?
(P.S I livε in Greece,Athens)
Plus,I don't believe anything is gonna happen too.If something is gonna happen it will be man-made,to scare people and spread panic everywhere.Divide and conquer style...

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
wait til i get home and show you my new video. it mimicks the one on front page. second sun visible from 1pm-2pm roughly here on east coast. showed people at work and they said, "oh my gosh, you are right". its close.. sun setting south now. big events soon.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kaidec

its going by mars now why do you think they have the rover?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by GameKeeper
reply to post by kaidec

its going by mars now why do you think they have the rover?

hmmmmmmmmmm riiiiiiiight

second suns dont "go by mars" if it was there, it would be in a stable orbit......it would not be an object that would randomly roam around.

And of course, the fact it doesnt exist at all.......

you just dont get it do you, still this thread is fun

edit on 16-11-2012 by siliconpsychosis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

wait til i get home and show you my new video. it mimicks the one on front page. second sun visible from 1pm-2pm roughly here on east coast. showed people at work and they said, "oh my gosh, you are right". its close.. sun setting south now. big events soon.

only visible for an hour?

so its next to the sun, but also going past mars, and only visible for an hour?

bawahahahahahahahahahaha

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I looked right after you posted this. The Sun was still a bit above the horizon, and I saw nothing else. If it was visible at 1:00 to 2:00 near the Sun, then it also would have been visible near the Sun later (and earlier, for that matter).

Where could it have gone so quickly?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I was outside at that time, and nope.

Only one sun in the sky.

Can't wait to see another lens flare/window artifact video from you.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

I looked right after you posted this. The Sun was still a bit above the horizon, and I saw nothing else. If it was visible at 1:00 to 2:00 near the Sun, then it also would have been visible near the Sun later (and earlier, for that matter).

Where could it have gone so quickly?

exactly!

im willing to bet the next video will be from youtube.....or before its news

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join