It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abu Qatada wins appeal against deportation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Abu Qatada wins appeal against deportation & will be released on Bail

www.bbc.co.uk

Muslim cleric Abu Qatada is to be released on bail shortly, having won his appeal at the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (Siac).

His appeal was upheld after lawyers claimed he would not get a fair trial in Jordan, where he is accused of plotting bomb attacks.

He will be released from Long Lartin prison in Worcestershire on Tuesday, and must observe a curfew.

The government said it would seek to appeal against the ruling.

The home secretary had been assured by Jordan that no evidence gained through torture would be used against him.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12/11/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
So as I thought, Abu Qatada won his appeal against deportation and will now be released on bail.
This is a very difficult one and everybody wants justice to be done and believes everyone deserves a fair hearing.

But this guy is absolute trouble and is just playing the system and playing the "human rights" angle to the nth degree.

Hopefully the Government win their appeal and this guy finally leaves the country he hates so much and has to go and face the terrorism charges for which he is wanted In Jordan

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.ft.com...

www.itn.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I cannot understand for the life of me, how Hamza could be deported, but this monsterous oaf somehow manage to avoid being bought to trial in Jordan using the appeals process. Surely he is no more likely to suffer injustice at the hands of the Jordanian government, than Hamza was likely to suffer injustice at the end of his journey!

What rot. Bloody lawyers acting for this fat fool need shooting if you ask me. Its one thing being respectful of due process, but quite another to abuse that system, that is meant to be there for our protection! How does his continued presence in our nation protect the people? It doesnt. Our legal system should deal more robustly with these things.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Well you're spot on in what you say... it is a joke.

It's Abu Qatada though, not Abu Hamza.

Jordan made so many allowances and changes and so on to allow the safe and fair trial... the UK government made sure everything was in place and correct and in line with the concerns raised regarding Human Rights concerns.

SIAC have definitely made the wrong decision here.

We've been trying for about 12 years to deport this mug.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by TrueBrit

It's Abu Qatada though, not Abu Hamza.

I know. I didnt say any different.

SIAC have definitely made the wrong decision here.

We've been trying for about 12 years to deport this mug.

They certainly have made the wrong choice here. There is no way in the world that after all the diplomatic efforts (which must have been vast considering a)the time spent on them and b) the nature of the matters they must have touched on) that have been made towards getting Qatada off our isle and into the hands of justice, that the SIAC can justify his continued presence, nor thier reluctance to deport him. Every possible promise has been made. Surely the SIAC have made an enemy of justice seekers everywhere with this choice.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

This guy is nothing more than a trouble making clown, he praised Bin Laden after 9/11? WTF, anyone with half a brain knows that Bin Laden didn't commit 9/11.

He also has a problem with Jews so clearly we are talking about some loud mouthed, racist idiot who hides behind religion in order to preach his crap.

edit on 12-11-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I'd like to see Abu Qatada deported to stew in his juices, wherever he lands, and to reevaluate his opinion on what a 'wicked' nation actually means.

Sitting in a Jordanian jail cell would be an improvement on England according to his past statements. Seems like the Jordanian legal system is for 'other people' in his mind.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Indeed, I would me massively surprised if anyone would have an opinion supporting his right to stay here.

I just cannot believe he will be back, walking around on the paths of the UK and shopping and all the rest of it.

Unbelievable man...

:shk:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The more I think about this and I the more I see and read, the more annoying and unbelievable this is.
It's going to cost approximately £5m a year to keep him under surveillance and so on and he's essentially back on the streets, even though there is clear evidence that he has links to terrorism and was know as Bin Laden's right hand man in Europe...

And he essentially walks free and is now back home.

Seriously..

This is insane.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I learned a little more tonight.

Legally we can't deport him until Jordan changes their legal system a little more. So far, they've actually made improvements to the court procedures and standards of evidence in order to be a fair Court of Law to prosecute Qatada. This could ensure that future political dissidents and defendants (in Jordan) receive fairer trials and that torture will no longer be a standard procedure for 'asking questions.'

The upshot being that evidence from torture won't be admissible...great news right?! If it isn't useful in court, its use will decrease.

So as far as Qatada is concerned, he'll be leaving one day soon.

Ironically, his actions have led to better legal procedures in Jordan so maybe he should have stayed there and fought for his own people instead of inciting violence in this country?!

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

They changed their bloody constitution to "accommodate" this moron....

What else do we have to do? The UK Gov. Followed all the guidelines and the Jordanian Gov also made not only constitutional changes, but all manner of changes..

:shk:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I thought stuff like this only happened in spy novels.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
So this scumbag has finally been deported, good news.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by stargatetravels

And I hope to "insert false idol here" that when he steps off the plane they suddenly change their mind about torture... Oh well, you're there now, have fun with the electrodes on your gronyards, you pillock.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Hold on a moment...

The home secretary had been assured by Jordan that no evidence gained through torture would be used against him.

Fine...they ARE going to torture him then, but promise not to use evidence they get from him as a result of torture!

Well...that's all right then...sheesh!

Surely, promising not to torture him at all would be the answer that was sought?

No wonder we can't get rid of him. Methinks Jordan is deliberately playing word games, so they are not lumbered with him...as long as they hint they ARE going to torture him, using evidence gleaned in a trial or not, we can't send him to Jordan..and they know it...the sneaky gits.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
No wonder we can't get rid of him.

We have got rid of him though - the Jordanian Parliament had to pass a bill banning the use of evidence from torture but we have got shot of the vile creature.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Good riddance.

What about his familiy?

Regards

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Currently still living in Stanmore, North London in a tax payer funded 4 bedroom detached house.. The cheapest of which I can find on a property website is to the tune of £400k to buy, or £1500 a month to rent.

top topics

join