It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just what still gets manufactured in America?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
If they're chinese crap, why in the name of crack is it f&&*&^& so expensive for a chinese made crappy prada bag ( I don't think either coach bags or prada are very stylish myself). So we have overpriced Gar-bage (prounounce it garh bahggge) as well.

Just because something is made in China does not make it crap.

Quality is determined by the manufacturer. Don't insult the Chinese workers. They're just trying to make a living too.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This may come as a shock as to what the biggest export in America really is.

Garbage Is Now America’s Biggest Export

America’s biggest export is trash — the scrap paper and metal we throw away. The Chinese buy it, make products out of it, sell them back to us at enormous profit, and we turn it into trash again. America, the country that once made things for the world, is now China’s trash compactor.

www.pbs.org...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The real issue is manufacturing things with cheap labour, and selling the item at a 'fashionable' price. The only people that win are the moneybag designers who are overhyped, and the people who think they are special because they tote a prada. The people who made the the stuff are the losers, just eeking out a living.

I don't care how quality the leather is, it's a purse!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I signed up as a distributor for high quality air tools manufactured in Taiwan. I was informed by the head Rep that I could call the tools American made if I wanted by adding one part to it, and it could have even been the made in America label which they would have supplied. I see many of their tools out there sold by big well recognized tool companies with the Made in America label on some of them. They were a very high quality tool and they were just following the rules that were out there and accepted by our government. I liked the guy I dealt with

If you do not believe me than look up electric log splitters. You will notice the American made ones are the same as the Chinese versions. Instructions can be printed here in America for these and make them look authentic. So adding a small handle and requiring them to look a little different and you make more money. The American version is a hundred bucks+ more on the logsplitters.

The problem isn't with the foreign companies, it is with the deception in the controlling agencies of our country. I don't blame the company I was dealing with at all, I blame our government for letting these American importers to deceive us.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Sorry didn't read all the posts
But here's a few for you to ponder

100% of your military's
Ammunition
Belts
Helmets
ID tags
Body armour

93% of your domestically produced paint

36% of home appliances

And

21% of your office furniture

Are made by your prisoners in your prisons

Oh ........and zippos........ I think they are still made in the US

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AudioOne

Well , I Think America still Leads the World when it comes to Manufacturing the News ........U.S.A. ! U.S.A !...............

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Hi Point Firearms are 100% made in the USA, no imported components or parts.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

If they're chinese crap, why in the name of crack is it f&&*&^& so expensive for a chinese made crappy prada bag ( I don't think either coach bags or prada are very stylish myself). So we have overpriced Gar-bage (prounounce it garh bahggge) as well.

Quality is determined by the manufacturer. Don't insult the Chinese workers. They're just trying to make a living too.

I have to agree there, much of the quality is good, or very good.
What is not so good is the methods that have been used to manufacture are now banned in other countries, for a variety of reasons, mostly environmental. But there are other things to watch out for, which could be down to a lack of understanding or clarity from a foreign importer, (say the US) for what those goods are made from. Leaded paint for instance, it's cheaper and if the manufacturer is not given a checklist for the paint type to be used, then it is likely that leaded paint would be used.... the bean counters at work, nothing new to most manufacturing, they will all try it on. Guys in the US will remember the GM Corvair, and the Ford Pinto, regardless of the non too straightforwardness of court cases, it was still down to the bean counters and convention, rather than 'could do better' . The one caveat I make is that the ol' Fender strat in the US is better than the Chinese one, but in sound only, perhaps though the Chinese might catch on, and see if their patent license is missing something, and yes, there are so many American patents being licensed to China, and imported back to the US..and everywhere else.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
They still make circuit boards in Calumet Michigan although who knows who makes the components. That is strange that such a little town has a factory like that.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Lies

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by scooterstrats

I always use this example. The typical American wants a $100k/yr salary to make burgers, but then want's burgers for $1.00 each over the counter. It's just natural and drives manufacturing to cheaper places. Water seeks it's own level.
edit on 12-11-2012 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The next time you get a tattoo, take a hooker and a six pack.
Those are still made here

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Here's coffee made in America

www.usacoffeecompany.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

Your 100% wrong except for the zippo but I'm too tired to argue so live withit

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AudioOne

Weapons, tons and tons of weapons. There parts built by slave labor in the prisons. North k, nazi's, and china eat your heart out!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Annee

I signed up as a distributor for high quality air tools manufactured in Taiwan. I was informed by the head Rep that I could call the tools American made if I wanted by adding one part to it, and it could have even been the made in America label which they would have supplied. I see many of their tools out there sold by big well recognized tool companies with the Made in America label on some of them. They were a very high quality tool and they were just following the rules that were out there and accepted by our government. I liked the guy I dealt with

If you do not believe me than look up electric log splitters. You will notice the American made ones are the same as the Chinese versions. Instructions can be printed here in America for these and make them look authentic. So adding a small handle and requiring them to look a little different and you make more money. The American version is a hundred bucks+ more on the logsplitters.

The problem isn't with the foreign companies, it is with the deception in the controlling agencies of our country. I don't blame the company I was dealing with at all, I blame our government for letting these American importers to deceive us.

It doesn't sound right does it.

I worked a lot of temp jobs. But I'm one of those people who wants to know everything and goes beyond my position to learn more. Hence I often spent months at one company being shifted to many different departments.

This subject did come up once. But it was a long time ago. Maybe laws have changed.

But - - I think if its an American owned company - - parts can be manufactured off shore - - then shipped to the states for assembly. And/or - - non-American parts can be purchased if that is the only availability.

If its assembled in the US - - that makes it American made.

I'm sure there are a lot of specifics and loopholes.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy

Originally posted by Annee

I have to agree there, much of the quality is good, or very good.
What is not so good is the methods that have been used to manufacture are now banned in other countries, for a variety of reasons, mostly environmental.

Oh Yeah! When the dollar is the bottom line - - every opportunity will be used or explored (or exploited).

But it is not the fault of the workers. If they are required to do quality work - - they do it.

A friend married a Chinese woman FOB. And she was of a high level social status as her mother worked for the government. But - even with that some of the stuff she told me is shocking. They definitely need to improve their Human Rights.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AudioOne

Guitars (Fender, PRS, Ernie Ball)

How can you forget Gibson guitars... or have I been Rick Rolled and are they being made in Russia now?

btw..the USA seems to make excellent weapons of mass distruction and all kinds of advanced surveillance tec. Not to forget to mention all the other defence (read offence) weapon stuff we do not ever see and is not available for export but swollows up a big part of the tax money which could be used for succesful repairing the economic health of the US.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
since you have a computer, you can google that yourself....with all due respect,we here are not your personal researchers.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I'm sure someone's already posted this, but just in case they haven't...

American Made Products and/or Services

reply to post by Annee

Ahh...shoulda known
Good list
It's not that hard to find things still made here. Some things though, you're just out of luck on...

edit on 11/12/2012 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join