It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just what still gets manufactured in America?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I decided to put this in Political Madness since there is a lot of talk on certain threads about jobs. Some of the talk is belittling people for not finding jobs or for not making jobs. Few discussions revolve around what actually is possible in the current market. There is also talk about exports and imports. What do we have that we can actually export? So I want this thread to not become a sludge slinging left-right war. I want this thread to be a compendium of what products still get manufactured in the US, what products don't, what may have recently changed, and so on. I am not some guru with a list. This will be a group effort. I shall start:

Goods still made in the USA:
Certain musical gear like high end amplifiers (Mesa/Boogie, RedPlate, PWE)
Guitars (Fender, PRS, Ernie Ball)
Cars (GM)
Construction (Houses etc.. can't export (other then expertise.))
Book Publishers
Paper

Goods that I would like to know if they any are made in the USA:
Any clothing? shoes?
Any computer electronics? chips?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
since you have a computer, you can google that yourself....with all due respect,we here are not your personal researchers.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Nothing. China makes it and America consumes it.

Wait - Hollywood and Disney

Ain't all bad. Though the actors seem to be Australian lately.
edit on 12-11-2012 by DariusHames because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Complacency, dissent and a sense of entitlement.

line two.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Fluoride.

link   
Hamburgers, Coca Cola, fries.
edit on 12-11-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by AudioOne

A lot of things are still made in the U.S. despite rumors to the contrary. Here's a good link:

www.americansworking.com...

edit on 11/12/2012 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I thought it would be an interesting thread with information that you might not gleen easily unless you are familiar with the product. For example, I know about boutique music gear manufacturers who might not be common knowledge or even immediately googlable if someone does not look for it. If that is the response I get, it really doesn't matter that much to me anyway. I find the made in the US products I need. If you don't want to have a civil discussion, fine.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by manta78

Interesting link. I noticed that the category that I am familiar with does not list all the manufacturers I am familiar with. I'll need to send them an email to update some of the listings.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Medical technology
Aeronautics (Aircraft)
transportation (cars, buses, trains)
Advanced weaponry

The good ole days of making the best tools is disappearing. There are a few companies left that still drop forge quality handtools here, but most have been replaced with cheap imports that do not last as long and are not nearly as pleasant to use.

Our iconic "Americana" is now imported. I remember when things Like "Levis" were wanted by everyone in the world...they are now made in sweatshops outside of the country. Most tennis shoes as well...in fact, nearly all textiles and apparel are made "somewhere cheap". As far as I know, the only textiles and apparel made here are military based and still have raw materials imported (bolts of linen, cotton cloth, etc)

When we saw fit to drop stiff tariffs on imports coming from slave wage based countries, we sealed our own doom. Those tariffs were there to balance the playing field and discourage the abuse of workers in poor, underdeveloped countries. Our greed caused this. Why pay $10.00 for something made here when you can buy a cheap knock-off import for $4.00. It is, however, what it is.
edit on 11/12/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Criminals and heart disease.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I own a beer soap business.

I manufacture my high quality all natural beer soap in the U.S.!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAngryFarm

I dunno why but that appeals to me

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DariusHames

It's awesome stuff. No dangerous chemicals, good for your skin, and since I live in Wisconsin I keep it local by only using beers brewed in the Badger State.

Doing my part to help keep Wisconsinites employed.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

It's really up to you to make an effort to look before you make purchases........

I personally know a person who was in the business of selling Gibson guitars, and had to switch to a competitor.

It should be a fun hunt for anybody who insists on American goods only. Been to a produce market lately? We are getting into the time of year where most of it will come from Chile.

Just walk through any store, and pick up an item that catches you eye. It will be a challenge as to need versus want.

That's why the US is in such a pickle and why so few goods are produced here.

It's all about the Benjamin's and greed.

We've worked ourselves for wants, over jobs.

edit on 12-11-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

link   
Beer Soap sounds awesome! Thank you for thinking outside the box!

link   
Most is made elsewhere then assembled here with the claim "made in America."

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Beer soap does sound awesome. Does your business have a website?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I believe there are tools.the ones that don`t break when using them. Filters like car oil filters and such. And farm equipment. Nails. Knifes. Guns. Camping gear.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I do.

I'm switching ecommerce platforms today, so ordering will be restored in 2 hours.

Is posting the link to it against the ATS terms? If so, I'd be happy to send you a message with a link.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join