It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli military reports 'direct hits' on targets in Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
cbc.ca breaking news ticker is reporting the above headline.

Attempting to find more on the story and will post updates as they become available.

Alternative Source:
Toronto Star

Israeli military officials say “Syrian mobile artillery” was hit. The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity under military guidelines, gave no further details.

I believe this situation could escalate quickly. With Israel now returning fire directly on Syria military targets, it seems likely the Syria civil war will spill over it's borders.
edit on 12-11-2012 by fenceSitter because: (no reason given)

Alternative Source:
JPost

For second day in a row, Israel responds to Syrian shell landing in Golan, this time hitting Syrian mortar launchers; previous warning shot was first direct engagement with Syrian military since 1973.

At this point I have not found any reports of who is actually firing out of Syria. I would imagine that Assad's government as well as certain groups within the FSA would both have their own reasons for shelling Israel.

cbc.ca
CBC is reporting the shelling is coming from Syrian government forces which makes sense - not sure if the FSA has mobile artillery units capable of launching shells into Israel.

With an increase in rockets attacks from Gaza as well, Israel must have its back up against the wall. I guess we'll have to see if and/or to what extent the IDF will respond.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

JERUSALEM (AP) — The Israeli military says it scored "direct hits" on targets in Syria after responding to stray mortar fire from its northern neighbor.

The military says that Israeli tanks opened fire on targets in Syria on Monday after the mortar round landed in an open area in the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights.

Israeli military officials say "Syrian mobile artillery" was hit. The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity under military guidelines, gave no further details.
Source

If that may help a bit...that is one story carrying it. Sounds like a busy day

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
meanwhile they're also bombing gaza...

What a peaceful nation Israel is...

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Yeah....I guess it's that habit of Palestinians firing rockets and mortars into residential areas that always sends them off on a bad day.

Gaza rocket hits yard of Israeli house, as violence enters third day

Lets not make victims out of fully engaged combatants. It's a two sided fight over there.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Won't be long before Iran gets into this one. Looks like the sh!t is hitting the fan.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Yes how dare they return fire.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Earthquakes, birds, a snake and aeroplanes, Lenny Bruce is not afraid.

Seems to happen a lot. Is it for real this time?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Probably real but why in Hell would Assad want to start anything with Israel right now?
He's much smarter than that and has his hands full with the FSA.
Who, btw have mortars aplenty.
Lob a few at Israel, run away, blame Syrian Army.
Got it,

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Probably real but why in Hell would Assad want to start anything with Israel right now?
Got it,

I have no doubts Assad has nothing to do with this.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I think Assad WANTS to being neighbouring countries into it, perhaps good ol' Putin has had a little chat. Part of me believes a third world war will kick off with in the next 20 years and part of me doesn't. You heard what Assad said, foreign intervention could be catastrophic for both the Atlantic and the Pacific regions, isn't that a hint?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krono
I think Assad WANTS to being neighbouring countries into it, perhaps good ol' Putin has had a little chat. Part of me believes a third world war will kick off with in the next 20 years and part of me doesn't. You heard what Assad said, foreign intervention could be catastrophic for both the Atlantic and the Pacific regions, isn't that a hint?

He doesn't want outsiders in Syria. If he did, he would of bombed Israel months ago. This to me is the work of the FSA.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Again, he said he isn't a Western puppet nor did the West create it (kinda did actually).

And in my opinion, he's lost it, he's gone bonkers and didn't expect the rebels to last this long and do a pretty good job (from their perspective). He's not thinking properly at all, if I was him I'd retire and move to China or Russia.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

look they've been fighting since the dawn of time. They'll always keep on fighting. That's just the way they are.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Guess a warning shot wasn't enough.....
had to purposefully commit an act of war...
If Syria really intended to drag Israel or Turkey into this conflict ,i'm pretty sure it would involve a massive air or ground/missle strike with chemical or biological weapons.It's an insult to intelligence to believe(by morons) the Syrian govt has willfully attacked it's neighbors,Yet it's used as an excuse for targeting and attacks (for many days after)which apparently is completely justifyed
I can't believe there are still people that refuse to believe whats going on here..

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Both Assad and the rebels have reasons to bomb Israel.Just like Saddam firing skids into Israel hoping to turn his troubles into an Arab-Israeli fight taking the pressure off him.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
You know, I'm a pretty strong voice against war, and I really think the west needs to keep it's hands out of this. I've stated reasons for that in many other threads. How ever, Israel is starting to piss me off. I really think we should just let them fight it out. They want a war, go ahead. They are shelling Gaza, they have openly admitted to attacking targets IN Syria. I don't know whether or not Iran will step into this, but if they do I'd be shocked given the whole world has their eyes on them.

It's come to a point these nations want a fight sooo bad, we may as well just let them do it. Syria is in a civil war. I feel terrible for the innocent individuals in the middle of it, but SYRIAN's are trying to do what they can to sort it out. Why not let them? How many nations have had civil wars? On side wins, and the nation changes. Why is it our job to decide who should win?

Hell, in this case Israel needs to chill the heck out, and maybe an ass whooping will do that for them. Two fronts now, TWO. Israel seems to biting off a huge chunk of the war pie, and it's not going to settle so well.

I know this may even come off as a little hypocritical given my views on war, but sometimes you have to let a child full down and scrape his knees or he will never learn and always expect someone to pick him up and coddle him.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Krono

How are the rebels doing a good job? They are a bunch of terrorists loaded up with western weapons. To think the west are openly supporting the very same group accused of 9/11 (Al Queda are in Syria apparently fighting with the FSA) and now people like you are also backing that same group in to topple Assad.... IDo you see how ridiculous this scenario is? The very same thing happened in the 80's and look where that ended up.. How the F**k can you people support whats going on over there? Because Bin Laden is out of the picture now, are they good guys or something? Seriously...
edit on 13-11-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I just posted a thread about this in news section. I didn't see it under Middle East forum.

either way, my opinion probably isn't too popular but nethertheless I will share it. I believe Israel and also Turkey have the right to defend their borders. I tend to think Syria has directly attacked both Countries and then claims it as a mistake.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Got it,

Well, I could be way off here but I watched a doco just yesterday about Ukraine and it stated that weapons/missiles etc purchased BY Saudi Arabia were found in Syria. The doco did not say who was using them...whether it was Gov or rebel fighters.

Either way, I found it interesting, the Syrian Gov would make a direct purchase wouldn't they? They would not need another supplier? Could be for the Syrian rebels but I am starting to think, there is a lot more going on especially after seeing the doco.

edit on 13/11/2012 by Thurisaz because: spelling

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
well, this maybe a waste of time. I just tried to have contribute in another thread but all that thread is doing is arguing.

I have found some info and am just reading up on other stuff now.

IRDIPLOMACY

The Middle East has been regularly the scene of a game played by three legendary players: Iran, Turkey, and Egypt. The main issue is about entry of new players. Some parties are trying to enter the power cycle by intensifying the existing hostilities. The Zionist, Arab and even anti-revolution lobbies are trying to make Saudi Arabia and Israel believe that they are big powers, while this is not a fact. The main power belongs to the same three traditional players. Saudi Arabia can only play a role when Iran is cornered. Therefore, they do their best to weaken Iran. Even Israel can only play a role when those traditional players have been weakened.

well, Prince Bandar Bin Sultan rumoured to have been assassinated by Assad's regime.

DIGITALJOURNAL

If reports concerning the death of Prince Bandar Bin Sultan are true it could see the conflict in Syria spread beyond its borders and into the wider region.

According to the DEBKAfile report, the Saudi government has declared a black out on the incident. However, the only 'confirmation' of an attack that killed Prince Bandar Bin Sultan was reported by the Tehran Times which quoted a story from the non-profit Paris based Voltaire Network which cited unofficial sources who stated Monday that Prince Bandar had been killed in retaliation for the Damascus bombing which saw President Assad lose key members of his inner circle.

edit on 13/11/2012 by Thurisaz because: add extract

top topics

join