It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18 US states petition to secede after Obama's victory!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
What the heck's going on? It seems the United States will soon become the Disunited States of America! 18 states have petitioned for secession from the union to create their own new government!!

Reports say that as of Sunday, November 11, 2012, 18 states have petitioned the Obama administration for secession from the union to "create [their] own new government." The petitions come within days of the presidential election.

The first petition came from Louisiana. The Examiner reports that on November 7, "Michael E" from Slidell, Louisiana, filed the petition at the White House "We the People" site, requesting that Louisiana be allowed to secede.

The petition, citing the Declaration of Independence, said it is the right of the people to form a new government when the one in power is not the "consent of the governed."

Each petition on the White House site has 30 days to reach a threshold of 25,000 signatures in order for the Obama administration to consider the request.

The states that have signed the petitions for independence are:

1. Louisiana,
2. Texas,
3. Florida,
4. Alabama,
5. North Carolina,
6. Kentucky,
7. Mississippi,
8. Indiana,
9. North Dakota,
10. Montana,
11. Colorado,
12. Oregon,
13. New Jersey,
14. New York,
15. South Carolina,
16. Arkansas,
17. Georgia,
18. Missouri.

However, according to Red Alert Politics: "these petitions serve more to make a point than to present a serious proposition. They are a physical symbol of the deep resentment for the direction in which the United States is moving under the Obama administration."

Read more: www.digitaljournal.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Well...

I suppose it attempts to make more of a serious point than whining to strangers on the internet all day. Only just slightly though.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I live in Texas, we always want to secede...except when there's wildfires and we call DC for help and complain if we don't get it fast enough

But once they're out we want to secede dammit!
edit on 12-11-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
When they say these states have petitioned to go it alone, just what exactly does that mean?

Who exactly has decided that in each individual state? Do they do a statewide vote? Is this the so-called leaders of the states deciding this, or the people?

Do they even know what it would entail?

There seems to be many jumping on the bandwagon of going their own way, but i wonder how much worse they would be if they tried?

These are all questions by the way, not opinions. I'd like to know just how much they would give up or gain by doing this? How does it affect currency, utilities, laws and rights etc?

CX.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
When they say these states have petitioned to go it alone, just what exactly does that mean?

Just a few angry loons that put up the petitions and likely advertised them in forums.

No state government has officially requested or started a petition to secede/

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone else is feeling like this . But as for me the next 6 months i feel like something crazy will go down . These next 4 years will be studied in years to come .. I'm not saying the states will do this .. But these will be wild times ..

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
IIR, this is just a petition that people ahve been passing around and not from the state legislature (the only real and binding resolution.) More symbolic/venting if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
I live in Texas, we always want to secede...except when there's wildfires and we call DC for help and complain if we don't get it fast enough

But once they're out we want to secede dammit!
edit on 12-11-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

What an interesting thought I had. Why are these state governments asking DC to send people to help? Is there something wrong with the men in Texas? And that goes for every state as well.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
sounds interesting, would this mean that if it when't through they would be seen as there on country's?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Much of the same happened in 2009, with many States reaffirming their right to secede from the Union.

I'm not familiar with the actual process that's involved. But, petitioning the administration for permission? Not only does that just not sound right, it's plain rediculous.

Each State voluntarily joined, it stands to reason they can leave whenever that want. As long as it's the will of the people.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I'm really confused by the attention this is getting. It has all the authority or meaning of Occupy camps. It's private citizens expressing their own opinions and badly misguided ones at that. Secession??? Yeah.. Right.. The U.S. Government WOULD put that down as hard as any nation we've seen in the world. Think Tienanmen Square Massacre in China. It would happen here if pushed far enough.

..and what if they DID succeed? Then what? Most of the states even talking about this have no domestic production capabilities to do anything more than become a 3rd world nation in no time flat. California, Montana, Texas and Maine are a few I could think of that MIGHT have a fair chance of getting something accomplished....after they militarily defeated the U.S. military.

It's an interesting idea to see toyed with. I just hope these folks that put their names down for Uncle to record remember PRECISELY where the line is between Free Speech and sedition as a formal charge. If we're paranoid about Government watchers and FEMA camps, this kind of thing is begging them to go forward on all of it as quickly as possible, IMO.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

These are all questions by the way, not opinions. I'd like to know just how much they would give up or gain by doing this? How does it affect currency, utilities, laws and rights etc?

CX.

Countries smalle than any of your American states do exist.... Denmark is an "entire" country. Our total population is half that of New York city. We have a working government, healthcare, social security, we sell oil, pork and fish, and beer.
Even with 5 million people and importing a lot of things, we get by more than just fine. Before the crisis I think we were named the most happy nation in the world.
Small is good, small is manageable, I can clearly see why those states would want to set themselves free. I could also see all of them operate far better on their own than constantly being responsible for the shape of the entire union.

In EU we are now feeling the crap of being a large unity... a extra bill of 9 billion Euros which is to be devided between the member states. This is what happens once the machinery gets to large to operate.
You lose oversight... you start falling to the will of private companies and banks that shove money into the hands of amoral politicians.

Let them secede... respect that the union that is the US has in fact failed and is now costing the well being of the common man and woman, enslaving them with debt and poor health.
Accept that what is does NOT need to be, if it is indeed not the best option. Respect that other options can open up and that those options are fully acceptable in order to obtain a better balance within each state.

It's not like you'd be fighting each other or one state would invade the other (although invasion has certainly become an American trademark). You'd still be free to trade and work together, just under different laws and circumstances... AND MOST IMPORTANTLY... you could rid yourself of those disgusting, amoral pieces of # that make up the FED and you could rid yourself of the un-democratic congress and the worthless White House.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Likelihood of this occurring: 1 in a Trillion

If it does, occur, I'm moving to Canada so I can watch these states get their butt's smacked by some next level DARPA tech. Seriously, it's a damned election. No one was all up in arms like this in 2001. Chill the hell out.

We are supposed to be the flag ship nation of the Earth, and this is how we act after a damned election? You kidding me?

Humanity, sometimes I just...ugh

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I think that would cause a sh*t storm of problems for all sides, that's why I think it will never happen. Also, does anything compel Obama to accept the request? 25000 signatures just to review the request?

and indeed...one member posed an important question...who decides that in the name of the state? Surely not the people?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
If you sign this petition doesn't that mean the government will know who you are and can put you on some kind of terrorist list? You know, for being against the United States?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Those petitions carry about as much weight as an ATS poll on the subject.

Personally speaking, if the majority of the residents in a state want to secede, I fully support them. The "petitioners" in the article, however, do not meet that requirement.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

NO. These states are not petitioning to secede. Nut-job yay-hoos are petitioning. For the state to be petitioning, it would require the state legislatures to do so -- and even then, too bad, because one doesn't leave the Union after joining. This point was proven by the US Civil War. And moreover, some of those states -- Oregon, New York and New Jersey -- no how, no way do they care to leave the Union, and I would imagine that the vast majority in those other states wouldn't either.

So FAIL on the thread title, OP.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Just a few angry loons that put up the petitions and likely advertised them in forums.

Yeah, the same kind of angry loons that supposedly started this country. And had just as many people calling them loons. I'm not sure why everyone jumps on this bandwagon so quickly. At least they pulled together a coherent group and attempted to actually do something. Something that could cost them dearly in the long run.

No state government has officially requested or started a petition to secede/

Exactly. They should be petitioning their own state government first. When a state government declares their independence from the union, it will be a different matter altogether. That's when the fireworks begin. However, that isn't likely to happen. All the state governments are bought and paid for in those areas where it counts.

But I wouldn't count these folks out. It is groups like these, however "loony", that can create a pandemic of social and civil unrest. As evenly polarized as this country seems to be, chaos is entirely possible.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I think the distinction needs to be made between certain residents of a state and the state proper.

Just because some people are upset at the loss and want to secede doesn't mean that it is the policy of the state government (yet).

I'm sure there has been a degree of this type of things ever since we've had states and people that live in them.

This will go no where and the way I see it the way it is just how certain people are expressing their grief. They'll eventually get over it and direct their energies elsewhere.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I think all 50 states should govern themselves

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join