It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homesteading (Survival Guide)?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Surviving Off Off-Grid: Decolonizing the Industrial Mind

Great start, excellent book... more of a Why To than a How To, which is a crucial foundation!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Dang man. I am glad i made this thread. This has given me tons of information to consider. Thanks a lot guys. This is exactly what i was looking for.
edit on 12-11-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Thanks for the thread...& to everyones contributions...lots of great knowledge shared here~

Did you watch the video clips of Alone in the Wilderness...because its from a self-made documentary of Dick Proenneke filming himself 'alone in the wilderness' of Alaska making a cabin by himself and sustaining himself~

Probably easier and more entertaining than some books to actually watch someone filming themselves doing it!

Best wishes to all!

∞LOVE
mayallsoulsbefree∞

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Go to Google books, and search on 'farming' and 'homesteading' or 'tanning'. I have downloaded many books from the 1890s and turn of the century that deal with life in the pre-technology days. Absolutely priceless information.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Why do you want to learn all that? In a SHTF scenario after a very short time they'll be tons of homes available for you to take your pick of if you make it. If you find such a book though please post the title on here so we can also go check it out ok.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Hey Fellow Survivalists!!!

For good books on Survival, Pioneering and other such topics..

These can not be beat in my opinion

Foxfire Books

I have several and the information in them is AMAZING

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Great we can all go out and become grizzle adoms

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The Guide to Self-Sufficiency by John Seymour.

He was a Brit (d. a decade ago) but had farmed in practically every climate, pulling plows with everything from reindeer to elephant. Only a few pages on any given topic, but extremely worth-while starting info. I have used a number of his ideas on beermaking, bread making, and butchering. I have found it practical and it fit in with my own background doing farm labor.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
The great book of self sufficiency enough said its a wealth of information it gives advice on animal husbandry,building energy, water and gardening it gives advice for those with limited land to work with and those who have more and it was written a few decades ago, which I think is a plus it's hard to find for free on PDF but possible but can be bought used fairly cheap it is a must read for anyone seriously wanting information on the self sufficient lifestyle

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I bought a book several years ago from a outdoor store..Cabelas I think....it was called....a trappers life in the wilderness I believe...I have read it several times, it covers trapping, tanning skins the natural way with things from mother nature that are within the ares of a trapper...It covers building a shanty, and a cabin, for both long term stays and short quick over night shelters...
The thing I really like about the book is, it not only tells you how to do it, but it has pictures drawn in it for you to see what the writer is saying incase you don't understand what you read.

Another book that is better than the show, is alone in the wild(wilderness) twin lakes Alaska..the book is 10 times better than the documentary.

The SAS survival book/guide is also another good book to have on hand.

Depending on where your going to be living, starting over..I would also look at the climate and growing season there, and get a book on what to plant and not plant for food in that area...

if you look around on surivial sites and read posts, you will see that several books or things always get brought up for the areas your looking to located...good luck.
edit on 5-12-2012 by saltdog because: spelling

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Hey Fellow Survivalists!!!

For good books on Survival, Pioneering and other such topics..

These can not be beat in my opinion

Foxfire Books

I have several and the information in them is AMAZING

Good stuff I just ordered the 1st book of the series, will be here friday, looks like some good weekend reading!!! Thanks for the link.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join