It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man has been arrested for posting an image of a burning poppy!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandStrategy

I lol at you... Any soldier worth his salt is with me... Why??? ..Coz its the truth...

Enjoyxxxx

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Donahue

Pretty sure this was the UK bro.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Not true troll

Try again :-)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Poppys aren't even illegal, this is stupid.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

I lol at you... Any soldier worth his salt is with me... Why??? ..Coz its the truth...

Enjoyxxxx

Well we've all heard your dramatic statements before. You made some the other week about the soldiers marching on London, only ended up with a handful of people who showed.

Primarily all that you say seems to be ego stroking or just complaining and ridiculing other people for not treating you as the awesome servant of society that you think you are

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrandStrategy

This is one of the reasons why Remembrance day is losing its impact for the younger generations, because people no longer just associate it with the heroes who fought in wars like WWII or WWI, it's now associated with the current lot who are fighting wars we know aren't right, helping to kill at least tens of thousands of innocents in the process. It's a shame that the heroes who laid down their lifes to defend our freedoms are having their image tarnished by association with soldiers fighting immoral wars for financial gain

Your comment is unsettling reminiscent of the misguided criticisms put forward by some factions of the anti-war movement in the U.S. after Vietnam.

Even those involved now regret their roles in blaming the individuals who served along with the leaders who ordered them to war.

The U.S. still has a deep social scar and carries a burden of guilt collectively over what we see now was our own failing of the Vietnam veterans.

The truth is your young soldiers are a much more educated, professional and ultimately moral force than the military that their great grandfathers served in which you hold in esteem.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by celticniall

Something important to point out here is the man was not arrested. He was taken in for questioning. There is a big difference there. They will probably question him about his affiliations not so much the posting itself. I am not saying it is right, I am just saying he was not arrested and charged with anything.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Cant edit my responses...

Wonder why...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

What advancements that had been gained as a result of two World Wars are now being gradually eroded as Cameron takes us headlong back to something resembling Dickensian times society.

The suggestion is that it was once right and that yesterday's youth were made of sterner stuff who did the right thing.

If push comes to shove I think todays youth would step up to the mark - as they always have done - and people know that and use it and exploit when it seems fit.
But as the world moves on and that 'sterner stuff' is no longer required and desirable it is actively discouraged - until the next war when those of 'sterner stuff' will step up to the plate again, only to eventually be sold down the river yet again.

I am incredibly passionate about both England and The Union and I know that I too get carried away at times with that passion - and the tragic thing is that I know that passion is getting used and manipulated to serve an agenda that doesn't have my or the vast majority of my countrymen's best interests at heart.

... inequality and exploitation is written on every page of history.

And the tragic thing is that it doesn't have to be that way.

After the Second World War returning servicemen demanded great improvements in their standard of living and quality of life etc - all of which are gradually being taken away from us as memories fade and the propoganda continues.

The government want to do more for returning servicemen and those who are struggling to find places to live.

And so they should!

It would also help if the government just actually built some houses.

A planned and co-ordinated house building and renovating programme would provide much needed work for the building trade, take people off benefits and provide decent and affordable housing and possibly help reduce costs of privately rented accomodation.

It's an absolute no-brainer to me.

Instead, the government are happier to throw disabled people out of their homes and hand over the keys to ex- squaddies to appease the Daily Mail, Sun and Telegraph readers.

It stinks of popularism and only succeeds in papering over the cracks.

There's something fundamentally wrong with a society that needs a prompt and a nudge in the ribs to remember the war dead.

There's lot's of things sadly wrong with our society - it needs a full system re-boot. (Stealing one of stu's phrases, hope you don't mind mate).

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by cartenz
I thought you were meant to extract the sticky white sap and let it dry before you burn it? I must have been doing it wrong all those years??
Ha ha,i was thinking the same.The irony is after Tony Blair got us into the Iraq and Afghanistan wars the country was flooded with the poppy's you speak of.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
He is probably an extremists, they have a thing with fire.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
at the end of the day, mother lost her son and a father lost a son.

that's remembrance day.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Should never have gotten sucked into the service of the elite who send us off to die......
That said many of us civvies lost relatives ya know........fathers, brothers,husbands.....family......
We never sent you anywhere.....if you didnt come back to help us get these parasites off all of our backs....i guess your mates did die in vain.
We are waiting to be led....by those of us who have the skill.....maybe its you.....?
Dont get me wrong either because i feel your pain.....
I still think that image is very much appropriate.....to me it represents the millions who never really had to die........but for greedy evil men the world is filled with people to be manipulated and written off as casually as flicking a spent ciggy butt.....
peace out ..s

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Yeah, tell me why I should be enraged because as far as I know a poppy is a red flower that they use to make herion and someone had a picture of a flower burning and I should be angry why ? Or to put it better, what am I missing here.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
^^ The fact some disrespectful prick got a stern talking too by the PO PO for being a disrespectful prick I suppose.

Freedom of speech is 1 thing but the only way we are going to come together as a society is if we weed out idiots who incite the opposite.
Sure to you it's just a flower but to others "who's country it is by the way" it is something much more.

Someone who turns up to Malcolm X memorial or some such event in a clan suit waving a confederate flag & burning an effigy of a black guy getting lynched isn't hurting anyone but he dam sure going out of his way to piss some people off.

Someone who turns up to a end of Ramadan feast waving new crusade banners glass the ME & burning Korans isn't hurting anyone either but does that mean it sould be allowed NO, does that mean he should do hard time again NO.

Look at it this way if it had been a Malcolm X/ML King rally they would of killed the white guy, if it was a Muslim ceremony you would have riots and rape/murder around the world, so mehh I guess the Brits are still 1 up on the others in their response.

Should of saved themselves the hassle & sent his address to the EDL & let them have a "friendly" chat with him.
Burning a poppy or spreading pics of it on remembrance day in the UK or Australia is just a .jpg version of hate speech & should be dealt with in the same way, otherwise we have no hope of putting old grievances aside & will never come together.
The millions who would of taken to the street if it was a Koran should be doing the same over this & cleaning their own house, but I would say a large portion are glad he did it.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Oh thank goodness it wasn't a picture of a burning PUPPY!

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by celticniall
Where does this end?

A guy arrested for posting an image to facebook of a burning poppy.

Now no matter if people agree or disagree with the actual image, what criminal offence has been committed here?

....and where does it end?

Man held for FB image

I have no opinion of wearing poppys and think everyone should have the right to choose. Same way as we should be able to post what we like..........this is just nuts!

Well, I would agree that arresting someone for a flower was a bit nuts, but is that actually what happened? The article states, "Officers were contacted at around 4pm yesterday and alerted to the picture, which was reportedly accompanied by an offensive comment." So, was it the picture, or the supposed comment, that got him arrested? Does anyone know what the comment was reported to be? If he made some sort of threat, that could be a valid reason. If he simply stated an opinion, though, that would not be enough. Well, should not be. Anyone have more details?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by Domo1

November 11th is remembrance day in the uk for all those who lost their lives in wars. People wear a cardboard poppy to represent the poppies that grew on the fields of France and Belgium after the 1st world war. They have become somewhat sacrosanct in the British psyche, so abusing these icons is taken with a lot of offence. So someone has burnt one posted I n the net and for some reason the police are holding him.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 12-11-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

It's a pity they haven't done it before, but oh thats right, he's white and born in the UK.

So it's ok for a certain religious group to burn them, but not the indigenous.

I dont agree with what he did but the law should be for all and not just because you are white and indigenous

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by WorkingClassMan

I can agree with most of what you have stated, but as i have stated the law should be for all, including racial/religious groups who do the same thing. Until then we wont have harmony and the police are just making a rod for their own backs

I'm not affiliated to this site, but because of the uproar over the kid this week it took a bit of digging to get to this, what happened to this lot when they burnt a poppy...nothing
www.bnp.org.uk...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join