It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man has been arrested for posting an image of a burning poppy!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I thought you were meant to extract the sticky white sap and let it dry before you burn it? I must have been doing it wrong all those years??

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Firstly, my friends,
War is the system by which evil old men make exhorbitant profits, and kill off the best and the bravest of our young people so they dont lead the rest in deposing them from their control.
The Burning poppy is a perfect expression of the total waste in humanity that is the result of such wars.
Nov.11 i find to be a piece of disgusting mind control ritual which keeps the people from realising the truth by
emotionalising the fallen victims of the scam.
I applaud this act and if you cannot understand that this was actually a tribute to the fallen and a statement about war itself you are as dense as the average poster on this thread......
This was NOT an act of disrespect to the fallen.rather it was a statement about the futility of war.

Aside, anybody get arrested for the Piss/Christ thing?
No? thats because those in control want to get rid of religion.......
but not wars...
edit on 12-11-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I see this as just his point of view, dont know whats in his head, good or bad feelings of the day and reason the poppy worn, however...we do have the right for artistic ideas and showing our individualism in such ways? Do we not? A famous picture was called "the falling man" millions have seen it, and it remained published and the photographer did not go to jail...and this was a real man jumping from a building...the old Nam tapes, one most have seen of a vietnamese boy being shot in the head...still able to find that one...hell some even watch the Kennedy shooting over and over on youtube looking for the grassy knoll shooter...
All I am saying is there are real time, real life issues that can put people up in arms, raise debates and force discussions...maybe he wished to have done the same, maybe he was mad the UK government has not treated their vets so well? There can be many reasons he posted it and might not be to piss people off, but to make them think and wonder and question?
Maybe he just wanted to stir the pot...but being arrested for posting something NOT the norm on FB? well well, then...I guess its time to start writing postcards again and stay off the net....

~suth

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by celticniall
Think the issue here is freedom of expression.

If people don't agree with wearing a poppy, it shouldnt be a crime.

Believe it or not, a lot of people see this poppy wearing as remembering the soldiers that murdered and raped people and lands in Ireland, Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine, etc.....

I'm not saying that is my opinion, but when someone posts their protest over this, and gets arrested, does that not amount to a "comply or else" mentality.
When will peaceful protest be criminalised?

How far can you go the express your opinion without now being arrested?

So what if he burned it, and we are not actually sure he did......all he did was post the image.

This is one of the reasons why Remembrance day is losing its impact for the younger generations, because people no longer just associate it with the heroes who fought in wars like WWII or WWI, it's now associated with the current lot who are fighting wars we know aren't right, helping to kill at least tens of thousands of innocents in the process. It's a shame that the heroes who laid down their lifes to defend our freedoms are having their image tarnished by association with soldiers fighting immoral wars for financial gain

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd0Fengland
I'm pleased they got arrested as what the poppy stands for and represents its all to do with remembrance day which i believe you call veterans day in the state's, why is it any different to burning a quran or any other item which is symbolic to people. [/quote

Many of my family members died in the war. I honour the fact that they where fighting for our freedom. This man acted in very bad taste. His arrest however does not honour those that died in the war. As the adage goes. I might not agree with what you have to say. But I will defend your right to say it....

Since when bad taste become a crime...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I'm pleased they got arrested as what the poppy stands for and represents its all to do with remembrance day which i believe you call veterans day in the state's, why is it any different to burning a quran or any other item which is symbolic to people.

It isn't a "Holy" Book, that is the difference, when i think of poppies i think of all the smack now in britain thanks to the taliban being kept under control by the army.
Burn a poppy in front of a jihadi, he will applaud you, try and set fire to a koran.....

Just because the flanders fields are carpeted with poppies and they are seen as a symbol of remembrance is not justification to arrest someone for burning one, an effigy of a poppy used for remembrance or otherwise.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

Thank You! People burn, flags, a poppy-picture, the portrait of a dictator, head-scarves, books, court sentences even themselves in sign of protest!
So why should we attribute more valour to a cardboard poppy than to the freedom of a person. Hypocrisy is the word that describes our society best, sad times indeed!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

reply to post by woodwardjnr

cause they can but its when free speech becomes hate speech and if its going to cause public outcry which in England it will, I suppose you think this was ok or comical Has he no respect? Disgraceful moment man dressed as devil gatecrashed Remembrance Day service on a skateboard
edit on 12-11-2012 by jd0Fengland because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Link format altered to prevent it distorting the page - Jak
edit on 12/11/12 by JAK because: (no reason given)

Oh grow up! This was not hate speech, there were no threats of violence, this was one person making a statement.
It offended people, and now it seems the law depends on how many people you upset rather than any ACTUAL LAW being broken!

As others have said, where do we draw the line? What if an artist creates something that offends the church, should they be arrested? How about cartoonists insulting a politician, should they be arrested if enough people are upset by it?

This is a worrying precedent. We've seen people being arrested for making jokes on Twitter, people detained for being racist, and while I might not agree with their opinion, as long as they are not directly threatening or abusing someone they have EVERY RIGHT to do as they please.

I am getting sick and tired of this "public trial" BS in the UK, where police action is being led not by law, but by public opinion. We cannot live in a fair and just society when people can be arrested for committing NO CRIME!

I don't care how disgusting YOU think it is, the person did not break any laws and can now prosecute the police for false arrest, and I hope he sues the ass off them!

edit on 12-11-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by The X

To people like me every pettle represents a dead mate who I personally had to to revive by doing ECC on their actual hearts...

I did that...

They may have not died for you but they DID for me and his mates.. If you cant respect that then be prepared for a good hiding if you bother to try..

We hate celebrities or politicians trying to make their careers and money out of us..

These days we stand firm to remember our mates... Which makes us even more pissed off to drive crap home to those that sent us in the first place...

Think about that motherfkers

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by celticniall

how stupid..

using a poppy, the flower that contains both morphine and codeine, which makes heroin..

which gave rise to the opium wars, as a symbol of remembrance for soldiers of war?

how ironic..

now if you burn a fake one you go to jail?

how Orwellian..

this whole issue is surreal..

and I'm surprised this thread is still up

considering we can't even talk about a certain

drug that just got legalized here in a few states..

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
What crime does this fall under?

Whilst I am a supporter of our troops who put their life on the line, day in day out in Afghanistan, I do not support the reasons we are there.

I support rememberance day, because I like millions of other people had family directly effected by the 2 major conflicts of the 20th Century. It's my way of keeping my Great Grandfather's memory alive as well as both my Grandfathers.

However, to arrest someone for posting a burning poppy is absolutely orwellian and another demonstration that freedoms are being eradicated. Today it's a picture of a burning poppy, tomorrow? When hate crime was introduced, supporters of civil liberties warned that the law could be used for such things. People mocked at the time, but this is the reality.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

What exactly are you fighting for, if not your countrymen's freedoms?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Oh, and us trained killers will be given our P45's as soon as we get back from fighting wars you impotent PC warriors failed to stop coz your ire only spreads to the internet..

We as soldiers risked our own careers a few weeks ago to stop the corperate takeover of our military..

You was warned

What did you do?

Nothing as usual accept spout crap on the web...

Enjoy your brave new world without us...Coz we are sooo taking care of our own.... The mercenaries may bug you though....*shrugs*...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I don't maybe the person who posted lost lives due to enemies(who is someone else's hero) massacring them?

I guess not everyone was victorious at the end of WW1.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Most will tell you we fought for each other... Why?.. Coz when in theatre you realise cool aid has been drank but its too late... You are fighting for your survival by then... Think about that

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Ok so not fighting for freedom, but survival. Did you not join up because you thought you were fighting for freedom?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

You are more of a victim of your government enduced education system than you know...

We are on both sides of the pond made to believe that we are giving our lives for our country..

We get there.. Realise this is not so but still have to fight to stay alive... What part of you does not get that???

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This is ridiculous and i don't care if i get bashed or told that i have no respect. but who gives a sh*t. i would be more worried we're getting told what we can and can't demonstrate. it wasn't even in a violent manner. It seems everyone "does" want major restrictions on their freedoms. I know i am going to get attacked by a bunch of vets but i really don't care. America is clearly overtaken by government.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
Oh, and us trained killers will be given our P45's as soon as we get back from fighting wars you impotent PC warriors failed to stop coz your ire only spreads to the internet..

We as soldiers risked our own careers a few weeks ago to stop the corperate takeover of our military..

You was warned

What did you do?

Nothing as usual accept spout crap on the web...

Enjoy your brave new world without us...Coz we are sooo taking care of our own.... The mercenaries may bug you though....*shrugs*...

You're always crying out for attention in threads like this. Get over the fact that most people don't think you're the awesome savior of the planet that you obviously think you are, please.

Swearing at and theoretically threatening violence isn't going to win you any friends.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by EvanB

Ok so not fighting for freedom, but survival. Did you not join up because you thought you were fighting for freedom?

He signed up for praise, by the looks of things. Every time this topic comes up he's throwing his dummy out the pram, sulking that he and his soldier mates aren't being revered as gods and protectors of humanity

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join