It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man has been arrested for posting an image of a burning poppy!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Where does this end?

A guy arrested for posting an image to facebook of a burning poppy.

Now no matter if people agree or disagree with the actual image, what criminal offence has been committed here?

....and where does it end?

Man held for FB image

I have no opinion of wearing poppys and think everyone should have the right to choose. Same way as we should be able to post what we like..........this is just nuts!

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by celticniall

Surely the reason millions of men died in rhese wars is so we have the freedoms to do as we please and express our opinions, no matter how abhorrent?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Someone explain this to me. Why is this an issue. I'm 'Meriican.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

November 11th is remembrance day in the uk for all those who lost their lives in wars. People wear a cardboard poppy to represent the poppies that grew on the fields of France and Belgium after the 1st world war. They have become somewhat sacrosanct in the British psyche, so abusing these icons is taken with a lot of offence. So someone has burnt one posted I n the net and for some reason the police are holding him.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 12-11-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I'm pleased they got arrested as what the poppy stands for and represents its all to do with remembrance day which i believe you call veterans day in the state's, why is it any different to burning a quran or any other item which is symbolic to people.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I reread the title like 5 times making sure it didn't say puppy

I was gonna say GOOD!!

but it's poppy

can some one give me a list or something of what I can do and say living in the US ?
Seems people have been getting bashed / arrested for doing stuff that was thought to be
a freedom yet...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd0Fengland
I'm pleased they got arrested as what the poppy stands for and represents its all to do with remembrance day which i believe you call veterans day in the state's, why is it any different to burning a quran or any other item which is symbolic to people.

This is what I meant by making a cardboard poppy sacrosanct. I had to check that word just to make sure it meant what it did.

People shouldn't be arrested for burning a Koran or a poppy.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by Domo1

November 11th is remembrance day in the uk for all those who lost their lives in wars. People wear a cardboard poppy to represent the poppies that grew on the fields of France and Belgium after the 1st world war. They have become somewhat sacrosanct in the British psyche, so abusing these icons is taken with a lot of offence. So someone has burnt one posted I n the net and for some reason the police are holding him.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 12-11-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

Thank you for explaining this, i read your OP and saw the picture and had NO CLUE what this was about...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Think the issue here is freedom of expression.

If people don't agree with wearing a poppy, it shouldnt be a crime.

Believe it or not, a lot of people see this poppy wearing as remembering the soldiers that murdered and raped people and lands in Ireland, Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine, etc.....

I'm not saying that is my opinion, but when someone posts their protest over this, and gets arrested, does that not amount to a "comply or else" mentality.
When will peaceful protest be criminalised?

How far can you go the express your opinion without now being arrested?

So what if he burned it, and we are not actually sure he did......all he did was post the image.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I figured it was something along those lines. Thanks for explaining it so well. So for us Yanks it would be akin to burning the flag. I'm no fan of flag burners but I am a fan of people expressing their opinion without being jailed. I don't want to live in a world where pissing others off is illegal. What would I do with myself?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I totally thought you said a man burned a puppy I was thinking GOOD I'm glad he got arrested.

But a poppy?
I guess it's good to uphold standards for society. I feel like people are too free these days and they abuse it.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jd0Fengland

. The problem comes when one has their own grievance and wants to make a demonstration that may cause offence to certain people. Should one not be allowed to demonstrate their beliefs in a free country?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Socrato

I'm hoping you're tongue was so far in your cheek it made a hole.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
It's highly disrespectful and an insult to all those brave people who have served in our Armed Forces over the years.
As disgusting as it is as far as I'm aware it breaks no laws unless accompanied by hateful text etc, and quite ironically his arrest is contrary to the basic rights and principles that many of those people fought for.

I wonder if there has been an attempt to provide a bit of balance here - there has been much criticism recently of the inequality of sentences recently handed out to - two men received a 12month prison sentence for spray painting a poppy on a Mosque wall, a Muslim was handed a £50 fine for spray painting "islam will dominate osama is coming" on a War Memorial.

Personally I fail to understand why Muslims are so offended by the Poppy appeal and Remembrance Sunday and the actions of those showing such wilful and deliberate disregard and disrespect are only further alienating the Muslim population from the rest of the UK - but, and it's a massive but, I don't think that disregard and disrespect should be a criminal offence.

I find it contemptible and unforgiveable that people have taken full advantage of this nation, it's freedoms and all it has to offer yet are so keen to insult the memories of those fought to defend and gain those rights - but if we deny them the opportunity to do so we are becoming replica's of the #holeistans that they came from and which they would have us turn into.
edit on 12/11/12 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

cause they can but its when free speech becomes hate speech and if its going to cause public outcry which in England it will, I suppose you think this was ok or comical Has he no respect? Disgraceful moment man dressed as devil gatecrashed Remembrance Day service on a skateboard
edit on 12-11-2012 by jd0Fengland because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Link format altered to prevent it distorting the page - Jak
edit on 12/11/12 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Socrato

I'm hoping you're tongue was so far in your cheek it made a hole.

I guess I said that wrong. People are NOT too free these days but they are almost all idiots. It's hard to treat a society of immature idiots with much respect.

I don't know a percentage but I would have to guess that a high estimate would be only 20% of people in western society still have their wits about them.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd0Fengland

cause they can but its when free speech becomes hate speech and if its going to cause public outcry which in England it will, I suppose you think this was ok or comical Has he no respect? Disgraceful moment man dressed as devil gatecrashed Remembrance Day service on a skateboard
edit on 12-11-2012 by jd0Fengland because: (no reason given)

My point exactly. F people like this "devil" in the article. I mean, get some respect and some decency as a human being and maybe you'll be treated in kind..
edit on 12-11-2012 by Socrato because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Quoted link format altered to prevent it distorting the page - Jak
edit on 12/11/12 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Socrato

I think 20% is rather gracious.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I can't believe I'm saying it, but I think it's a good thing that he was arrested. I'm from the US and we have all that First Amendment, free speech, business. But I understand England doesn't.

England has, I think, decided that offending people is criminal. Yes, I know I've over-simplified. If that's the case, though, certainly anti-English insults should be punished as severly as anti-Muslim insults.

(There's more I wanted to say, but I don't know how.)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jd0Fengland

Look mate I have a lot of respect for those who have served and are still serving, but no it does not bother me that some guy made a fool of himself on remembrance day. I myself slightly have to hold back a bit of vomit when I see the likes of Tony Blair laying down a reef of poppies at the cenotaph.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join